Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,726 members, 7,875,820 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 10:18 PM

General Elections: I See Bloodshed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / General Elections: I See Bloodshed (651 Views)

INEC Announces Dates For 2019 General Elections / Aftermath Of Elections: I Hope Patience Would Not Divorce Me - Jonathan / Ekiti Babalawos/Herbalists Warn Politicians Against Bloodshed, Endorse Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

General Elections: I See Bloodshed by SEHHYTEX(m): 7:37am On Feb 07, 2015
Cardinal Okogie declares
■ Says only prayers can avert looming danger
Outspoken Catholic priest and former Archbishop of La­gos, Cardinal An­thony Olubunmi Okogie has expressed fears that there will be bloodshed occasioned by the general elections slated for this month. The renowned cleric, who spoke with VERA WIS­DOM-BASSEY in his Ikoyi, La­gos residence last week, warned that only intense prayers can avert the danger he is seeing ahead. Excerpts:
How has it been since you retired?
There is a slight difference be­tween when I was in office and now, because people still come to consult me, I still run around to do a few things. I do make sure I keep myself busy, life has been very pleasant. I am no more in office, I have to have my own schedule, I am not tired yet. But in Roman Catholic, there is a law that once you are 75 years, you have to inform authorities in Rome meaning you have to retire, that is generous enough. Look at our lifespan here, some don’t even get to 60, I can still go another round if I am allowed but that is not the case in Roman Catholic. Well, I missed moving around with people, not that I don’t move around but it is curtailed, I always go around schools to make sure that things are in order, it’s quite good, that’s the beauty of Catholic church, you don’t hold on to anything, things are given to you to use for the good of others, I own nothing.
When I left, I had no place to stay, if we really want to make Ni­geria one as it should be, we should see one another as brothers and sis­ters, that’s the correct thing to do.
What does it take to keep Nigeria one?
I think they say to keep Nigeria one is a task that must be done but we are not keeping the nation one, look at the innocent soldiers that risked their lives, where are they today? How many people remem­bered them? It’s painful, and look at all the people eating and drinking and spending the money the way they like. Look atBoko Haram, how many of those leaders are ready to go and sympathise with the parents of those children who were kidnapped in Chibok? I feel bad. Look at the newspapers, instead of addressing the issues, the political campaigns are nothing but abus­es, unearthing the past, disgracing themselves. When you look at it realistically, those thinking they are disgracing their opponent, are indi­rectly campaigning for that person. I expect the issues to be on educa­tion, unemployment and how they are going to address them. How many manifestos have you seen out and we are preparing for elections.
My fear in this election is blood­shed and it’s already happening and am praying seriously, am begging God to avert it, you can see the atmosphere is tense, look at what is happening in Ekiti for example, how somebody will be doing as he likes without being checked, just because he belongs to a party.
This is not a joke, Nigeria be­longs to all of us, there is no other nation we can call ours, the good Lord that brought us under one umbrella and call us Nigeria knows what He is doing. Thank God Nige­ria is changing; revolution.
Are you saying there is si­lent revolution going on?
The youths are coming up, there is a silent revolution coming up, the youths are watching, that was the kind of thing Ojukwu wanted to do but he was too ambitious, but our heavenly Father knows what He is doing with everyone of us, He knows when to call the break, He is wisdom personified, so you can’t outdo things. When you look at the way the nation is going on, some people must be checked and if they don’t listen, they should be behind bars for peace sake, let’s be frank.
We started getting it wrong from political godfathers, and they are gradually dying out, they are fading away fast, then you will find refined godfathers because they will al­ways be there, the refined ones will not ask for all the powers, they will just tell you this is what they want you to do, if you don’t obey, they will keep quiet and wait for you.
How do you rate the ad­ministration of President Jonathan on the fight against corruption?
The current administration the way I see them, they plan many things in the air but you will not see them on the ground, the one you find on the ground, they don’t last, waste of money and that to me doesn’t augur well. People travel, they see all these roads, are they stupid, talk of Chibok girls, these are minus, even if they are doing very well, all these things are mi­nus, for a nation like Nigeria we ex­pect something better, not that they are not capable but eye-service is too much, and then of course, when you begin to look at faces because they are members of your party, you are wasting your time, the peo­ple that are really serious will just look at you and smile
http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=103643
Re: General Elections: I See Bloodshed by simplemach(m): 7:38am On Feb 07, 2015
The same thing everyone has been seeing.

(1) (Reply)

New 100 Naira Centenary Note,being Rejected By *SOME* People. / We Can’t Stop Riots If INEC Shift Dates Again—wale Oke / We Won't Shift The Elections Again-inec

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.