Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,084 members, 7,880,383 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 05:13 PM

Navy Captain Shehu’s Abuse Of Power, By Dolly Etuk - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Navy Captain Shehu’s Abuse Of Power, By Dolly Etuk (749 Views)

Buhari Reacts To Human Rights Reports Alleging Abuse of Female IDPs in the North / "Buhari Was Joking About Aisha Belonging To His Kitchen Comment" - Garba Shehu / Iweala’s Latest Jobs Raise Concern Over Abuse Of Office And Conflict Of Interest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Navy Captain Shehu’s Abuse Of Power, By Dolly Etuk by kemilayo(f): 10:32am On Jan 21, 2015
http://theeagleonline.com.ng/navy-captain-shehus-abuse-of-power-by-dolly-etuk/
[img][/img]

I had the most horrible experience on Monday, 19th January 2015. However, I thank God for sparing my life, my friend’s and the life of Semiu, who was driving us.
At about 3pm on this day, we were driving at about 70km per hour through Ozumba Mbadiwe road in Victoria Island, a freeway – there was no traffic. Suddenly we saw a Volkswagen Tiguan car reversing out of the Department of Petroleum Resources office with a security man directing the car to come out. At the speed level we were, our driver had to apply his brakes suddenly as the Tiguan car’s rear was already sticking out to the highway. While trying to manoeuvre to stop on time to avoid hitting this Tiguan car, there was a long trailer at top speed on the other lane, so we couldn’t swerve off to the other lane to avoid ramming into the trailer. The driver, left with no choice, had to maintain the same lane. The Tiguan vehicle had at this time reversed into the front of our car and we hit it slightly. Then, we heard a loud bang from behind. We had been hit by another car behind us. This pushed our vehicle hard so we rammed into the Tiguan car with full force. It was a bad accident. The driver behind us had to apply his brakes suddenly too because we had done so and was unable to swerve off to the next lane because of the trailer. It was a three-car collision.
Naturally, we were in shock. Thankfully, my friend, who sat in the passengers seat in front, had been saved by the seat belt as it pulled her back as her head made for the windshield.
We came down unhurt, agitated and angry, wondering why anyone would try to reverse into the free way without making sure cars had stopped first. Livid, we asked the security man why? He couldn’t respond. Eyewitnesses had trooped out by this time, saying we were very lucky because if we had panicked and swerved to other lane, the long trailer, fully loaded with iron rod, would have crushed us.
The driver of the Tiguan car, a Hausa Muslim lady, covered in hijab, a staff of DPR, came out saying she wasn’t at fault and we were lying about what had just happened. My friend, who was utterly disgusted by this woman’s insensitivity and effrontery on this near death experience, became hysterical, attacked her by saying: “How dare you say that? We nearly died here.” The woman chuckled in response. My friend goes on, almost in tears: “What’s funny to you? “What’s funny?”
All this time I was silent, still trying to gather myself. Soon after, co-workers from DPR rushed out to find out what happened. We started explaining. Some of them agreed that the woman was wrong. Some said it was the security man that misled her. Others said the man who rammed into us from behind was driving too close. And then the drama began. Our car, a silver Toyota Corrolla, was the only one badly damaged with broken lights, fender and crushed bumper. Who would take responsibility? The finger pointing went on and on. This lady wouldn’t come out of her car. So it became a matter between us and her colleagues from DPR who intervened. Apparently she had a plan. So many people came out of the DPR office saying different things. So I said: “There must be a safety manager or security manager at this company to assess this incident.” None came. Just different men coming out saying we were wrong.
Finally, a gentleman came forward and said he admits the fault was from the vehicle reversing into the road, as it was dangerous but we should just move on by driving the car into the panel beater in the next compound’s workshop so our car would be repaired. As we were trying to negotiate on who would pay for the repairs, a uniformed Naval officer with a name badge, A. Shehu, surfaced with a few other men and then the story changed. Not knowing what this officer’s mission was, we gathered round to find out. He asks: “What happened here?” In military tone. Our driver, not being so articulate, I decided to explain. After my explanation, the Naval officer said the woman was not responsible for the accident and will not repair any car. I was stunned. Then I said to the man, we have to be fair and objective here. This is just your opinion as you weren’t here when it happened but from the facts, it is glaring that the woman’s car caused the three-car accident. Officer A. Shehu said no way, it won’t be fixed. I made bold to say that a uniformed man should not come to bamboozle us about what is clear to the eyes on this matter.
“We are in democracy,” I went on to say. So we stood there and didn’t move. We then realized that Naval officer A. Shehu was the woman’s husband. So he simply failed to accept that his wife was at fault and wanted to use his uniform to intimidate us. Someone in the crowd then suggested: Let’s call the Federal Road Safety Corps to tell us who is guilty here as there was a deadlock. Two hours later, we were still there, finger pointing going on, no road safety to be found, DPR staff blocked in their building as a result of the drama. It was a mess. Then the police were invited. At this time, I had contacted my elder brother who stays at 1004, not far away, about me being in an accident. So he was on his way to help.
The policemen came, two of them, assessed the accident scene, took statements from all parties and concluded that this Mrs. Shehu of DPR was at fault. It was a clear fact. My brother had arrived. He then told my friend and I to go relax as we looked distraught and then he went ahead to listen to the assessment by the police. At the end of it all, despite the fact that it was clear to all parties that Mrs. Shehu was the cause of the accident and the police had given their final verdict, A. Shehu, a uniformed Naval officer, said they were not going to accept responsibility and would not repair our car. The policemen being junior in rank to this Navy Captain, could not have us taken to the station or do anything further. Mr. Shehu went on to say that my friend shouted at his wife and wanted to beat her (according to his wife), therefore he would not fix the car if she wasn’t apologized to. I was dazed. My brother asked us to just relax. My friend didn’t apologize to his wife, so Mr. Shehu and his wife didn’t accept responsibility. My brother and his friend who had come to help us, being mature men told us not to worry, we would fix the car ourselves. So we got in the car and went home. They told us that the officer had apologized but still didn’t accept responsibility to repair the car. I didn’t understand what that meant but I didn’t want to argue as my brother told us to leave and that the car will be fixed. We drove off. My brothers called their panel beater and the car was taken for repairs.
At the end of the story. It saddens me deeply that in Nigeria of today, a Naval officer who is supposed to uphold the law can oppress civilians, cheat them out of their right and just walk away with his wife who had caused an accident that could have had three people badly injured or worst killed if not for the driver’s experience.
My questions are: Why would a Naval officer trample upon the accident assessment and verdict of the Police who were doing their jobs? Is he above the law?
Why would his wife feel that she can cause an accident or any situation at all and then call her husband to save her whether she is right or wrong.
The eyewitnesses around told us that were the driver alone, he would have be taken somewhere and beaten up. That we should be thankful that we could even express ourselves and defend ourselves a bit. What this means to me is that a poor, uneducated person would have been treated worse. This is the height of injustice.
This Naval officer had confirmation that his wife was wrong and wanted to compel a civilian to apologize to his wife before doing the right thing. So, for him, his wife is a goddess other women must never raise their voice at because she’s married to a Captain. What would a Major General then do? Shoot at sight?
My car will be fixed by us BUT this is not the message. The message is Justice and the abuse of power. What if I didn’t have my brothers to help me? What if I didn’t have have any money or insurance to fix my car? This is for all the people out there that Navy Captain A. Shehu or any other military officer may want to cheat. I say: “You are not above the law.” This is Democracy.
This DPR lady and her Naval husband got away with cheating us. Despite knowing the right thing to do, he insisted not to “Just because”. Please know that it wasn’t an issue of whether the man couldn’t pay for the repairs. He simply refused to accept responsibility because his Diva wife was insulted/or wanted to be beaten (whatever that means). Ego over Justice.
I will never forget this day and the memory it leaves. It’s 3:40am and I’m unable to sleep as the whole experience keeps running through my head. My whole body in pains from the impact of the accident and the stress that followed.
I hereby appeal to anyone who knows anyone in the Navy to call officer A. Shehu to order to stop taking advantage of his uniform in whatever manner for his wife. People may not have military connection, but have their rights. I have my pen. Walking free from us today, feeling fulfilled that they have cheated some people out, it is certain that they will do it again. They must be stopped before then.
Dolly Etuk is a lawyer based in Lagos.

Re: Navy Captain Shehu’s Abuse Of Power, By Dolly Etuk by Nobody: 10:48am On Jan 21, 2015
summary of the whole story cause this novel is too much for me to read I beg.
Re: Navy Captain Shehu’s Abuse Of Power, By Dolly Etuk by starlingbawa(m): 11:02am On Jan 21, 2015
I feel your pain. The sad reality is that Nigeria has been that way since the inception of the polity. A continent where the 'rule of law' hardly applies.

A security personnel who is supposed to uphold the law and protect the citizenry is NOW the one spooking and bending the law to the detriment of the ordinary man on the street and bringing bias into the situation because a family member was involved.

One can only wonder where we are heading to in this country? God help us!!!

It's just saddening...

1 Like

Re: Navy Captain Shehu’s Abuse Of Power, By Dolly Etuk by starlingbawa(m): 11:04am On Jan 21, 2015
wilsondave:
summary of the whole story cause this novel is too much for me to read I beg.

I'm surprised you couldn't take the pain to read something this important?

1 Like

Re: Navy Captain Shehu’s Abuse Of Power, By Dolly Etuk by Trailblazer1(m): 11:06am On Jan 21, 2015
Buhari did more..............

Yet without a certificate
Re: Navy Captain Shehu’s Abuse Of Power, By Dolly Etuk by doctokwus: 11:14am On Jan 21, 2015
Knowing that the op is a lawyer even makes this case annoying.
The op is a lawyer,claims to be right with police conclusion of same,yet at the end of the day ends up having her car damaged,injuries sustained and still bares the cost of repairs without ensuring that d culprit and her husband who is clearly a danger to society is appropriately sanctioned by a court of law.
Why we find it difficult to stand up for our rights when infringed and ensure justice is served beats me hollow in Nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

PDP Fund Raising Dinner Now Showing On AIT....!!! / I Will Also Denounce My Christianity If Voting GEJ Is What Makes One A Christian / Naij: Can Buhari, APC Deliver The Change They've Promised?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.