Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,162 members, 7,887,385 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 08:03 AM

7 Things I Hate Seeing At Seminars/trainings/ Conferences (completed version) - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / 7 Things I Hate Seeing At Seminars/trainings/ Conferences (completed version) (665 Views)

Book For P A Systems And Projector For Your Conferences, Training & Exhibition / Food Nigeria Exhibition & Conferences 1 8 - 20th May / Six Things We Shouldn't Be Seeing Anymore In Nigerian Weddings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

7 Things I Hate Seeing At Seminars/trainings/ Conferences (completed version) by Projectors(m): 4:06pm On Feb 11, 2015
7 THINGS I HATE SEEING AT SEMINARS/TRAININGS/ CONFERENCES

I love attending programs that can add value to me and coupled with the fact that I'm an event person, I supply audio visual equipment for most event in Lagos. Whenever I'm not having event, I attend training and seminar to develop my capacity and expertise on a trending subject.
As a matter of fact, learning is a continuous thing and the more you learn, the more you earn.
I have seen wonderful speaker who swept me off my feet because of their skillful presentation & delivery and I have seen boring & illogical speaker whom I pray within me silently to leave the stage.
While there is nothing wrong with learning on the job but you must learn fast.

Seven things I wish some speaker know before delivering a speech:

1. LATENESS: I don't know if you have witnessed a scenario where you got to the venue before the speaker because in Nigeria context the speaker is also the host & organizer. In fact, some participants will help in sweeping, arranging chairs and cleaning the chairs. Yes, we have come learn from you but please don't turn us into your slave - there is God ooh!

2. USE OF MICROPHONE: It's a common-sense to know that there is equipment called "MICROPHONE' and It helps speakers like you to amplify your voice so you won't need to be shouting and crack your voice. Okay, let me tell you whenever you have audience size of 50 people or more, definitely you need PA systems and the good thing about it is that there is portable PA systems that caters for small group meeting.

3. RUNNING SPEAKER: A speaker needs to move around the hall and not running in the hall, don't mistake walk round to run round. Leave running and jumping to TUFACE and DAVIDO it's not needed in this field. I have seen speaker running & jumping and got so tired that he
couldn't finish the seminar topics. Take the time to relax, entertain and don't to overwork yourself.

4. Good use of a microphone: Learn how to use a microphone is very important to speaking profession. Everyone knows the microphone and thinks they know how to use them. Sadly, this is not the case. Before using a microphone make sure you do a sound check. Position your mouth directly to the microphone. If you have a loud voice you can keep it at a fair distance but if a thin voice keep it very close. The gospel truth is just that don't shout at listeners and don't allow them to say 'we can't hear you sir."

5. Venue: Speaker should make an effort to secure an adequate & appropriate venue for the participants, it's not too good to have 100 people in 50 capacity hall. The speaker will overlabour himself and the listener will hardly learn anything. Don't allow any participants to stand since where are not on the field.

6. Presentation aids: Speaker must be up to date with technology, there are various presentation equipment you can use to make your training perfect and professional. A projector is very necessary for any organized educational programs even if you can't afford to buy a new projector, you can hire for a day or a week.
Furthermore, every speaker should have a laser pointer, it helps to control your slide without taping or staying glued to your laptop.

7. TIME: Be conscious of time, your participants have other commitments or traveling to far distance even those in Lagos. Your 3 hrs must be judiciously used and not for unrelated discussion. Again, avoid hourly charged hall for time constraints because another person might just be waiting for you.

I hope these 7 observations will help someone out there and become a better Speaker, also if you need tips for organizing a successful training/workshop/conference - contact Xtraminds Concept (Audio Visual Rentals & Event Support Services) on 08034291442.

(1) (Reply)

Great Deals At E-bay- MICOSTARMALL / Two People Die In A Fatal Accident In Lagos / Lets Handle Your Drinks For You At Your Events & Parties

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.