Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,194 members, 7,910,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 03 August 2024 at 11:16 PM

Please Help Me Save These Students - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Please Help Me Save These Students (874 Views)

Can You Imagine What These Students Did To Their Former Teacher? / OMG! Where These Students Were Caught Studying Will Shock You (photos) / You’ll Be Shocked What These Students Were Pictured Doing After Their SSCE Exam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help Me Save These Students by simiolu1(m): 10:50am On Jan 30, 2015
It's now that I've come to appreciate the quality of education and exposure I have received in life.

To those who have made it possible (teachers, classmates, parents, sponsors, lecturers, advisers, encouragers et al), gracias. I love you all!

As a Corper serving in a missionary school in Imo state, I have encountered so many challenges.

From lateness, to indiscipline, to unseriousness, I thought I had seen it all.

However, during a SS1 Physics class this morning, I realised that my "beloved" students didn't know the multiplication table.

To say I was shocked is an understatement!
In an instant, my morale took a nosedive and I felt like weeping for this country.

I did a brief exercise and discovered that 99% of Senior Students in the school didn't know the multiplication table. When I told the SS2 students to learn it before Monday, a female student asked if I wanted them to run mad. Imagine!

I'm still asking myself where I could start teaching them from but the magnitude of the problem really dazzles me.

I really want to impart these students positively and make them better students and people.

Good people of Nairaland, if you were in my shoes, where would you start from?

Matured advices only... Thanks
Re: Please Help Me Save These Students by datguru: 10:56am On Jan 30, 2015
simiolu1:
It's now that I've come to appreciate the quality of education and exposure I have received in life.

To those who have made it possible (teachers, classmates, parents, sponsors, lecturers, advisers, encouragers et al), gracias. I love you all!

As a Corper serving in a missionary school in Imo state, I have encountered so many challenges.

From lateness, to indiscipline, to unseriousness, I thought I had seen it all.

However, during a SS1 Physics class this morning, I realised that my "beloved" students didn't know the multiplication table.

An SS1
Re: Please Help Me Save These Students by simiolu1(m): 11:18am On Jan 30, 2015
datguru:

An SS1

Thanks...
Re: Please Help Me Save These Students by Olarewajub: 4:32pm On Jan 30, 2015
This is serious.
Re: Please Help Me Save These Students by simiolu1(m): 6:44pm On Jan 30, 2015
Olarewajub:
This is serious.
So serious... Way forward please. Thanks
Re: Please Help Me Save These Students by jeebz: 7:50pm On Jan 30, 2015
One thing you can do is to prepare your curriculum based on what you have any observed because the topics in SS2 physics are not child's play.
Re: Please Help Me Save These Students by simiolu1(m): 11:08pm On Jan 30, 2015
jeebz:
One thing you can do is to prepare your curriculum based on what you have any observed because the topics in SS2 physics are not child's play.
I have d curriculum and I've tried to strictly adhere to it. But we have a situation where if they have missed a topic in an earlier class, I hav to teach that topic first before teachin them what is in d curriculum. Thanks for your contribution
Re: Please Help Me Save These Students by jeebz: 12:44am On Jan 31, 2015
simiolu1:

I have d curriculum and I've tried to strictly adhere to it. But we have a situation where if they have missed a topic in an earlier class, I hav to teach that topic first before teachin them what is in d curriculum. Thanks for your contribution
I actually mean that a student who can't recite the times table would have serious challenges with the topics in SS2 Physics. Topics like Electricity and Mechanics may prove difficult. You may need assess the real situation of the students in terms of what they lack and start from there.
I guess that you may need to assess their knowledge of elementary physics to see if it would be worthwhile to proceed with the SS2 curriculum.
Re: Please Help Me Save These Students by simiolu1(m): 1:18am On Jan 31, 2015
jeebz:

I actually mean that a student who can't recite the times table would have serious challenges with the topics in SS2 Physics. Topics like Electricity and Mechanics may prove difficult. You may need assess the real situation of the students in terms of what they lack and start from there.
I guess that you may need to assess their knowledge of elementary physics to see if it would be worthwhile to proceed with the SS2 curriculum.
Thanks for that tip... Would do just that

(1) (Reply)

North Cyprus (TRNC), International Students Destination / Most Challenging Courses To Study In Nigeria / Write For Us

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.