Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,086 members, 7,880,389 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 05:19 PM

Gumi Opposes Alleged Plans To Shift Elections - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gumi Opposes Alleged Plans To Shift Elections (563 Views)

Don’t Shift Elections Again, UN Tells Nigerian Government / Oby Ezekwesili, Nigerians React To INEC's Decision To Shift Polls On Twitter / Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gumi Opposes Alleged Plans To Shift Elections by ninjasta: 8:27pm On Feb 03, 2015
Fiery Kaduna Islamic scholar, Sheik Ahmad Gumi, on Tuesday kicked against the alleged plans to postpone the general elections in the country.

Gumi said the Independent National Electoral Commission should go ahead and conduct the elections as scheduled.

Saying that 100 years of extension did not mean the poll would be without flaws,the cleric also dismissed reports that he was supporting a particular presidential candidate.

He said such report was unfair to his personality.

He said this while unveiling an election monitoring Non-Governmental Organisation, christened ‘My ‎Choice, My Pride Foundation’, aimed at collating election results from various geographical locations in Nigeria under his watch.

Gumi queried the rational behind any postponement of the February elections, noting that even if the poll was postponed for the next 100 years, there would still be flaws.

He said, “To be honest with you, Nigeria is not yet perfect. Even if you give 100 years, it can never be enough. So no matter what, elections must still be held. We can never be perfect. We are passing through a very difficult stage now.

“What I suggest when I said election should hold irrespective of its flaws, it is because first, we have to establish that you don’t get power except through the box.

“We do not suggest other means for power except through the ballot to establish democratic type of governance. If we postpone this elections, then on what ground are we going to continue; emergency rule?

“So no matter how it is, 2011 is not like 2015. So, I think election should hold.”

He explained that any aggrieved candidate could seek redress in the court of law after elections.

http://www.punchng.com/news/gumi-opposes-alleged-plans-to-shift-elections/

1 Like

Re: Gumi Opposes Alleged Plans To Shift Elections by 0700Jesse(m): 8:40pm On Feb 03, 2015
Let this election hold on time, and let buhari be Voted in as another contesting failure, - atleast after failing again this time, he can go and write waec!
Re: Gumi Opposes Alleged Plans To Shift Elections by snazzy5050(m): 8:42pm On Feb 03, 2015
JUST IN CASE
Re: Gumi Opposes Alleged Plans To Shift Elections by okosodo: 8:58pm On Feb 03, 2015
I bet with my pennis ,this man is supporting buhari. He is not a honest guy though
Re: Gumi Opposes Alleged Plans To Shift Elections by Nobody: 9:37pm On Feb 03, 2015
okosodo:
I bet with my pennis ,this man is supporting buhari. He is not a honest guy though

What has what he said got anything to do with supporting GMB? Many are saying GEJ is jittery of inevitable defeat, so he needs more time (i.e postponement) to lay a solid foundation for rigging the presidential elections. By your statement, are you insinuating they are right afterall?

(1) (Reply)

Ngozi Okonjo-iweala And The Missing Trillions (1) / Some Youth Arrested Buying Pvcs In Sokoto / Obasanjo Backs Buhari Over Certificate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.