Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,118 members, 7,949,828 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 08:12 PM

Do You Have Good Manners? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do You Have Good Manners? (897 Views)

Not Everyone That Celebrates With You Have Good Intentions / Manners Of Reciting The Quran / Why Do Muslims Behave In Certain Manners?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Have Good Manners? by Acekidc4(m): 9:53am On Feb 18, 2015
An Article laments the decline of Civility in some Parts of the world including Nigeria where Manners were once Considered an Important Cultural Marker.

Now My people; Tell us how you'd Define "GOOD MANNERS." Is it knowing proper etiquette when you're in a Restuarant?

OR

Saying "Please" and "Thank you."?

OR

Being Kind and Thoughtful of Others?

(2)How would you Rate your own Manners? Do you think you have good manners yourself?

(3)Do you think our Society in General is becoming less Civil and More Rude? Why or Why Not?

Sukkot, Johnydon22, Ifeness, Image123, Truthman, Cold, Hiswordxray, Kay17, Malvisguy212, Tallesty, Pastorkun.!!! Come Oh!!

1 Like

Re: Do You Have Good Manners? by johnydon22(m): 10:26am On Feb 18, 2015
Acekidc4:
An Article laments the decline of Civility in some Parts of the world including Nigeria where Manners were once Considered an Important Cultural Marker.

Now My people; Tell us how you'd Define "GOOD MANNERS." Is it knowing proper etiquette when you're in a Restuarant?

OR

OR

Manner can be defined as your mode of action, way of performing or affecting anything.

Good have a more complex, complicated and diverse meaning but in this case it may be defined as having positive attributes, or satisfactory attributes.

So good manners can be said to mean having manners that exhibits positivity and satisfactory influence on the the society and you as well.

Acekidc4:

(2)How would you Rate your own Manners? Do you think you have good manners yourself?
Your good manners are meant to positively impact the society at large. Do you go about telling yourself thank you? No you dont, manners are expressed outwardly to the society so i think the society gives you a feedback of what your manners are.

Acekidc4:

(3)Do you think our Society in General is becoming less Civil and More Rude? Why or Why Not?
I think our society just as always is still battling and wading in the pool of desires that can go against what others think, the human society have always struggled in the past to appear more civil, So i think the society is still on this even till now. . i cannot say if we are becoming less or more civil/rude. .
Acekidc4:

Sukkot, Johnydon22, Ifeness, Image123, Truthman, Cold, Hiswordxray.!!! Come Oh!!
Johnydon22 signing in sir... smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Have Good Manners? by Nobody: 10:48am On Feb 18, 2015
Every culture and traditions around the world have different ways they perceived someone to be rude or polite. Africans before Islam or Christianity had a different look to what they called "Good Manners". Receiving an item with your right hand from someone older than you is considered polite in many parts of Africa,but is considered irrelevant to the Europeans.

I remembered visiting attending a friend's wedding in France. I prostrated(Yoruba greetings to an adult) to his dad and everyone laughed. To them it was unnecessary. The next time I ran into him I simply shook his hand.

We all have one thing in common. Saying "Please" and "Thank you" when necessary is generally accepted. When I ask my 2 years old son to get me the TV remote without saying please,I noticed he would say "daddy won't you say please". He started that after only 3 months of attending his per-nursery school.

In Paris it is rude to drink from your wine before a toast with your friends. It is considered rude to not to pull a lady's chair or sit before her in a restaurant. In England it is rude to ask after a lady's age and also offer to shake her hands.Display of public affection is considered a bad manner in Uganda,making eye contact with adult during a conversation is considered a bad manner in South Africa.In my house,leaving your plate in the sink is bad a manner. In Ghana,do not begin eating before the eldest male does.

I do not think there is a decline of good manners,I think it is a case of many borrowed manners from other parts of the world that hasn't fit into a different society.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Have Good Manners? by Acekidc4(m): 11:18am On Feb 18, 2015
johnydon22:

Manner can be defined as your mode of action, way of performing or affecting anything.

Good have a more complex, complicated and diverse meaning but in this case it may be defined as having positive attributes, or satisfactory attributes.

So good manners can be said to mean having manners that exhibits positivity and satisfactory influence on the the society and you as well.

Your good manners are meant to positively impact the society at large. Do you go about telling yourself thank you? No you dont, manners are expressed outwardly to the society so i think the society gives you a feedback of what your manners are.

I think our society just as always is still battling and wading in the pool of desires that can go against what others think, the human society have always struggled in the past to appear more civil, So i think the society is still on this even till now. . i cannot say if we are becoming less or more civil/rude. .
Johnydon22 signing in sir... smiley

Nice input Sir!! Really appreciate it!!
Re: Do You Have Good Manners? by Image123(m): 9:29pm On Feb 18, 2015
Acekidc4:

OR

OR

Manner is simply a way something is done. So something can be done well or not done well. Something can be done good or not done good. This is basically what good manner or bad manner is about. Since people are different, and societies are different, and cultures are different, it follows that the way or manners things are done would be different. Good manners could be relative and culturally diverse. This is because humans are diverse. What we promote more should be harmony, not necessary same manners. Because everybody simply cannot do things the same way. We have that free will and God to a large extent permits and orchestrates the beauty of the variety. The Bible encourages us to have good manners, and the three examples you the OP have listed are good manners. To a large extent, the christian view point concerning manners is to behave as a roman when in rome.
1Co 10:32 Give none offense, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:
1Pe 3:8 Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:
Rom 13:7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honor to whom honor.
Rom 13:8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

A normal person therefore is encouraged to try to know what is obtainable in the environment and adjust, ESPECIALLY as it does not contradict God's Word. God gives that liberty.

Many times, i think i am not as thankful as i ought to be. Manners around where i stay are along the lines of being quick to say SORRY, THANK YOU and PLEASE.
Isa 1:17 Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow.

i think i'm trying with the others, but i leave in a community where i sometimes wonder if i can cope with their level of thankfulness. cheesy cheesy But i am trying and learning. If someone helps you or does something you would perhaps take for granted, especially someone older, you will say thank you. Then the next day again, you will remember to say thanks for yesterday cheesy cheesy cheesy.

Sukkot, Johnydon22, Ifeness, Image123, Truthman, Cold, Hiswordxray, Kay17, Malvisguy212, Tallesty, Pastorkun.!!! Come Oh!!
Yes, i think the society is removing the fine line and the boundary. So that, being mannerless is being more projected in the media and people are adapting to that. The manners that are common nowadays are borne out of eye-service, sycophancy, and selfish intent and interest.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

5 Types Of Nigerian Pastors / If It’s Not The Gospel Of Grace Is It A Gospel? / Picture Of A Man Resting In His Grave

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.