Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,603 members, 7,908,532 topics. Date: Friday, 02 August 2024 at 08:22 AM

Used To Vs. Use To - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Used To Vs. Use To (300 Views)

14 Methods Humans Have Used To Dispose Their Deads Throughout History. / Can A Degree In Biochemistry Be Used To Study Medicine Via Direct Entry ? / Big Lies We Used To Tell Friends In HIGH SCHOOL (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Used To Vs. Use To by TRWConsult(m): 5:01pm On Jan 23, 2015
Which is correct –
He USED to go to the game on Friday.
He USE to go to the game on Friday.

When the statement is positive, as in the reader’s example, the expression is used to.

In negative statements, the expression is use to. For example, “He didn’t use to go to the game on Friday.”

The expressions are used to speak about things that were habitually done in the past. Both used and use are followed by an infinitive. For example:

We used to play baseball every Saturday.

I used to live in Cleveland.

There used to be a house on that corner.

The d is dropped when the sentence is negative:

I didn’t use to worry about money.

I didn’t use to celebrate Christmas.

There didn’t use to be a gas station on that corner.

Here are some current examples from the Web:

Chris Pratt Used To Live In A Scooby Doo Van

Pope Francis reveals he used to work as a bar bouncer

He [Jon Stewart] didn’t use to care and his show was funnier.

Actors didn’t use to be celebrities.

Women didn’t use to talk politics in this country.

I used to tell people we’d sell everything but the kitchen sink.

I used to love this view

Positive sentence: used to.
Negative sentence with didn’t: use to.

Courtesy: Daily Writing Tips

(1) (Reply)

Etl Testing Online Training In India / Project Topics And Materials In Mathematics / ORACLE SOA Online Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.