Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,129 members, 7,880,532 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 08:20 PM

Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] (58169 Views)

Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today / Top 5 Beautiful And Sexy Media Babes In Nigeria (Photos) / See The Most Beautiful Selfie In Nigeria? (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] by DanceVille: 8:01am On Feb 11, 2015
This was the First Woman to drive A Car in Nigeria... "Mrs Funmilayo Ransome Kuti(Fella's Mother)"...

Well educated with a colonial education and a Christian background, she was radicalized through the actions of the British occupation of Nigeria: its racism, sexism and economic violence. Ransome-Kuti received the national honor of membership in the Order of Nigeria in 1965. The University of Ibadan bestowed upon her the honorary doctorate of laws in 1968. She also held a seat in the Western House of Chiefs of Nigeria as an oloye of the Yoruba people.
Traditionally, Yoruba society was divided into male and female administrative sections. Although men in Nigeria held the position of clan chiefs, women had traditionally held political authority which was shared with men, particularly concentrated in areas of trade. With the coming of formal colonial rule through the Berlin Conference of 1884, the British authorities occupying Nigeria restructured the governance of the society: establishing the position of “Warrant Chiefs” as middle men to act between the traditional authorities and those of the colonizers, elevating the traditional and largely symbolic position of clan chief to a political power broker and created the Sole Native Authority, to which only the men holding local political power were admitted.

http://kwekudee-tripdownmemorylane..com/2013/11/funmilayo-ransome-kuti-lioness-of.html

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] by dkronicle(m): 8:10am On Feb 11, 2015
Mother of baba 70

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] by Nobody: 8:11am On Feb 11, 2015
Heroin i heard she will b on N2000 note. why can do dat in time bf another woman takes her place

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] by badassProdigy(m): 8:15am On Feb 11, 2015
nah person b dis... no b one kind fat badass gbagun mistress wey sit down for aso ROCK...

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] by Wuuworld(m): 8:28am On Feb 11, 2015
Woman wey sabi

6 Likes

Re: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] by Mayor21(m): 8:46am On Feb 11, 2015
Car queen

4 Likes

Re: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] by DaZion(m): 8:51am On Feb 11, 2015
Iya Fella...Nigerian Government are so deperate..I guess they supposed to acknowledge her Works...
What an Icon!

3 Likes

Re: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] by bayulll01(m): 8:57am On Feb 11, 2015
funmilayoB:
Heroin i heard she will b on N2000 note. why can do dat in time bf another woman takes her place
and that's arabic u wrote down there abi

16 Likes

Re: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] by dguyindcorner(m): 9:04am On Feb 11, 2015
Legendary woman.

3 Likes

Re: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] by tope3x(m): 9:28am On Feb 11, 2015
That's cool....God bless the dead

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] by DaZion(m): 9:55am On Feb 11, 2015
bayulll01:
and that's arabic u wrote down there abi
Re: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] by clerkent(m): 10:42am On Feb 11, 2015
funmilayoB:
where dem go come draw my mom.i luv my mom

4 Likes

Re: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] by hazyfm1: 10:42am On Feb 11, 2015
INTERESTING
Re: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] by tdayof(m): 10:42am On Feb 11, 2015
Cool.

NIGERIA no longer recognize her icon(s)
Re: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] by redcliff: 10:42am On Feb 11, 2015
funmilayoB:

why would Nigeria want to introduce 2k naira note? I thought they are talking cashless economy and stuff?

4 Likes

Re: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] by Smartlux(m): 10:43am On Feb 11, 2015
wow! Nice one

1 Like

Re: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] by Nobody: 10:43am On Feb 11, 2015
I like her glasses
Re: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] by valuedammy(m): 10:43am On Feb 11, 2015
The Kuti's tried in the History of Nigeria...applaudise to MAMA.

2 Likes

Re: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] by Ojestas(m): 10:43am On Feb 11, 2015
Picture of her driving or i dont believe + the car she drove.

3 Likes

Re: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] by dj187: 10:43am On Feb 11, 2015
APC d first political party to use speed boat for campaign grin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] by free2ryhme: 10:44am On Feb 11, 2015
grin grin
Re: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] by hensben(m): 10:44am On Feb 11, 2015
Swag

1 Like

Re: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] by Tundenoni(m): 10:45am On Feb 11, 2015
clerkent:
where dem go come draw my mom.i luv my mom
#70 note

2 Likes

Re: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] by alaoeri: 10:45am On Feb 11, 2015
The woman set record in order news APC everywhere you go, don't be left out join the train of CHANGE.
#ihavedecided.

5 Likes

Re: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] by iiichidodo: 10:45am On Feb 11, 2015
Lucky she didn't see Buhari's regime..Else she would be locked up like the rest of her family and other Nigerian legends..or shot by firing squad..

6 Likes

Re: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] by UnknownT: 10:45am On Feb 11, 2015
In Fela's voice Dem kill my mama, dem kill my mama, dem kari everybody, dem kari everybody goooooooooo, inside jail!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] by kilmix: 10:46am On Feb 11, 2015
She was a great icon indeed. She was An amazon, a rare gem, an epitome of greatness, an intrepid explorer of great values, a colossus who stood her ground against a gender discriminating society of her time.

Ladies of today should emulate and imitate her likes.
Not lusting after sugar daddies 'aristos'.

3 Likes

Re: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] by Skoopy(m): 10:46am On Feb 11, 2015
That to me is history, let's face current challenges.
Re: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] by Viktor1983(m): 10:46am On Feb 11, 2015
Ok
Re: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] by Ovie56(m): 10:46am On Feb 11, 2015
dj187:
APC d first political party to use speed boat for campaign grin
fish no get pvc na

4 Likes

Re: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti: The First Woman To Drive A Car In Nigeria [Photos] by APCREP: 10:46am On Feb 11, 2015
Fela mama

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Empress Njama Without Makeup Or Weave (Photos) / Pretty Mike Vs Festus Okotie-Eboh: Ladies In Chain / Ruth Eze: 'I Will Become A Lesbian If Genevieve Asks Me Out'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.