Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,182 members, 7,880,686 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 02:27 AM

OPINION: Can Obasanjo Still Be Trusted As Our Elder? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / OPINION: Can Obasanjo Still Be Trusted As Our Elder? (475 Views)

Nigeria On Fire, Where Is Our Elder Statesmen? / Obasanjo Still My Father, Says Kashamu / Opinion: Can Apc Wins The Governorship Seat In Akwa Ibom State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

OPINION: Can Obasanjo Still Be Trusted As Our Elder? by xrisdon(m): 8:51pm On Feb 17, 2015
Olusegun Obasanjo– former military leader and Nigerian president who has recently ended his political relationship with the PDP in a dramatic fashion. When I was growing up, old age was a thing of pride.
You used to look forward to being respected like “Pa such-and-such” or “Ma so-and-so”.
When there was any complex or sensitive issue troubling the village, everyone would head to the elders.
Their words were laws then, as they believed that God was listening to their utterances.In my village lived “Papa Paul,” or “Pa Paul,” as he was fondly called. He was once a military man like Obasanjo and was over a hundred years old.
Unlike Obasanjo, however, he was sincere and always mindful of his words. He never lied even as, by virtue of his military position and ripe age, he wintessed things no one else had an opportunity to witness. In matters that required bravery and sincerity, communities and clans called him as witness. He had always delivered these, and no one was able to “cast a stone” on him even after he died.
OBJ shares some similarities with the late Pa Paul:
*.military past,
*.advanced age,
*.access to information not available to others thanks to their positions,
*.both can be seen as leaders thanks to their experience.
There also are some major differences:

*.Pa Paul may be considered a true elder while OBJ may not,
*.Pa Paul was careful while choosing his words while OBJ can seen as flippant,
*.Pa Paul told us that old age was a blessing while OBJ tells us thatold age is a regret,
*.Pa Paul was seen as a statesman while OBJ is now seen as a national disaster.
Can someone please tell OBJ that heis influencing our children with his unguarded utterances? We had expected much more from OBJ. I personally thought that OBJ would retire from politics to become our nationalist since we lack one presently. I thought OBJ would become the “face” of Nigeria on the international level. I thought OBJ would become a “father” to us all. Alas, OBJ has turned into Shakespearean Brutus. Where do we go from here? Who do we run to in times of trouble? Who will tell us howwrong we are without sentiments?
Our elders have lost their values. Buthas all hope been lost? God forbid.Our elders should be kept busy and retain their sense of belonging. I’m advocating that the positions of advisers, special advisers and seniorspecial advisers should be reserved exclusively for the elders. The elders’ coucils in local government ares, and authorities on state and federal levels should be responsible for producing such advisers who could make use of their experiences. Also, a home for the aged should be established and well-funded where the likes of OBJ can still hold sway as leaders with national recognition.

http://www.naij.com/386680-opinion-can-obasanjo-still-be-trusted-as-our-elder.html
Re: OPINION: Can Obasanjo Still Be Trusted As Our Elder? by simplemach(m): 8:53pm On Feb 17, 2015
First of all, your question should be if he can still be recorgnised as an elder self before talking about trust.
Re: OPINION: Can Obasanjo Still Be Trusted As Our Elder? by mymadam(m): 9:02pm On Feb 17, 2015
Can Obasanjo Still Be Trusted As Our Elder?

Yes. God bless Nigeria.
Re: OPINION: Can Obasanjo Still Be Trusted As Our Elder? by xrisdon(m): 9:12pm On Feb 17, 2015
mymadam:

Yes. God bless Nigeria.

and your reasons are .....??
Re: OPINION: Can Obasanjo Still Be Trusted As Our Elder? by xrisdon(m): 10:08pm On Feb 17, 2015
mymadam:

Yes. God bless Nigeria.

and your reasons are .......??

(1) (Reply)

See Election Postponement As A Blessing In Disguise – Seyi Makinde / Is Islamic State Shaping Boko Haram Media? / Controversies Of Goodluck Jonathan 1999 - Till Date

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.