Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,675 members, 7,951,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 03:35 AM

Why Gen. Buhari Sentences Prof Ambrose Ali To 100 Years In Prison - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Gen. Buhari Sentences Prof Ambrose Ali To 100 Years In Prison (4614 Views)

Senate Cannot Force Hameed Ali To Wear Customs Uniform – Presidency / Nigerians Urge Ali To Wear Customs Uniform / List Of Senators That Mandated Customs Boss, Hammed Ali To Reappear In Uniform (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Gen. Buhari Sentences Prof Ambrose Ali To 100 Years In Prison by diamond88: 7:10pm On Feb 03, 2015
It would be recall that professor ambrose Ali was sentence to 100 years in prison. The buhari military government found him guilty for what he called stealing of fund and yet the professor till today has only one house in his native ekpoma town in ego state.

So tell me, why did buhari jail a good civilian administrator like that?
Re: Why Gen. Buhari Sentences Prof Ambrose Ali To 100 Years In Prison by dharyour93(m): 7:10pm On Feb 03, 2015
Hmm

1 Like

Re: Why Gen. Buhari Sentences Prof Ambrose Ali To 100 Years In Prison by diamond88: 7:11pm On Feb 03, 2015
[code][/code]

Political career
Following his academic posts, he was elected the
Governor of Bendel state, and later founded "Bendel
state University" now "Ambrose Alli University", Ekpoma.
Many campuses in Ekpoma, Abraka and Asaba were
established during his tenure. However, with the
creation of Delta State by the administration of Gen.
Babangida, the University became two Universities,
namely Delta State University, Abraka and Ambrose Alli
University, Ekpoma, posthumously named after him.
Ambrose Alli was a member of the constituent
assembly that drafted the 1978 Nigeria constitution. He
joined the Unity Party of Nigeria (UPN) and ran
successfully as UPN candidate in the Bendel State
governorship election of 1979. He brought massive
development to Bendel in different sectors, from the
establishment of numerous post-primary schools and
tertiary institutions, and massive construction of roads
and housing. His main thrust as governor was to
increase educational opportunities. He established over
600 new secondary schools, and abolished secondary
school fees. Apart from the establishment of the
University, he also established various colleges of
Education in Ekiadolor near Benin City, Agbor, Warri,
Ozoro and Agbor, and three Polytechnics, with a college
of agriculture and fishery proposed for Agenebode. He
also established four teachers training colleges to
supply staff to the new schools, as well as several other
higher educational institutions. In 1981 he laid the
foundation of the Bendel State University, which is now
named the Ambrose Alli University , Ekpoma . Other
reforms included abolishing charges for services and
drugs at state-owned hospitals and eliminating the flat-
rate tax. [1] His administration carried out massive
construction of roads to open up the rural areas. [2] In
the housing sector he built low cost housing estates in
Ugbowo, Ikpoba Hill in Benin City, and Bendel Estates in
Warri. As Governor, he always wore sandals, joking that
he was so busy working in Government House that he
never had time to buy shoes for himself. [3]
Later career
When Ambrose Alli left office in 1983, he retired to his
family house. [2] After the military government of Major-
General Muhammadu Buhari took power, he was
sentenced to 100 years in prison by a military tribunal
for allegedly misappropriating N983,000 in funds for a
road project. He was later freed when the Esama of
Benin, Chief Gabriel Igbinedion , paid a fine to the
government. [4]
Death
Shortly after being released from prison, Ambrose
Folorunsho Alli died on his 60th birthday on 22
September 1989, at the Lagos University Teaching
Hospital in Lagos . An annual Distinguished Leadership
Lecture was later established in his honour.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrose_Folorunsho_Alli
Re: Why Gen. Buhari Sentences Prof Ambrose Ali To 100 Years In Prison by orobs93(m): 7:13pm On Feb 03, 2015
Shut up and stop saying what you don't know.
Re: Why Gen. Buhari Sentences Prof Ambrose Ali To 100 Years In Prison by diamond88: 7:18pm On Feb 03, 2015
orobs93:

The truth is indeed bitter to swallow. The story was coiled from Wikipedia and it has been there.

READ UP
Re: Why Gen. Buhari Sentences Prof Ambrose Ali To 100 Years In Prison by diamond88: 7:22pm On Feb 03, 2015
orobs93:

I guess u are so young to understand the history of Nigeria, sorry history wasn't a compulsory subject in Nigeria. Thank God it's Wikipedia that said it. Am an undecided voters. I don't like pop either and apc is what I hate so much that I pity this generation. Look at the achievement of the old professor and u tell me if he doesn't have the interest of Nigeria at heart with all the development he did for bendel state now edo and delta state. But ur general kill them. *tears in my eyes* just wake up young generation.
Re: Why Gen. Buhari Sentences Prof Ambrose Ali To 100 Years In Prison by Blackfire(m): 7:38pm On Feb 03, 2015
orobs93:

oye ko je igbaju koto jeun
Re: Why Gen. Buhari Sentences Prof Ambrose Ali To 100 Years In Prison by orobs93(m): 8:40pm On Feb 03, 2015
diamond88:

I guess u are so young to understand the history of Nigeria, sorry history wasn't a compulsory subject in Nigeria. Thank God it's Wikipedia that said it. Am an undecided voters. I don't like pop either and apc is what I hate so much that I pity this generation. Look at the achievement of the old professor and u tell me if he doesn't have the interest of Nigeria at heart with all the development he did for bendel state now edo and delta state. But ur general kill them. *tears in my eyes* just wake up young generation.

I am sorry if my post offended you..what you said are very true,but I and my father were discussing this issue and my dad told me that ali was a good man and hardly touched public fund but the money who was jailed for was the money he used in bribing some government and top people then when he wanted to locate the state university at ekpoma he settled them from that money when the army took over those that he settled even left him to his faith it is true that it was esama that settled is bill..this is the little I knw my father said when they paid him a visit after he was released from prison that was when He told them what happened and how those He settled betrayed him and how he got all kind of sickness.
Re: Why Gen. Buhari Sentences Prof Ambrose Ali To 100 Years In Prison by Nctrice(m): 9:13pm On Feb 03, 2015
orobs93:

I am sorry if my post offended you..what you said are very true,but I and my father were discussing this issue and my dad told me that ali was a good man and hardly touched public fund but the money who was jailed for was the money he used in bribing some government and top people then when he wanted to locate the state university at ekpoma he settled them from that money when the army took over those that he settled even left him to his faith it is true that it was esama that settled is bill..this is the little I knw my father said when they paid him a visit after he was released from prison that was when He told them what happened and how those He settled betrayed him and how he got all kind of sickness.
and did your dad also tell you why Buhari kept Sagari under house arrest in a mansion in Ikoyi, and jailed kept Alex Ekueme in a Crate in kirikiri?
Re: Why Gen. Buhari Sentences Prof Ambrose Ali To 100 Years In Prison by orobs93(m): 9:29pm On Feb 03, 2015
Nctrice:
and did your dad also tell you why Buhari kept Sagari under house arrest in a mansion in Ikoyi, and jailed kept Alex Ekueme in a Crate in kirikiri?

Come I was not quoting you...
Re: Why Gen. Buhari Sentences Prof Ambrose Ali To 100 Years In Prison by diamond88: 12:16am On Feb 04, 2015
orobs93:

I am an undecided voter, I have my pvc, and I have never voted pdp I'm my life. Coming to buhari, i school at aau and it was in year 1, I get to know of this story. I went to the late professor house and I shed tears and I ask myself if this good man deserve this? Who was this military head of state that was so callous and wicked to hurriedly organise a tribunal and sentence a young professor to technical life imprisonment?

Buhari should come out and tender apology to the people of ekpoma. The story your father told u weren't true and it was a pity that our present generation lack the eye to see what dis general did to this man. The development a that professor Ali did today lies forever in edo and delta state. He believes in free education, he ties good road, he drop so many legacy and see what buhari did to him. He killed him. There are many more of buhari sins that your father am sure is shy of telling u.

The late prof was a civilian Democrats that was doing normal Democratic works and yet buhari finished him to the ground.
Re: Why Gen. Buhari Sentences Prof Ambrose Ali To 100 Years In Prison by meforyou1(m): 12:23am On Feb 04, 2015
orobs93:
Janjaweedean terrorist, what do u know?
Re: Why Gen. Buhari Sentences Prof Ambrose Ali To 100 Years In Prison by diamond88: 10:48am On Feb 04, 2015
the truth be told
Re: Why Gen. Buhari Sentences Prof Ambrose Ali To 100 Years In Prison by Moshood01: 2:23pm On Apr 10, 2020
Hmmm... we the youths of today actually need to hear and listen carefully to history from you elders but instead of calling us to ur sides and give us a seat to listen to history... All is shouting on us! Who are you? who is ur father? which day we born you that you are asking us this questions? .... where can we turn to ...�‍♀️
Re: Why Gen. Buhari Sentences Prof Ambrose Ali To 100 Years In Prison by surgical: 2:56pm On Apr 10, 2020
It's of no use exchanging words with any buhari supporters,they are very dumb,with , very low IQ,that it will be a share waste of time,just ignore them
Re: Why Gen. Buhari Sentences Prof Ambrose Ali To 100 Years In Prison by diamond88: 11:18pm On Apr 10, 2020
Lol I have long ignore them. At least, I am not, surprise again
Re: Why Gen. Buhari Sentences Prof Ambrose Ali To 100 Years In Prison by omonnakoda: 11:32pm On Apr 10, 2020
orobs93:

You are misinformed
Ambrose Alli was jailed 100 years by a military Tribunal established in by Buhari under a decree made by Buhari for an offence he allegedly committed before the law was made. After conviction there was no option of appeal. The Tribunal's decision was final
The Nigeria bar association decided to boycott the Tribunal calling it unconstitutional. That meant Alli had no lawyer and no option to appeal. He was judged by soldiers

The alleged offence had nothing to do with Ekpoma university. That story even sounds foolish why would he settle people to locate a university in Ekpoma when as governor he has control over land?
I don't think you realize how much 1 million naira was in those days .petrol was 20 kobo a litre

The allegation was that he stole the money and diverted it to his political party the UPN. That was what he was charged for

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING: MEND Comes Alive As Buhari Moves To Decimate 'niger Deltans' / Senator Shehu Sani's Daughter Visits El-rufai In His Office: Photo / Easter: FRSC Deploys 25,224 Personnel, 580 Patrol Vehicles & 92 Ambulances

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.