Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,894 members, 7,949,114 topics. Date: Saturday, 14 September 2024 at 07:00 PM

Prof. Jega: I Can’t Guarantee March 28 Date - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prof. Jega: I Can’t Guarantee March 28 Date (470 Views)

INEC Can’t Guarantee Conclusive Elections In 2019 –chairman / I Can’t Guarantee Fulani Herdsmen’s Safety, Says Fayose / Jega: I Was Never Threatened, Asked To Go On Leave Before Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Prof. Jega: I Can’t Guarantee March 28 Date by marked10(m): 10:54am On Feb 20, 2015
The Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Attahiru Jega has said that he can’t guarantee the conduct of the general elections on March 28 and April 11.

Jega stated this on Wednesday, February 18, while appearing before the Senate to explain INEC’s readiness to conduct the polls.

The INEC chairman added that only the military could determine if the elections would hold on the scheduled dates.

When asked to give a clear assurance on the dates, Jega said:

“I think it is a very difficult question to answer. I have said consistently that there are things under the control of electoral commission and there are things that are not under the control of electoral commission. For things that are under our control, I can give definite and categorical assurances.”

“On what is not under our control, it is futile, it is fruitless and useless to give a definite guarantee on them. I think that question should be directed appropriately. The questions of security, I will leave it, I don’t think I am competent to answer it sufficiently,” he added.

Jega however stated that any further demand for postponement of the polls would be unconstitutional.

“Every Nigerian knows we want elections to hold… within a constitutional time frame. The security agencies are (made up of) patriotic Nigerians. Let’s give them the benefit of the doubt. We should be fair also to the military. Soldiers are also patriotic Nigerians. I don’t see how anybody will contemplate any extension beyond these six weeks. There is no constitutional grounds upon which you can do that. For us, we work by the constitution, by the law. That is what is guiding us and we should all put the interest of the nation at heart,” Jega said. - See more at: http://www.exlinklodge.com/2015/02/prof-jega-i-cant-guarantee-march-28-date.html#sthash.Osk70qtl.dpuf

Re: Prof. Jega: I Can’t Guarantee March 28 Date by neyyo101: 11:26am On Feb 20, 2015
Who is fooling who? I need to develope a game called *NAIJA POLITICS on chess board* no be Johny alone dey do me corny oooo grin

(1) (Reply)

Synagogue: Court To Rule On T.B. Joshua’s Objection / Just Thinking Out Loud / Obasanjo's New Found Love For Buhari: Matters Arising...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.