Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,342 members, 7,881,263 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 03:29 PM

Protesters Storm INEC Office, Demand Election Postponement L - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Protesters Storm INEC Office, Demand Election Postponement L (799 Views)

Dino Melaye's Constituents Protest To INEC Office, Demand His Recall (Photos) / Armed Soldiers Storm INEC Office In Rivers Ahead Of Re-run Election (Photos) / Protesters Storm INEC Office, Demand Postponement Of General Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Protesters Storm INEC Office, Demand Election Postponement L by Nobody: 9:22am On Feb 03, 2015
ABUJA – A group of Nigerian youths not favourably
disposed to going ahead with this month’s general
elections,due to the inability of many registered voters
to collect their Permanent Voter Cards,PVCs, protested
to the headquarters of the Independent National
Electoral Commission, INEC, yesterday,to demand
postponment.
The group, under the aegis of Forum for Democratic
Change,FDC, led by its National coordinator, Solomon
Chuks, said going ahead with the election this
month,will disenfranchise Nigerians.
Chucks,who presented the group’s protest letter to the
INEC chairman, Prof. Attahiru Jega, insisted that going
ahead with the polls will deny many Nigerians their
constitutional rights to choose their preferred leaders
through ballot.
“The PVC which is supposed to be one of the
instruments of votes has not been fully separated
around Nigeria.
“Those people who actually remain under scorching sun
to sign their names for these PVCs have not gotten
these things, yet elections are fast approaching,”he said.
He said the action of the group was the demonstration
of its anger against the commission to effectively and
successfully distribute the items to their legitimate
owners before the commencement of the polls,asking
INEC to shift the elections so that it can take care of
the situation before the elections commence.
He said: “I want to correct one impression. This is not a
protest. It is a procession to register the grievances of
the Nigerian masses as regards the coming election.
The Nigerian masses believe that what is worth doing is
worth doing well.”
They chanted for the polls postponement citing the
challenges in the Permanent Voters Cards (PVCs)
distribution and avoiding injustice to the large number
of Nigerians who could not get their PVCs.
The group, which met at the Unity Fountain, in Abuja,
matched to the INEC headquarters, holding banners and
placards that advocate for the election postponement.
Some of the placards raised by the marching youths
had inscriptions such as: “An injustice to one is an
injustice to all; “INEC do the right thing”; “We demand
for the extension of election to allow Nigerians exercise
their franchise”; “Election is for general participation, not
for selective few”;Don’t disenfranchise Nigerians” among
others.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/02/protesters-storm-inec-office-demand-election-postponement/
Re: Protesters Storm INEC Office, Demand Election Postponement L by Jorussia(m): 9:29am On Feb 03, 2015
Election will hold feb14,and by the Grace of God,nothing disastrous will happen after the winner is declared by INEC

2 Likes

Re: Protesters Storm INEC Office, Demand Election Postponement L by dhardline(m): 9:30am On Feb 03, 2015
Let them share this pvc quickly nau...let this election pass cause its delaying alot of my plans
Re: Protesters Storm INEC Office, Demand Election Postponement L by Elslim: 9:33am On Feb 03, 2015
H
Re: Protesters Storm INEC Office, Demand Election Postponement L by Raiders: 9:38am On Feb 03, 2015
M0rons!!! Is it Inec fault that many people have not collected their PVC. Even if the elections is shifted to 2019, the collection rate will still not be 100%. Some people just don't want to collect their pvc now because they don't plan on voting. Also many people have move from their original place of registration. I registered in Uniport campus when I was still attending the Uniport but I no longer live in PH and don't plan on collecting my pvc until I visit PH in 2 or 3 months time. Also many people have died or register multiple times in various states. The elections should not be postpone because of PVC, those that are serious about voting should go collect their pvc because its ready for distribution
Re: Protesters Storm INEC Office, Demand Election Postponement L by fiverrwin(f): 9:50am On Feb 03, 2015
And now it has started

1 Like

Re: Protesters Storm INEC Office, Demand Election Postponement L by OAUTemitayo: 10:25am On Feb 03, 2015
PDP
Re: Protesters Storm INEC Office, Demand Election Postponement L by butanep(m): 11:02am On Feb 03, 2015
Raiders:
M0rons!!! Is it Inec fault that many people have not collected their PVC. Even if the elections is shifted to 2019, the collection rate will still not be 100%. Some people just don't want to collect their pvc now because they don't plan on voting. Also many people have move from their original place of registration. I registered in Uniport campus when I was still attending the Uniport but I no longer live in PH and don't plan on collecting my pvc until I visit PH in 2 or 3 months time. Also many people have died or register multiple times in various states. The elections should not be postpone because of PVC, those that are serious about voting should go collect their pvc because its ready for distribution
You are very right bro... you have made a valid point. we can't even get 80% collection rate because so many things have happen after registration.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

…okorocha"s Aides, Sponsored Thugs Dehumanize Widows And Journalist In Owerri. / Tinubu Feared Buhari Would Destroy Nigeria In Yet Another Thrilling Past / ''i’ll Flee Nigeria If APC Wins'' — Bode George

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.