Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,648 members, 7,878,895 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 08:58 AM

Who Will Ask Obasanjo To Shut Up? - Shehu Dikko - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Will Ask Obasanjo To Shut Up? - Shehu Dikko (6337 Views)

Fayose Wants Obasanjo To Refund The N10m Donation He Made Towards His Library / Olusegun Obasanjo To Folorunsho Alakija: 'Madam, I Made You A Billionaire' / Buhari: Why I Sent Obasanjo To Guinea-Bissau (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Will Ask Obasanjo To Shut Up? - Shehu Dikko by kaboninc(m): 3:54pm On Feb 18, 2015
nku5:

Shikena! The states are getting away with total incompetence while we are blaming a president because its more convenient than walking into your local govt council office to demand performance

When I put it to VolvoS60 on the sham going on in Rivers State, he claims not to know. Obviously, he's not interested.
Re: Who Will Ask Obasanjo To Shut Up? - Shehu Dikko by kaboninc(m): 4:01pm On Feb 18, 2015
VolvoS60,

Just so you know, the information on the declaration of assets of FEDERAL EMPLOYEES INCLUDING THE PRESIDENT can be obtained from the Code of Conduct Bureau. The Fredom of Information Bill (FOI, signed into Law by GEJ but rejected here in Lagos) makes it a public document. Should you request it, go and apply and you shall be given. It is not a CLASSIFIED document.
Re: Who Will Ask Obasanjo To Shut Up? - Shehu Dikko by Nobody: 8:51pm On Feb 18, 2015
kaboninc:

At the first bold part, here's something you would need to digest:
Source: https://www.nairaland.com/2153758/lack-capacity-prevent-corruption-nigeria
This quote was from the Minister and I believe to a large extent it has answered your questions on CORRUPTION.
However, I need to point out something here. When dealing with a problem that is cancerous in nature like corruption, you fight it with the intention of preventing future occurrence. This brings us back to the issue of getting to the root cause of a problem and fighting it from that level. That has been the focus of this administration. Note that your 'strategy' is a generic one as every Tom, Dick and Harry will say the same thing: you investigate, prosecute and convict.
Leaving out the question of 'how do you prevent future occurrence'!
I schooled in a university where the HOD of a particular department at one time said he knows the actual number of staff in that department and still tell you the number of staff receiving salaries and that number is more than the actual number of staff employed in that department. Obviously there are ghost workers. So question is how do you solve such a problem? For me if a system can be developed to capture the actual number of employee, that will be my first action. Secondly is to identify and prosecute those who aid this fraud by investigation.
But then, you would need to do a thorough investigation so you will have strong, quality and credible facts to back you. That should be your focus. That is the focus of this Government.
Note that you have never accepted the stride this government has made in battling the syndrome of GHOST WORKERS!
This is what I have to say about that:
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/lead-story/197840-anxiety-as-govt-implements-oronsonye-panel-s-report
Read and digest.
Its one thing to say this government is not doing enough but its another thing to support a change that appears to be worse off. No matter how you try to paint your stand against the Lagos State Government, you indirectly support them. Read your own comments. Since you cannot comment on Rivers State, why don't you find out since your vote is most likely going to them.
Lastly, you indeed are not informed of government's progress. If you say you can get 'reports' from faraway US with the click of a button and you can't find any about our government, then you do yourself a great disservice. These reports actually exist. The day you begin to be truly unbiased, that day your opinions will become objective.
Yes, we'll meet at the polls.

This is what I mean by keenly and objectively Observing!

Note the non confronting ways of tackling corruption, using technology and systems?

Note the response to the orosanye report?

Note the PWC report on the wide spread false missing billions of dollars?

These are all facts, better authority than beer parlour gist.

yet we choose to believe the beer parlour gist because it enhances our benefits on the patronage that we get.

This is the plain truth that some of us chose to be blind to see.

@ Volvo S60 I respect your choice, but as far as I can see it won't move us any way forward.

Like I said, being confrontational will get you no where in the nigerian system.

Heck your choice only lasted 20 months and we were brought back worse than where he started from, and you chose to follow the same path?! Hmmmmm

Who are the new forms of patronage? Asari Dokubo? Tompolo? My brother you very well know, this are local champions, and wat is wrong with one getting some value of the resources in his back yard?

As long as he dos nt disturb Tunji in his cocoa farm or Sa'ad in his Gold mine!

Equity fairness and justice is all that all Nigerians I repeat All nigerians including minorities require

Not all this intellectual story we use in bambo-ozling most Nigerians.

I now come back to your abh-orrence of Gen Obj, I note all his despicable acts you have stated above,

How is it now possible for me to align with his choice for Nigeria's next leadership? Impossible!

1 Like

Re: Who Will Ask Obasanjo To Shut Up? - Shehu Dikko by Nobody: 9:10pm On Feb 18, 2015
kaboninc:

Source: https://www.nairaland.com/2153758/lack-capacity-prevent-corruption-nigeria
This quote was from the Minister and I believe to a large extent it has answered your questions on CORRUPTION.
However, I need to point out something here. When dealing with a problem that is cancerous in nature like corruption, you fight it with the intention of preventing future occurrence. This brings us back to the issue of getting to the root cause of a problem and fighting it from that level. That has been the focus of this administration. Note that your 'strategy' is a generic one as every Tom, Dick and Harry will say the same thing: you investigate, prosecute and convict.
I schooled in a university where the HOD of a particular department at one time said he knows the actual number of staff in that department and still tell you the number of staff receiving salaries and that number is more than the actual number of staff employed in that department. Obviously there are ghost workers. So question is how do you solve such a problem? For me if a system can be developed to capture the actual number of employee, that will be my first action. Secondly is to identify and prosecute those who aid this fraud by investigation.
But then, you would need to do a thorough investigation so you will have strong, quality and credible facts to back you. That should be your focus. That is the focus of this Government.
Note that you have never accepted the stride this government has made in battling the syndrome of GHOST WORKERS!
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/lead-story/197840-anxiety-as-govt-implements-oronsonye-panel-s-report
Read and digest.
Its one thing to say this government is not doing enough but its another thing to support a change that appears to be worse off. No matter how you try to paint your stand against the Lagos State Government, you indirectly support them. Read your own comments. Since you cannot comment on Rivers State, why don't you find out since your vote is most likely going to them.
Lastly, you indeed are not informed of government's progress. If you say you can get 'reports' from faraway US with the click of a button and you can't find any about our government, then you do yourself a great disservice. These reports actually exist. The day you begin to be truly unbiased, that day your opinions will become objective.

Note the non- confronting ways of tackling corruption, using technology and systems?

yet we choose to believe the beer parlour gist because it enhances our benefits on the patronage that we get.

@ Volvo S60 I respect your choice, but as far as I can see it won't move us any way forward.

Like I said, being confr-ontational will get you no where in the nigerian system.

Heck your choice only lasted 20 months and we were brought back worse than where he started from, and you chose to follow the same path?! Hmmmmm

Who are the new forms of patronage? Asari Dokubo? Tompolo? My brother you very well know, this are local champions, and wat is wrong with one getting some value of the resources in his back yard?

Equity fairness and justice is all that all Nigerians I repeat All nigerians including minorities require

Not all this intellectual story we use in bamboo-zling most Nigerians.

I now come back to your abhor-rence of Gen Obj, I note all his des-picable acts you have stated above,

How is it now possible for me to align with his choice for Nigeria's next leadership? Impossible!
Re: Who Will Ask Obasanjo To Shut Up? - Shehu Dikko by kaboninc(m): 9:17pm On Feb 18, 2015
df2006:

Note the non- confronting ways of tackling corruption, using technology and systems?

Like I said, being confr-ontational will get you no where in the nigerian system.

Not all this intellectual story we use in bamboo-zling most Nigerians.

I now come back to your abhor-rence of Gen Obj, I note all his des-picable acts you have stated above,

I do not want to even dig his Buhari. I just want him to explicitly mention his support for him. Then we would know who is indeed gullible or who really have Nigeria at heart.

They say GEJ is not fighting corruption. Yet he says he is eliminating Ghost workers. Still they even rubbish his effort. What more do they want? That he forcefully and unlawfully jails someone who the court will eventually set free?

I tire.
Re: Who Will Ask Obasanjo To Shut Up? - Shehu Dikko by VolvoS60(m): 9:31pm On Feb 18, 2015
kaboninc:

^^^^
No sir. I have read the quote from Her Excellency, the Honourable Minister of Finance, Mrs. Okonjo Iweala. Her comments have NOT answered my questions to the GEJ administration about corruption. Those questions are clear enough and they still stand unanswered.

It is deeply cynical of you to present capacity/institution building and law enforcement as mutually exclusive options. IPPIS, the E-wallet system, flushing out ghost workers and the GIFMS are sensible, long overdue initiatives. But to pretend that these initiatives cannot proceed alongside routine investigation, prosecution and conviction of offenders is nothing short of high level deceit. I ask you again: where is the deterrent? Countries with far more sophisticated institutional frameworks than Nigeria do have strict, severe penalties for malfeasance - penalties they do not hesitate to enforce when necessary. Is it that the governments in these countries are stuppid? Do you think you are talking to children here? undecided

kaboninc:

Read and digest.

^^^^
I had already seen the news on the link provided yesterday. The newsreport says that implementation of the federal government white paper 'has commenced'. However, the extent of implementation is still unclear to me. As far back as last year I began searching online for copies of the oronsaye report and the FG white paper to educate myself. So far my search has been unsuccessful. If you have access to the Report and the White Paper, let me know. It is very hard for Nigerians to adequately assess government policy when the only source of information is highly abridged newspaper articles. That is why the PwC Report and others should be made public!!

The Oronsaye Report is only one of the Reports I mentioned. What do you have to say of the others? undecided

kaboninc:

^^^
Don't be ridiculous. I never said I couldn't find any reports about our government. Don't misrepresent me. According to you, the reports exist. Fine. All I am saying is that I want easy access to copies of these reports for voter education. Am I asking too much?

On your other comments about the RVSG and the LASG - it is sad that your seige mentality is beginning to cloud this debate. You persistently drag in the Lagos and Rivers state governments and impute that I am a partisan supporter of these two. On what grounds? undecided Sir, don't devalue this debate. If you want this thread to degenerate into a mudfight then let me know so that I can gracefully take my leave.

God willing, we shall all meet at the polls.
Re: Who Will Ask Obasanjo To Shut Up? - Shehu Dikko by VolvoS60(m): 11:02pm On Feb 18, 2015
df2006:

Note the non confronting ways of tackling corruption, using technology and systems?

Like I said, being confrontational will get you no where in the nigerian system.

Not all this intellectual story we use in bambo-ozling most Nigerians.

I now come back to your abh-orrence of Gen Obj, I note all his despicable acts you have stated above,

^^^^
No Sir. I acknowledge your position but I must respectfully disagree.

I will take your points one by one.

The Reports you reference in your post should be made publicly available for Nigerians to read and assess. Why is this so hard for the Federal Government to do? undecided What does it take to put these Reports in pdf on a website and draw voter attention to it? We can all read and write here. And though not all of us understand financial jargon or civil service terminology, some of us do. These Reports should be published in the public interest. Anyone who does not agree with this clearly doesn't support transparency and openness in government. The only way for the beer parlour gist (as you put it) to stop is for the authorities to do business in an open and transparent manner. That's all.

According to you, "being confrontational will get you nowhere in the Nigerian system". I can assure you that this is a sure recipe for failure. I have posted at length in this and other threads on GEJ's pussyfooting around this burning issue of corruption - an issue that will more than any other set the tenor for judging his administration. There is no need for me to rehash those points once more. Time will tell.

I also note the sly reference to Mr. Buhari as 'my choice' who lasted only 20 months. Sir, at no point have I endorsed Mr. Buhari on this thread. My focus has always been on Dr. Jonathan. He is the one in charge, not Mr. Buhari. He is the one who has been Commander in Chief for 4 years, not Mr. Buhari. I have always maintained that this election is a referendum on the performance of Dr. Jonathan. Nobody else.

Your tacit endorsement of the new patronage systems in place represents the final piercing of the veil to reveal what lies underneath. You are fine with the replacement of crooked patronage systems in the old order with crooked patronage systems in the new one. undecided How sustainable is this? Is this the answer to years of justified agitation against a lopsided federation that disenfranchised ethnic minorities in the Delta and elsewhere? Is this the answer - paying militants a stipend not to destroy pipelines? undecided Channeling state resources to the creation of private armies? I repeat - is this true fiscal federalism in action? Is this what Adaka Boro wanted?

There were actionable resolutions in favour of true federalism at the last conference weren't there? What do we have in terms of concrete action except for a 'promise' by the Jonathan administration to implement these resolutions - a promise anchored by the way, on support for his re-election? Where are the cast-iron guarantees?

You are right about one thing: fairness justice and equity are required by all Nigerians. On the whole, the GEJ administration is not providing these things to Nigerians, particularly where decisive action against graft is required. And for this reason, he should go.
Re: Who Will Ask Obasanjo To Shut Up? - Shehu Dikko by VolvoS60(m): 11:24pm On Feb 18, 2015
anonimi:

The earlier WE hold our 36 state governors and 774 LGA chairmen accountable to us rather than wait for the federal government to make them accountable, the better for us all.

^^^^
I have never disagreed with this position. Never.

It is my civic duty (and yours and everybody else's) to vote in responsible leadership (at all levels) and keep it on its toes throughout its tenure in office. But there is a point at which my (and your) powers end and the power of the State begins. The federal government retains the monopoly of legitimate force (in theory at least) in this country. The EFCC, ICPC, NPF, DSS, Customs etc are all federal agencies. They are the authorities empowered by law to investigate and prosecute offenders. As we speak, the federal government has at its disposal dossiers on state governors, LG chairmen etc. (you name it) who broke the law and are no longer in office. Inexplicably, it has chosen to do nothing.

You see where the problem lies?
Re: Who Will Ask Obasanjo To Shut Up? - Shehu Dikko by VolvoS60(m): 11:27pm On Feb 18, 2015
kaboninc:

When I put it to VolvoS60 on the sham going on in Rivers State, he claims not to know. Obviously, he's not interested.

^^^^
Nonsense. I am not even going to dignify this with a response.
Re: Who Will Ask Obasanjo To Shut Up? - Shehu Dikko by KanwuliaJara: 11:29pm On Feb 18, 2015
Still on OBJ. . . THE ORANGUTAN OF OTA? undecided
Re: Who Will Ask Obasanjo To Shut Up? - Shehu Dikko by fresh15: 12:14am On Feb 19, 2015
Obj,shut up and let Nigeria be.Nigeria will thrive better if you leave her alone.
Re: Who Will Ask Obasanjo To Shut Up? - Shehu Dikko by VolvoS60(m): 12:16am On Feb 19, 2015
kaboninc:

I do not want to even dig his Buhari. I just want him to explicitly mention his support for him. Then we would know who is indeed gullible or who really have Nigeria at heart.

They say GEJ is not fighting corruption. Yet he says he is eliminating Ghost workers. Still they even rubbish his effort. What more do they want? That he forcefully and unlawfully jails someone who the court will eventually set free?

I tire.

^^^^
You want to compel me to declare my support for Mr. Buhari even though I have not at any point on this thread endorsed him. undecided

Interestingly, you didn't brand me an Albert, Galadinma, Salau, Okoye, Sonaiya, Okorie, Onovo, Ahmad or Anifowoshe-Kelani supporter. undecided

This constant reference to Mr. Buhari is becoming tiresome. I have focused squarely on the reasons why I am angry and dissatisfied with the Jonathan administration and your response here is to tell me why Mr. Buhari is an unsuitable candidate? undecided
Re: Who Will Ask Obasanjo To Shut Up? - Shehu Dikko by kaboninc(m): 9:42am On Feb 19, 2015
VolvoS60:

It is deeply cynical of you to present capacity/institution building and law enforcement as mutually exclusive options. IPPIS, the E-wallet system, flushing out ghost workers and the GIFMS are sensible, long overdue initiatives. But to pretend that these initiatives cannot proceed [b]alongside routine investigation, prosecution and conviction of offenders is nothing short of high level deceit.[/b] I ask you again: where is the deterrent? Countries with far more sophisticated institutional frameworks than Nigeria do have strict, severe penalties for malfeasance - penalties they do not hesitate to enforce when necessary. Is it that the governments in these countries are stuppid? Do you think you are talking to children here? undecided

I have just answered this question to you by providing a link of what the Minister said and YET you seem not to be satisfied?

Did you read anywhere in her statement in which she did state that routine investigation, prosecution and conviction of offenders is currently not ongoing? Let me quote again:

She said that 14 people were presently under trial for various pension scams in the country.
The minister said that the names of the persons found to be involved in the act had been sent to the ICPC for further action.

If these statements do not answer your questions on government's effort in investigating, prosecuting and convicting of offenders, then indeed I may be talking to a child here. More so, since you claim to know, you should be aware of the challenges facing our judiciary. Remember the Pension Thief? How he paid the fine and walked away? The law actually provides for it. Now one begins to ask who makes such laws and why such laws will have such a provision even when the funds stolen is quite huge.

In the US you've mentioned at one time, they have working systems, structures and processes in place to actually track and monitor activities of both government and private institutions. Sadly we do not. But this government is working towards it. In order to move forward, we learn from our past. During the sack and subsequent prosecution of bank chiefs by the EFCC and also the various ongoing trials by EFCC on former governors, one would have observed why plea bargain is usually preferred by both parties. It is not because the case cannot get to a conclusive stage, but the amount of resources especially time affects these cases.

There would always be thieves and criminals. But blocking loopholes will reduce and prevent these corrupt cases. This is the point I have been trying to sink into you. This is the focus of this administration.

I had already seen the news on the link provided yesterday. The newsreport says that implementation of the federal government white paper 'has commenced'. However, the extent of implementation is still unclear to me. As far back as last year I began searching online for copies of the oronsaye report and the FG white paper to educate myself. So far my search has been unsuccessful. If you have access to the Report and the White Paper, let me know. It is very hard for Nigerians to adequately assess government policy when the only source of information is highly abridged newspaper articles. That is why the PwC Report and others should be made public!!

The Oronsaye Report is only one of the Reports I mentioned. What do you have to say of the others? undecided

Like I've told you, should you need these reports, simply write to the relevant agency and request for a copy since you cannot rely on news articles. That should quell your quest for government activities.

On the PwC report, this link will help you with some unanswered questions.
https://www.oaugf.ng/78-highlights-of-investigative-forensic-audit-done-by-pwc

Don't be ridiculous. I never said I couldn't find any reports about our government. Don't misrepresent me. According to you, the reports exist. Fine. All I am saying is that I want easy access to copies of these reports for voter education. Am I asking too much?

On government policies, am sure you know nothing about the National Automotive Industry Development Plan, the Roadmap for Power Sector Reform, National Industrial Revolution Plan, the Nigerian Sugar Master Plan, The National Housing Policy.

How about the Medium Term Expenditure Frameworks? All these are government policy documents that have been made public.

On your other comments about the RVSG and the LASG - it is sad that your seige mentality is beginning to cloud this debate. You persistently drag in the Lagos and Rivers state governments and impute that I am a partisan supporter of these two. On what grounds? undecided Sir, don't devalue this debate. If you want this thread to degenerate into a mudfight then let me know so that I can gracefully take my leave.

You see why I keep insisting you are being biased and subjective? You already have a perception and its appalling you continue to hold on to it for whatever reason that tickles you. I am debating you to let you know how misinformed you have been so you can do more research with an objective mindset.
Re: Who Will Ask Obasanjo To Shut Up? - Shehu Dikko by kaboninc(m): 10:00am On Feb 19, 2015
VolvoS60:

^^^^
You want to compel me to declare my support for Mr. Buhari even though I have not at any point on this thread endorsed him. undecided

Interestingly, you didn't brand me an Albert, Galadinma, Salau, Okoye, Sonaiya, Okorie, Onovo, Ahmad or Anifowoshe-Kelani supporter. undecided

This constant reference to Mr. Buhari is becoming tiresome. I have focused squarely on the reasons why I am angry and dissatisfied with the Jonathan administration and your response here is to tell me why Mr. Buhari is an unsuitable candidate? undecided

Lool.

Bro, am not compelling you. Since you're not satisfied with Jonathan's Administration and your consistent refusal to see reasons here, it is obvious that you won't vote for him. Hence one can safely deduce that your vote will go somewhere else.
Re: Who Will Ask Obasanjo To Shut Up? - Shehu Dikko by kaboninc(m): 10:04am On Feb 19, 2015
VolvoS60:

And for this reason, he should go.

After ranting and beating about the bush, here you dropped what you've been jealously guarding. We are NO KIDS here SIR!
Re: Who Will Ask Obasanjo To Shut Up? - Shehu Dikko by VolvoS60(m): 4:53pm On Feb 19, 2015
kaboninc:

I have just answered this question to you by providing a link of what the Minister said and YET you seem not to be satisfied?

Did you read anywhere in her statement in which she did state that routine investigation, prosecution and conviction of offenders is currently not ongoing? Let me quote again:

^^^^
Indeed.

You principals have persisted in governing by speeches when cold, hard action is required. Nigerians do not want to hear what the minister said. They want to see lawbreakers pay for their actions, full stop. If your principals cannot make this happen then they should make way for those who can. You can argue this point until the cows come home. That is your choice. Enough said.

kaboninc:

If these statements do not answer your questions on government's effort in investigating, prosecuting and convicting of offenders, then indeed I may be talking to a child here. More so, since you claim to know, you should be aware of the challenges facing our judiciary. Remember the Pension Thief? How he paid the fine and walked away? The law actually provides for it. Now one begins to ask who makes such laws and why such laws will have such a provision even when the funds stolen is quite huge.

^^^^
You have answered nothing, my friend. The same old circular, convoluted logic. undecided I'll give you an 'A' for persistence though - few people have the kind of dogged determination you have in calling black white. But I will call you out one time, every time.

You brought in the case of Mr. John Yakubu and Justice Talba's ruling in another brazen attempt at equivocation. Nice try. In yet one more example of your chicanery you conveniently forgot to add that the EFCC withdrew the initial 10 count charge against Yakubu (charges with a 14 year maximum sentence plus fine) and filed a three count charge (charges with a 2 year maximum sentence with or without the option of a fine). undecided This is the result of plea bargaining (a concept which you extol in the rest of your post) between the EFCC and defence counsel - plea bargaining which eventually led to that miscarriage of justice in the Yakubu case. Read the EFCC statement after the ruling: “The commission is of the view that the option of fine runs contrary to the understanding between the prosecution and the defence wherein the convict consented to a custodial sentence with the forfeiture of all assets and money that are proceeds of the crime.”. undecided

Even though the NJC eventually suspended Justice Talba for abuse of judicial discretion, is the EFCC saying it was unaware of the prescribed sentence for the 3 count charge eventually filed against Mr. Yakubu? The EFCC knew Yakubu would walk. So what are we talking about here?

kaboninc:

In the US you've mentioned at one time, they have working systems, structures and processes in place to actually track and monitor activities of both government and private institutions. Sadly we do not. But this government is working towards it. In order to move forward, we learn from our past. During the sack and subsequent prosecution of bank chiefs by the EFCC and also the various ongoing trials by EFCC on former governors, one would have observed why plea bargain is usually preferred by both parties. It is not because the case cannot get to a conclusive stage, but the amount of resources especially time affects these cases.

There would always be thieves and criminals. But blocking loopholes will reduce and prevent these corrupt cases. This is the point I have been trying to sink into you. This is the focus of this administration.

^^^^
What exactly is your point? Plea bargains are part of the GEJ administration's strategy of 'blocking loopholes and preventing corruption'? undecided

kaboninc:

Like I've told you, should you need these reports, simply write to the relevant agency and request for a copy since you cannot rely on news articles. That should quell your quest for government activities.

On government policies, am sure you know nothing about the National Automotive Industry Development Plan, the Roadmap for Power Sector Reform, National Industrial Revolution Plan, the Nigerian Sugar Master Plan, The National Housing Policy.

How about the Medium Term Expenditure Frameworks? All these are government policy documents that have been made public.

You see why I keep insisting you are being biased and subjective? You already have a perception and its appalling you continue to hold on to it for whatever reason that tickles you. I am debating you to let you know how misinformed you have been so you can do more research with an objective mindset.

^^^^
Pure, undiluted nonsense. Not worthy of a response from me.

The bottomline is that you have one vote and I have one too. We shall meet at the polls.

It has been a pleasure debating with you.
Re: Who Will Ask Obasanjo To Shut Up? - Shehu Dikko by kaboninc(m): 10:07pm On Feb 19, 2015
VolvoS60:

^^^^
Indeed.

You principals have persisted in governing by speeches when cold, hard action is required. Nigerians do not want to hear what the minister said. They want to see lawbreakers pay for their actions, full stop. If your principals cannot make this happen then they should make way for those who can. You can argue this point until the cows come home. That is your choice. Enough said.

^^^^
You have answered nothing, my friend. The same old circular, convoluted logic. undecided I'll give you an 'A' for persistence though - few people have the kind of dogged determination you have in calling black white. But I will call you out one time, every time.

You brought in the case of Mr. John Yakubu and Justice Talba's ruling in another brazen attempt at equivocation. Nice try. In yet one more example of your chicanery you conveniently forgot to add that the EFCC withdrew the initial 10 count charges against Yakubu (charges with a 14 year maximum sentence plus fine) and filed a three count charge (charges with a 2 year maximum sentence with or without the option of a fine). This is the result of plea bargaining (a concept which you extol in the rest of your post) between the EFCC and defence counsel - plea bargaining that eventually led to that miscarriage of justice in the Yakubu case. Read the EFCC statement after the ruling: “The commission is of the view that the option of fine runs contrary to the understanding between the prosecution and the defence wherein the convict consented to a custodial sentence with the forfeiture of all assets and money that are proceeds of the crime.”.

Even though the NJC eventually suspended Justice Talba for abuse of judicial discretion, is the EFCC saying it was unaware of the sentence for the 3 count charge filed against Mr. Yakubu? The EFCC knew Yakubu would walk. So what are we talking about here?

^^^^
What exactly is your point? Plea bargains are part of the GEJ administration's strategy of 'blocking loopholes and preventing corruption'?

^^^^
Pure, undiluted nonsense. Not worth a response from me.

The bottomline is that you have one vote and I have one too. We shall meet at the polls.

It has been a pleasure debating with you.
Re: Who Will Ask Obasanjo To Shut Up? - Shehu Dikko by Naijiant: 10:38pm On Feb 19, 2015
If the ICC arrest him he will have to shut up.
http://www.naijiant.com/articles/pots-and-kettles-in-politricks/
Re: Who Will Ask Obasanjo To Shut Up? - Shehu Dikko by VolvoS60(m): 12:17am On Apr 28, 2015
df2006:
@ Volvo S60

The last thing I would do is to try to absolve Dr Jonathan from all you have stated above.

But looking at the issues keenly and Objectively, I would say Nigerians have seen worse.

I am not a good writer so pls bear with me.

I would remind you that a C in C came out publicly to shout at a bereaved people that he wasn't suppose to be there consoling them, this was after a totally under maintained ammo dump went up in loud bangs maiming a large no of people and sending countless others into a swampy watery grave.

The current Ex C in C campaigning for office now, came out to not only tell us that we were indis-cipline, but said we were use-less, the same man wearing some funny attire, now smiling, begging for my vote.

This people did not, and never had any need for us until one man Jonathan came and made the electoral process more transparent and credible.

This alone is enough to ink my thumb for him.

Like the main article stated, Nigeria is a country of patronage, right from the elite to the dirt poor, and I am afraid it will remain so

Hence the do or die fight for elective posts,

Things that should normally happen in civilised society like sending corrupt people to jail, seldom happen here, this patronage system creates untouchables.

it is thru patronage that Nigeria still remains as one

And like the writer rightly said this means of patronage are slowly being dismantled, and privatised, which is causing the very much div-isive atmosphere now.

Our Combustible nation has made some of our leaders not be able to do the clearly right thing,
Because of our peculiar creation as a Nation.

When people say this is how it is done in the west, why can't we do same, I laugh, because we were not created like the west.

Rather than being confronting, Goodluck has been using institutions, technology, and systems to tackle patronage.

He has single handedly cause the most change howbeit, lackadaisically giving our peculiar nature without the country going up in smoke yet.

(Bh is also the result of the dearth of patronage.)

And for this reason almost every person who has benefited from that patronage is clearly on the other divide and against him, today shouting Change.

Cheers.

^^^^
A lot has happened since this thread.

The elections have come and gone. Dr. Goodluck Jonathan is due to leave office next month.

I am revisiting this thread because the federal government has finally released the PwC report. This was one of the issues that generated a lot of heat on this thread then. I urge you to take a look at the report to see the incredible things written there and draw your own conclusions.

Your post above captured some of Nigeria's contradictions in a concise manner. But as I warned then, there are some things a leader cannot pussyfoot around - they have to be confronted head-on. There is almost nothing that Jonathan can do now (if for argument's sake, we were to give him the benefit of the doubt) about the chamber of horrors that the PwC has thrown up - and the report is not even anything remotely near comprehensive in its scope.

It is not looking good at all for Jonathan and his team.
Re: Who Will Ask Obasanjo To Shut Up? - Shehu Dikko by VolvoS60(m): 12:21am On Apr 28, 2015
nku5:

I respect your opinion but I disagree with your submission.

My last paragraph should not weaken any critic of GEJ, I believe its necessary to draw a line. I am highlighting the failure that is Obj and asking for a crystal clear exposition of any scandal or case of theft in this administration an how they measure up to the cankerworm and beastly glory of Obj. Is that too much to ask? Regarding the PWC report I am sure an opposition that has no problem obtaining top secret letters between the CBN governor and the C in C should have no wahala using the FOI bill to get a copy if it will be of political value to them.

GEJ bashing is a national sport but let's extricate emotion from our analysis.

^^^^
The PwC report is out. What do you think of it?
Re: Who Will Ask Obasanjo To Shut Up? - Shehu Dikko by VolvoS60(m): 12:34am On Apr 28, 2015
kaboninc:

^^^^
Well...there is no more a need for obscure web hyperlinks which only provide 'highlights' of critical white papers and reports. The PwC report has finally been released to the public.

Even to a hardened, unrepentant government defender like yourself the contents of that report should make for sober reading. What do you have to say? Do you still hold the views you held when this thread was at its hottest?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2019: Namadi Sambo Crosses To APC / Don’t Allow North East Slide Back Into Theater Of Terrorism, Atiku Tells FG / New York Times:in Nigeria, Boko Haram Is Not The Problem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.