Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,999 members, 7,927,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 22 August 2024 at 06:39 AM

Pres Jonathan Says Stealing Is Different 4m Corruption | Agree Or Disagree? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pres Jonathan Says Stealing Is Different 4m Corruption | Agree Or Disagree? (980 Views)

Adorable Photo Of Former Pres. Jonathan's Grand Daughter / Legal Proof That Stealing Is Different From Corruption. / Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pres Jonathan Says Stealing Is Different 4m Corruption | Agree Or Disagree? by Jinf: 10:17am On Feb 14, 2015
According to President Goodluck Jonathan stealing is different from corruption.

The President during the 8th presidential media chat on Wednesday maintained that there was a difference between the two acts. This came several months after he first made a similar statement.

"If somebody is a thief, he is a thief. We should not use the word 'corruption' to cover a case of stealing. Thieves should be called thieves," the President had said.

However, a lawyer and human rights activist, Prof. Itse Sagay, said in a telephone conversation with Saturday PUNCH that there was no technical difference between the two acts and that persons involved in either should be made to face the wrath of the law.

He said, "In a broad legal sense, they are the same. Stealing is taking what belongs to another person without the consent of the owner with the intention of keeping it permanently.

"Corruption is using an office to acquire the resources of an organisation without working for it and without the organisation's awareness. Looking at it, using an office as a political office holder to acquire what belongs to the state results to stealing.

"Ultimately, every act of corruption is an act of stealing. There is no question about it. There is no moral or ethical difference between them. Both are criminal, immoral and anti-social acts and nobody should attempt to make one look lighter than the other. People who commit either should be dealt with seriously."

A civil rights lawyer, Fred Agbaje, said President Jonathan's differentiation between the acts was clear evidence that the President's government is corrupt.

Do you agree with President Jonathan that stealing is different from corruption or do you disagree?

Share your opinion on the topic.

Culled From: http://davidvsnaija..com/2015/02/president-jonathan-says-stealing-is.html

BTW: There is FREE recharge card giveaway for the 1st and 5th person to share his or her opinion (comment) in the above site.
Re: Pres Jonathan Says Stealing Is Different 4m Corruption | Agree Or Disagree? by Nobody: 10:18am On Feb 14, 2015
The President only meant to say that stealing should stand alone from corruption, he never really meant stealing isn't a subset of corruption. Corruption is broad, you have nepotism, abuse of office, bribery, stealing, fraud, dishonesty in dealings etc... it also extend to immoral acts such as adultery and unfaithfulness. What the President simply mean is let us call a thief a thief so that people will know he is a thief and not just say corruption.

The problem with President Jonathan is that he has poor communication advisers. His Public Affairs Adviser Doyin Okupe that is supposed to brush things up is incompetent himself. I so agree with the President
Re: Pres Jonathan Says Stealing Is Different 4m Corruption | Agree Or Disagree? by Nobody: 10:18am On Feb 14, 2015
double
Re: Pres Jonathan Says Stealing Is Different 4m Corruption | Agree Or Disagree? by falconey(m): 10:20am On Feb 14, 2015
if I agree will the 1000naira in my account turn to 1million naira?
Re: Pres Jonathan Says Stealing Is Different 4m Corruption | Agree Or Disagree? by Truth24(m): 10:56am On Feb 14, 2015
barcanista:
The President only meant to say that stealing should stand alone from corruption, he never realing meant stealing isn't a subset of corruption. Corruption is broad, you have nepotism, abuse of office, bribery, stealing, fraud, dishonesty in dealings etc... it also extend to immoral acts such as adultery and unfaithfulness. What the President simply mean is let us call a thief a thief so that people will know he is a thief and not just say corruption.

The problem with President Jonathan is that has poor communication advisers. His Public Affairs Adviser Doyin Okupe that is supposed to brush things up is incompetent himself. I so agree with the President
I'm so so happy this is coming from u, infact I'm humbled....
Re: Pres Jonathan Says Stealing Is Different 4m Corruption | Agree Or Disagree? by luvmijeje(f): 11:15am On Feb 14, 2015
barcanista:
The President only meant to say that stealing should stand alone from corruption, he never realing meant stealing isn't a subset of corruption. Corruption is broad, you have nepotism, abuse of office, bribery, stealing, fraud, dishonesty in dealings etc... it also extend to immoral acts such as adultery and unfaithfulness. What the President simply mean is let us call a thief a thief so that people will know he is a thief and not just say corruption.

The problem with President Jonathan is that has poor communication advisers. His Public Affairs Adviser Doyin Okupe that is supposed to brush things up is incompetent himself. I so agree with the President

Barcanista, is it really you? Your dear president poor defense still made more sense.
Re: Pres Jonathan Says Stealing Is Different 4m Corruption | Agree Or Disagree? by Nobody: 11:21am On Feb 14, 2015
Well, that is the beauty of debate and argument. We have the chance to see things from different perspective. How yu de?
luvmijeje:

Barcanista, is it really you? Your dear president poor defense still made more sense.

Re: Pres Jonathan Says Stealing Is Different 4m Corruption | Agree Or Disagree? by ayindejimmy(m): 11:22am On Feb 14, 2015
I beg to defer a bit. the comment was not a direct quotation of Justice Mustapha. the comment was in reference to what the Judge told Gej. that most cases of corruption brought before him were stealing. Gej never quoted the judge saying ...'stealing is not corruption. ' Gej said that himself.
Be that as it may, how I now understand the comment is that ....corruption has been seen as a mild form of stealing in Nigeria. so its better we say someone that stole is a thief rather than say he's corrupt. cos saying he's corrupt will only make it seems less grieve.
well, Gej should have previously say...Not all corrupt is stealing. with that we would have known that not all cases of corruption is stealing.
but by saying. ..stealing is not corruption the interpretation it gave was ..not all cases of stealing is corruption. which is absolutely not true.
All stealing is corruption but all corruption is not stealing. Gbam!
Re: Pres Jonathan Says Stealing Is Different 4m Corruption | Agree Or Disagree? by size38: 11:32am On Feb 14, 2015
The reason why GEJ said that stealing is different from corruption is that; GEJ's life is directly rooted in one which is corruption. So as a result, he thinks corruption is lesser in nature. However, those involved in criminal stealing be armed robbery or so, will argue that Official corruption, that which GEJ is involved is worst than stealing because an armed robber or robbery case cannot record huge success of stealing billions the way GEJ and his gang does it in their official capacity. But in all, both are criminal act punishable under the law. So there is no difference.
Re: Pres Jonathan Says Stealing Is Different 4m Corruption | Agree Or Disagree? by luvmijeje(f): 11:33am On Feb 14, 2015
barcanista:
Well, that is the beauty of debate and argument. We have the chance to see things from different perspective. How yu de?

Well I'll say that's the disadvantage of debate and argument because you start defending what's indefensible. I'm fine. You?
Re: Pres Jonathan Says Stealing Is Different 4m Corruption | Agree Or Disagree? by osamaBUSH(m): 11:36am On Feb 14, 2015
ayindejimmy:
I beg to defer a bit. the comment was not a direct quotation of Justice Mustapha. the comment was in reference to what the Judge told Gej. that most cases of corruption brought before him were stealing. Gej never quoted the judge saying ...'stealing is not corruption. ' Gej said that himself.
Be that as it may, how I now understand the comment is that ....corruption has been seen as a mild form of stealing in Nigeria. so its better we say someone that stole is a thief rather than say he's corrupt. cos saying he's corrupt will only make it seems less grieve.
well, Gej should have previously say...Not all corrupt is stealing. with that we would have known that not all cases of corruption is stealing.
but by saying. ..stealing is not corruption the interpretation it gave was ..not all cases of stealing is corruption. which is absolutely not true.
All stealing is corruption but all corruption is not stealing. Gbam!
4 say me na VC i 4 dash u prof.
Re: Pres Jonathan Says Stealing Is Different 4m Corruption | Agree Or Disagree? by Nobody: 11:41am On Feb 14, 2015
Well, that again is another subject or debate, whether defensible or otherwise.. I'm very fine. On a very light mode! You watched that youtube?
luvmijeje:

Well I'll say that's the disadvantage of debate and argument because you start defending what's indefensible. I'm fine. You?
Re: Pres Jonathan Says Stealing Is Different 4m Corruption | Agree Or Disagree? by luvmijeje(f): 12:29pm On Feb 14, 2015
barcanista:
Well, that again is another subject or debate, whether defensible or otherwise.. I'm very fine. On a very light mode! You watched that youtube?

I just watched part1. When it comes to communicating your idea buhari beats Jonathan hands down. The response he gave when he was asked about power shows he's a man after my own heart. It makes me more disappointed that he didn't go ahead with the debate. He's good and I mean GOOD..... hopefully he will translate it into action when he becomes the president.

1 Like

Re: Pres Jonathan Says Stealing Is Different 4m Corruption | Agree Or Disagree? by BERNIMOORE: 12:33pm On Feb 14, 2015
Re: Pres Jonathan Says Stealing Is Different 4m Corruption | Agree Or Disagree? by killercute16(m): 12:42pm On Feb 14, 2015
barcanista:
The President only meant to say that stealing should stand alone from corruption, he never really meant stealing isn't a subset of corruption. Corruption is broad, you have nepotism, abuse of office, bribery, stealing, fraud, dishonesty in dealings etc... it also extend to immoral acts such as adultery and unfaithfulness. What the President simply mean is let us call a thief a thief so that people will know he is a thief and not just say corruption.

The problem with President Jonathan is that he has poor communication advisers. His Public Affairs Adviser Doyin Okupe that is supposed to brush things up is incompetent himself. I so agree with the President
Hmmm...this isnt you,am sure about that,u seem to be neutral as of recent.
Re: Pres Jonathan Says Stealing Is Different 4m Corruption | Agree Or Disagree? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Feb 14, 2015
That is why I'm very angry! Well what do you think of Shekarau in that debate?
luvmijeje:

I just watched part1. When it comes to communicating your idea buhari beats Jonathan hands down. The response he gave when he was asked about power shows he's a man after my own heart. It makes me more disappointed that he didn't go ahead with the debate. He's good and I mean GOOD..... hopefully he will translate it into action when he becomes the president.
Re: Pres Jonathan Says Stealing Is Different 4m Corruption | Agree Or Disagree? by luvmijeje(f): 1:33pm On Feb 14, 2015
barcanista:
That is why I'm very angry! Well what do you think of Shekarau in that debate?

He was convincing especially when he was defending the creation of state enforcement agency. And he also thinks fast on his feet when he was asked about the state enforcement agency terrorising kannywood out of Kano state.

(1) (Reply)

BIAFRA As A Nation.......(a Must Read) / Will Buhari Legalise Homosexuality? / PDPs' Version Of "Foward" (picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.