Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,370 members, 7,907,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 01 August 2024 at 05:26 PM

Dicey Isn't It? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Dicey Isn't It? (590 Views)

Isn't It Fun To Be With Them???? / Isn't This A Valid Reason To Shun Marriage? / Isn't She Lovely(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dicey Isn't It? by higherheights(f): 8:23pm On Jan 25, 2015
Was bathing my little girl this evening, age 4 to be precise and I asked her "what should you say when someone wants to touch your bum-bum?( having taught her to say no) and she said a soft 'no',i told her the 'no' must be emphatic and then I asked her again and she said an emphatic "NO".
A thought now came to me, what if my child run to me and say this uncle or aunt touched my bum-bum,and the said uncle or aunt is my brother or sister(a close family member) how can I ascertain that what my child is saying is true or not?

I'm asking this because from all the stories of abuse,its either it's an uncle or aunt,or someone very close and sometimes you hear parents telling the child to shut up!
Re: Dicey Isn't It? by emeraldoe(f): 9:44pm On Jan 25, 2015
U can ask her to demonstrate how her bum bum was touched, it'll determine ur actions. I av a girl who is also 4 and anyone dat touches her bum, she reports to me. I tactically tell dem dat my daughter doesn't like her bum being touched(even close family members). She won't even hide to tell me, she shouts it immediately
Re: Dicey Isn't It? by mutter(f): 10:31pm On Jan 25, 2015
The consequences of not believing the truth far outweigh the consequences of believing a lie to be true in this case.
I hope that answers your questions.

One of the greatest problems facing abuse victims is that no one believes them.
Many kid`s remain silent victims for fear of telling their parents and for fear of not being believed.
Much worse, is when they believe that their parent´s would blame them for it.

I knew this child many years back that got caught by the nanny stealing foodstuffs to eat from the store. The nanny threatened to report to the parents and she got so scared of being beaten that she cried and begged the nanny. This went on for days. It was a torture because the nanny would threaten her with it every day and start moving in the direction of the sitting room, like she was going to report.
Finally the nanny told her that if she let her do something to her she would never report her and that was how the ordeal started. She abused the girl for ages and no one knew what was going on. Very often she would rub a straw sponge on her privates and they would be all sore and bleed for days.

I wonder if the parents ever realized what they had exposed their daughter to out of fear, the fear of telling the parents of the abuse or of being caught being abused was a constant nightmare she lived in, perhaps even more scary than the abuse.
The sad thing about it is tha the parent`s would probably have believed her and protected her, but children that are scared of their parent`s cannot assess that far.

1 Like

Re: Dicey Isn't It? by bennyrazz: 10:52pm On Jan 25, 2015
when I really want to do something, I really don't have second thoughts, now @op, you have done what a mother will do, why havingsecond thoughts?

1 Like

Re: Dicey Isn't It? by higherheights(f): 6:06am On Jan 26, 2015
@ Bennyrazz, I was just concerned about parents who are caught between their child and their brother or sister! Some will say they have a cordial relationship with their siblings(i.e the uncles and aunties) and believing their children or confronting the abuser will soil their relationship,as such they'd rather not talk about it.
Re: Dicey Isn't It? by bennyrazz: 8:10am On Jan 26, 2015
you are doing what is morally right so you shouldn't be concerned about your brothers/sisters, be concerned about your child. The only thing you should do is to always make sure she tells the truth . Test her with things you know the answer to, when she lies, you scold her. By that if anyone touches her bum be it anyone, she tells you. Make her understand she shouldn't be afraid to tell you things. Sit down, gist with her about kids stuff, about school, her friends, teachers etc sometimes eat together from the same plate.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Call For Help / Is It Wrong That He Cares For His Fathers Sight? / Who Remembers This Important Exam Weapon? ;D

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.