Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,564 members, 7,951,362 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 02:43 PM

Who Can Handle A Database Project? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Who Can Handle A Database Project? (948 Views)

I Need Steps To Creating A Database Using Wampserver / Save Facebook Comments Into A Database / Php/mysql. Does Every Php Script Need A Database? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Can Handle A Database Project? by Mixxed: 8:32pm On Dec 26, 2008
Hi Guys,

I need someone to work with on a database project. As a website designer (though I have been experimenting on database on my own), this is may eventually be my first database project and I need your help. From the Excel spread sheet sample I saw, it looks like the project will be a bit complex.

There are three things I need right now and they are,

1. Someone to go through the Excel Spread Sheet to determine the necessary question to ask and if you can handle it. The Spread Sheet has been attached

2. State how much you will collect on the project

3. Advise me on how much I should charge my client.

Please, I need the immediate response of anyone who feels he can be of assistance.

You can also send a mail to Ikej40@yahoo.com or send SMS to 08025189515 (its a deaf and dumb phone)

The truth be say, I no wan fall my hand because the client respects me a lot.

Thanks a million!

Mixxed

Re: Who Can Handle A Database Project? by OmniPotens(m): 8:57pm On Dec 26, 2008
Are you trying to write a program that will handle online ticketing? Is that the main concept?

From what I see here, it's like a receipt or a daily sales inventory. Hope I'm right?

Well, throw more light on what you want to do with this.
Re: Who Can Handle A Database Project? by paribus(m): 12:52am On Dec 27, 2008
@Mixxed

As has been rightly pointed out by OmniPotens, you would need to provide more information to help the people that would need to help you.  I want to believe that the attached spreadsheet would not be the only briefing you got from  your client - while taken at face value it might seem to contain quite some information, I doubt if this on its own would suffice to design and subsequently build an effective database. 

Ideally you would want to provide more information on the business process(es) that generated the information contained in the spreadsheet - descriptions detailing business variables and rules would be important in deriving an entity-relationship diagram covering the business logic that your client might want to have implement within the DB-driven web application. This would eventually form the basis for designing and building a feasible (read normalized) backend DB to the proposed web application.

In the absence of such information, I think it would be too early to expect reasonable quotes for collaboration on this project or advising you on figures to charge the client - but then again you might have people willing to give some ball park figures regardless.

On the whole, having pointed out the high regards you command with the client, I would say tread carefully and take care to ensure you do your due diligence in fully understanding the client requirements before rushing to quote for the job - better to turn down a job and leave your integrity intact than taking on work in a haste and end up disappointing the client. With a detailed knowledge of what your client wants, I'm sure there are developers here that are capable of delivering your required solution (within budget, in time, meeting and exceeding your expectations).

I am neither a web developer nor a database designer, just chipping in my 2 kobos worth from my limited knowledge. Regards
Re: Who Can Handle A Database Project? by OmniPotens(m): 7:52am On Dec 27, 2008
Nice words Paribus.

If you understood what is involved here so well as this, I hope the poster should understand even better.

How are you enjoying your xmas tide?

Merry Xmas!
Re: Who Can Handle A Database Project? by Mixxed: 1:32pm On Dec 27, 2008
Thanks guys,

The truth is that the client is based in Port Harcourt and was referred to me true
a previous client.

I aprreciate your contributions (Omnipotens and paribus) greatly. I'll get back to the client immediately
to ask same questions afterwhich I will also update you guys.

Well, I strongly beleive sey man wei dey ask questions no dey miss road.

Once again, thanks and complimets of the season.
Re: Who Can Handle A Database Project? by yawatide(f): 3:11pm On Dec 27, 2008
08025189515 (its a deaf and dumb phone)
Yet another candidate 4 quote of the year tongue

On a more serious note, I have looked at the spreadsheet and unless I am missing something, the spreadsheet doesn't say anything that would help me code the site and/or give you a price. Question(s): Are you just doing data entry for the different included reports (in other words, a DB may not be required and you can hardcode those values without any DB involved)? Are you to build forms that collect the data as represented in those sheets? Are you actually sharing with us everything regarding the project?

I would request a word document from the client detailing exactly what he wants. Personally, without ironed out requirements, I can't give an estimate and I can't give a price. Even if it means delaying the project a few weeks (though you probably could use the money now) or losing the project altogether, always insist on requirements. At the end of the day, it is good for both you and the client.
Re: Who Can Handle A Database Project? by smartsoft(m): 3:21pm On Dec 27, 2008
hummmm na wah ooo
Re: Who Can Handle A Database Project? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Dec 27, 2008
@yawa, you need to let me in on this your quote of the year thing,
Re: Who Can Handle A Database Project? by Nobody: 10:56pm On Dec 27, 2008
I have a php script that can convert excel data directly into mysql query and upload it directly into a database and even dump of the result to the screen. I also have a get-my-contacts form and loads of stuffs that can help u with the project.
I can always organize an online demo of these stuffs, so u will not think i just dey lenu-pa for nutin.
Anyway, the important thing is the price. If u wish you can call me on 08027069307/07030290749/www.contact.mwebng.net
Re: Who Can Handle A Database Project? by yawatide(f): 12:25am On Dec 28, 2008
webdezzi,

It really is something unofficial per se. If I had known, I would have collected them all year. I just see a quote I like and I notify Seun to write it down. Hopefully he is. Regardless, I will start collecting such quotes next year and I guess will organize a "quote of the month/year" competition of my own.
Re: Who Can Handle A Database Project? by Mixxed: 7:23pm On Dec 29, 2008
I will be speaking with the client first thing in the morning through phone.
As soon as I'm through, I'l get back to you guys immediately.

And I sincerely do apologise that the info being made available for now is of little
or no use.

I hope by tomorrow I would have gotten better information  that will be useful,

Thanks and happy New Year in advance
Re: Who Can Handle A Database Project? by Mixxed: 5:05pm On Jan 07, 2009
@ Omnipotens, DHTML and others interested in quoting for this job.

i just spoke to my clients a few moments ago who has not been reachable because he
was in one of the remote villagers in Rivers State.

These are my findings;
1.  the project would would be to calculate staff salaries, drivers performances, fuel consumption etc

2.  they would input data from their various locations across the country.

3.  the client knows how to use excel spread sheet very well and he will supply the
     foundational data to that effect including the formulars for calculations.

4.  Only him will have acess to the changing of the formulars

5.  there could be two to three acess levels to different staff.

6.  We should decide if the staff would submit their data though a
     form at the site or directly to the database.

Summary

His staff will enter data from diferent parts of the country.
Only him will have acess to the main database and calculations
will also be carried out based on the formulars he will supply.

He has also giving a free hand to make any necessary adjustment in order to get the best result.

My Request
If there are any further questions to be asked, pls let me know promtly to enable
me forward them to the client. Remember that I have not handled such project
before  and I am only trying to create a Master Mind Team.

lastly, if you are interested in this project, just drop your contact to enable me reach you thanks.

Wishing you the best of 2009.
Re: Who Can Handle A Database Project? by FOREXMASTE(m): 8:08pm On Jan 10, 2009
Hi,
Just saw your Project online,i am interested in the project,I have done something like this before , can we meet at my office in Ilupeju for a more detailed discussion.
Re: Who Can Handle A Database Project? by oludimuni: 3:49am On Jan 11, 2009
Visit www.oakservers.net to request a quote
Re: Who Can Handle A Database Project? by Mixxed: 4:10pm On Jan 11, 2009
@oludimuni
I have sent a mail to ur box at ur site. Pls get in touch with me wit ur quote.

@FOREXMASTE
I'll call you this week

@ dhtml
I have been trying your number for days without success

I hope to conclude this arrangement this week to enable me conclude with my client
= = = = = =

See you guys later
Re: Who Can Handle A Database Project? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jan 11, 2009
I am sorry abt dat. My line (08027069307) was blocked - someone messing with the pin code. My alternative number which is active now is 07030290746 - i forgot all abt this thread - u could have contacted me thru my site too www.contact.mwebng.net

(1) (Reply)

Need Help Making Nice Menus Like This / I Cant Google My Free Site And Blogger / Pls Wat Can I Use As Payment In An Ecommerce Site

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.