Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,121 members, 7,900,006 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 01:47 AM

Landlord Threatens To Evict Me After Renovation And Rent Payment - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Landlord Threatens To Evict Me After Renovation And Rent Payment (1046 Views)

Two Nigerians In Dublin Fight Their Landlord Who Wanted To Evict Them (Video) / Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise / Before & After: Renovation/Remodelling Jobs Full Of Surprises (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Landlord Threatens To Evict Me After Renovation And Rent Payment by miracle11: 5:34am On Jan 24, 2015
Good morning peeps. Pls I need ur advice concerning a matter. I payed for a 2 bedroom apartment which wasn't too neat, but I went ahead to do renovations cos I liked d location. Dis landlord was said to be a minister and someone of integrity. He immediately travelled for a burial which delayed collection of my reciept. Bt thank God I have bank evidence of transaction. While I was renovating I parked my car in d compound, wen I went away one of his boys deflated my tires saying I have nt moved in so it wasn't right for me to park my car in d compound. I asked him to fix my tire, he ignored me and everyone. I called d landlord bt got no positive response. So I went to d police and mde a case. D landlord came and ws solidly behind d boy. He even tried to convince d police dat he hsnt issued me reciet and there was no agreement but admitted dat I had paid him. Thank God d police pointed out to him dat it means he is fraudlent and dat if he continues wit dat statement dey would detain him. He den backed down. Eventually d boy ws detained until d landlord fixed d tires and bailed him. D next day d landlord told me to pack out and dat I should wait till a tenant pays him for d place before he refunds me. I refused and am still in d house. I did not say I wanted to leave so if he wants me out he should refund me completely and immediately including for renovations. Pls am I wrong or am I doing d right thing. And is my action within d law. If nt wat do I do?
Re: Landlord Threatens To Evict Me After Renovation And Rent Payment by uboma(m): 5:50am On Jan 24, 2015
Was there a time lag between the period you moved in and the time you paid the rental fees into his account?

I will advise that you hire the services of a qualified Lawyer to serve the Landlord a letter with regards refunding you in full (renovations+rental fees).

1 Like

Re: Landlord Threatens To Evict Me After Renovation And Rent Payment by Nobody: 6:30am On Jan 24, 2015
You didn't start on a good footing bro. You should have been wiser and diplomatic now you don messed things up. You didn't have to call the police at first I believe if you had related cordially with the boy he would have at least waited for his oga and not gone to the extent of deflating. Plus you've already used police against the landlord and now on principle he hates you and just wants you out. I wonder why the landlord didn't pass information across to his boy about you initially? I guess there was already break of communication then...you need to be a people person bro.

lawyer and police things are just more expenses and bad blood. You deserve Peace in your home. My advice would be to go with an elder and apologize to him, promising him you're all for peace going forward. Let your Elder do the talking and negotiation and I believe the issue would be sorted out.

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Threatens To Evict Me After Renovation And Rent Payment by Chaleeee: 6:36am On Jan 24, 2015
Get the service of a lawyer to notify him on your request for repayment immediately. That kind of environment is not healthy to live in. You guys started on the wrong footing. And pls don't treat this with levity. Landlords are known to have this Shylock tendencies.

1. Get a lawyer
2. Let him know you want your money in full.
3. Gather the receipts of all the cost incurred during the renovations.
4. Pray
Re: Landlord Threatens To Evict Me After Renovation And Rent Payment by uboma(m): 7:55am On Jan 24, 2015
chukux2:
You didn't start on a good footing bro. You should have been wiser and diplomatic now you don messed things up. You didn't have to call the police at first I believe if you had related cordially with the boy he would have at least waited for his oga and not gone to the extent of deflating. Plus you've already used police against the landlord and now on principle he hates you and just wants you out. I wonder why the landlord didn't pass information across to his boy about you initially? I guess there was already break of communication then...you need to be a people person bro.

lawyer and police things are just more expenses and bad blood. You deserve Peace in your home. My advice would be to go with an elder and apologize to him, promising him you're all for peace going forward. Let your Elder do the talking and negotiation and I believe the issue would be sorted out.

Why should he beg the Landlord? For what nah! Please I do not subscribe to that. And FYI, did you not read in his post where he said the Landlord's boy deflated his tires in his absence? So what opportunity did he get to relate cordially with the boy before the tires were deflated? He did the right thing reporting the matter to the Police.
Re: Landlord Threatens To Evict Me After Renovation And Rent Payment by Nobody: 8:10am On Jan 24, 2015
uboma:

Why should he beg the Landlord? For what nah! Please I do not subscribe to that. And FYI, did you not read in his post where he said the Landlord's boy deflated his tires in his absence? So what opportunity did he get to relate cordially with the boy before the tires were deflated? He did the right thing reporting the matter to the Police.

Uboma you too like fight and gra gra. I believe there would have been a diplomatic way to relate to the boy that he would have out of respect at least wait to hear from his oga. Plus it's best generally to settle issues amicably without bringing in the police. The way i see it the Landlord is pissed mainly because of the police incident. And ultimately no one wants wahala so why waste money on police and lawyers if the issue can be resolved amicably. I still insist you meet the landlord with an elder who he can relate with. I'm not saying apologize and beg to make yourself look like a sorry little boy, i'm saying apologize for the inconveniences, pledge towards peace and when all tempers are cooled dialogue and settle differences. Na the same thing you and landlord dey find: peace for months to come and mutually benefiting association. Landlord need money, you need accommodation. why not allow peace to reign so you can both be satisfied.
Re: Landlord Threatens To Evict Me After Renovation And Rent Payment by yemmit90: 8:29am On Jan 24, 2015
uboma:

In my opinion, he shouldn't have called the police. By being a gentle man at that moment, the boy would've respected him the more and probably apologized for his action.

There are people like that, they use to be so crazy, stubborn or disrespect/frustrate you. All you need to do is to be humble and stylishly make them come back to their sense. They're the most friendly people and can die for you if you know how to handle them.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

A 5-bedroom Flat Apartment Within Osogbo For Urgent Sale / Is This Dimension Upto 2 Plots Of Land. / Distress Sale 650sqm Land At Royal Garden Est Lekki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.