Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,876 members, 7,980,057 topics. Date: Sunday, 20 October 2024 at 02:15 AM

Rep Wants Nysc Scheme Scrapped - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rep Wants Nysc Scheme Scrapped (707 Views)

Murray-bruce Wants NYSC Members To Be Given N500k Each Upon Passing Out / Exclusive: Lagos Longest Serving Rep Wants 5th Term, Says ‘i Pray Five Times Dai / Lagos Longest Serving Rep Wants 5th Term, Says 'I Pray Five Times Daily' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rep Wants Nysc Scheme Scrapped by jaffidoni: 9:43am On Jan 02, 2009

The deputy chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on Labour, Rep. Chukwuma Umeoji has called for the scrapping of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) saying the programme has lost focus.

Umeoji (Labour, Aguata, Anambra) in a statement made available to Vanguard lamented that one of the scheme’s cardinal objectives of national cohesion has also been overwhelmed by ethnic and religious bigotry.

He said that scrapping the programme would save the country the estimated N40 billion expended on the scheme which he said was now being poured down the drain.

His comment came against the background of the recent sectarian crisis in Jos, Plateau State that led to the death of three Corps members.

“Today, corpers are killed by people who are supposed to protect them. Employers reject corpers posted to their establishment. The worst situation is that government establishments are the worst culprits in the rejection of corpers.”

Noting the loss to some families as a result of the national service, he said, “Today some families are in pain for losing loved ones to demonstrations of hatred in the Nigerian state.”

Observing the bureaucracy that has recently beleaguered the scheme, he said, “Most Nigerian graduates waste up to three years to get a chance to serve.

The number of years wasted to get a chance to serve could not be utilized because of the demand for discharge certificates before employment.’’

Noting that the amount expended on the scheme could be used for better purposes, he said, “The government should, as a matter of urgent national importance, scrap the programme and save the tax payers’ money.

Out of N40 billion allocated to the Ministry of Youth Development over 70% will be spent on NYSC related matters. From all indications the programme has not achieved the desired result and should be scrapped without further delay,” he said.

Re: Rep Wants Nysc Scheme Scrapped by jaffidoni: 9:44am On Jan 02, 2009
I think it should be scared, what do you guys think?
Re: Rep Wants Nysc Scheme Scrapped by donjazzie(m): 10:02am On Jan 02, 2009
I support this.

Moderator i think we need a poll on this one.
Re: Rep Wants Nysc Scheme Scrapped by wakagirl: 10:27am On Jan 02, 2009
Im in support, let them share the money (wasted on NYSC) amongst graduating students to start life with.
Re: Rep Wants Nysc Scheme Scrapped by Nobody: 10:35am On Jan 02, 2009
scrap the buggar!
Re: Rep Wants Nysc Scheme Scrapped by otokx(m): 10:46am On Jan 02, 2009
they should wait until more corpers are killed before they start thinking? if only you know the number of corpers that died in 2008. Some in road accidents others in senseless wars.

(1) (Reply)

Hangmen Wanted! Only 4 In The Whole Country * Nigerians Apply Secretly, Assured Of Veiled Id / Piracy: The New Growing Industry In Nigeria / Court Reserves Ruling On Rev King's Appeal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.