Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,590 members, 7,934,759 topics. Date: Thursday, 29 August 2024 at 01:03 PM

Is It Wrong For A Married Woman To Acquire Properties In Her Own Name - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Wrong For A Married Woman To Acquire Properties In Her Own Name (1196 Views)

Man Trying To Sleep With A Married Woman In Bayelsa Caught Pants Down (Pics) / "Sex On The First Date Led To This For Me" -Recently Married Woman Reveals. PICS / Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Wrong For A Married Woman To Acquire Properties In Her Own Name by Chaulay1: 5:44pm On Feb 10, 2015
Hi, I just saw this thread https://www.nairaland.com/2134481/hypocrisy-marriage/1#30541054 and it got me wondering if it is wrong for a married woman to own a property in her name.

I know of couples who have joint properties and at the same time properties in their individual names. E.g you hear people saying my car, my hubby's car, my wife's car etc Is this actually wrong or does it mean hypocrisy? This issue has been on my mind for a while and I will like to have people's opinions on this.

I want to cite my own case as an example. I work for a private organisation and by June my current contract will expire. We are not really sure if our project will be renewed as this depends on donor funding. I have been thinking about using the loose fund I have now to buy a landed property incase of a rainy day (considering the uncertainty of job continuity). Going by that thread, I am wondering if it is wrong to do this. My intention has been discussed with hubby though and he seemed to support the idea but I know he prefers it to be in the name of Mr and Mrs. Of note is that previous assets acquired are in both names but does being married deny you of buying some things in your own name?

I will need your candid opinion please.
Re: Is It Wrong For A Married Woman To Acquire Properties In Her Own Name by Ewuro4: 5:48pm On Feb 10, 2015
Let him know your plans. Keeping secrets is very dangerous dear.

Been there, not cool. Learnt from it.
Re: Is It Wrong For A Married Woman To Acquire Properties In Her Own Name by Nobody: 5:53pm On Feb 10, 2015
It's not wrong o. Like you said, for the rainy day and you never know when that rain will come. But trust me, when it comes, it is usually heavy.
Re: Is It Wrong For A Married Woman To Acquire Properties In Her Own Name by elantraceey(f): 6:02pm On Feb 10, 2015
your husband will definately prefer to have it in Mr & Mrs but since he's ok with it then it's not wrong as long as you purchased it with your money.
Re: Is It Wrong For A Married Woman To Acquire Properties In Her Own Name by Ewuro4: 6:05pm On Feb 10, 2015
elantraceey:

Yes I did. My response was to the question she asked.

Is that a problem?? pls unquote me.
Re: Is It Wrong For A Married Woman To Acquire Properties In Her Own Name by elantraceey(f): 6:09pm On Feb 10, 2015
Ewuro4:

Yes I did. My response was to the question she asked.

Is that a problem?? pls unquote me.

It's not a problem but if you read the op you won't have the need to make that statement .
Re: Is It Wrong For A Married Woman To Acquire Properties In Her Own Name by Ewuro4: 6:12pm On Feb 10, 2015
elantraceey:

It's not a problem.

Good.

Ciao
Re: Is It Wrong For A Married Woman To Acquire Properties In Her Own Name by slimyem: 6:57pm On Feb 10, 2015
It isn't wrong or shouldn't be wrong provided the husband is aware and supportive of the decision.

I've seen Nigerian men have a big problem with this and I've seen it tear families apart. it threatens their masculinity and their old-fashioned need to subjugate their women.
Re: Is It Wrong For A Married Woman To Acquire Properties In Her Own Name by baby124: 7:01pm On Feb 10, 2015
Well, it depends on the situation. You never know what situation one may find themselves, that desperation will make them take certain decisions.

For instance. If the man has other wives and concubines or children scattered around the world. It would be wise for such a woman to acquire everything in her name.
Re: Is It Wrong For A Married Woman To Acquire Properties In Her Own Name by bennyrazz: 8:05pm On Feb 10, 2015
slimyem:
It isn't wrong or shouldn't be wrong provided the husband is aware and supportive of the decision.

I've seen Nigerian men have a big problem with this and I've seen it tear families apart. it threatens their masculinity and their old-fashioned need to subjugate their women.
grin grin grin grin
Re: Is It Wrong For A Married Woman To Acquire Properties In Her Own Name by ArewaSweetheart(f): 10:10pm On Feb 10, 2015
baby124:
Well, it depends on the situation. You never know what situation one may find themselves, that desperation will make them take certain decisions.

For instance. If the man has other wives and concubines or children scattered around the world. It would be wise for such a woman to acquire everything in her name.

Yea, i also agree that it depends on the kind of man you have as a hubby. smiley

Thus, i'd advise that you include your spouse's name in the deed ONLY if he has been faithful & selflessly sincere to you in the marriage too. kiss
Re: Is It Wrong For A Married Woman To Acquire Properties In Her Own Name by mutter(f): 10:23pm On Feb 10, 2015
Previous properties are in both names so what rainy day are you saving for?

He has already provided for the rainy day.

You are about to remove the mantel and both of you will eventually get wet.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For A Married Woman To Acquire Properties In Her Own Name by Chaulay1: 10:43pm On Feb 10, 2015
mutter:
Previous properties are in both names so what rainy day are you saving for?
He has already provided for the rainy day.
You are about to remove the mantel and both of you will eventually get wet.

I am not keeping any secret from him, he is aware of my plans. Rainy day because my plan is to sell it later if and when the need arises. The previous one I purchased was in our names cos the plan is to develop that.
Re: Is It Wrong For A Married Woman To Acquire Properties In Her Own Name by KanwuliaJara: 12:31am On Feb 11, 2015
Not at all!
A woman always needs her own stuff!
I don't believe in CHRISTO-SHARIA marriages with JOINT ACCOUNTS! kiss

(1) (Reply)

What Happened At Holy Ghost Service Last Friday Night / 6 Tips To Consider Before Choosing A Life Partner / 1 Womb 2 Dads: DNA Tests Prove Twin Sisters Have Different Fathers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.