Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,197 members, 7,873,882 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:29 PM

Obasanjo: Pdp’s Lost Crown Jewel - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo: Pdp’s Lost Crown Jewel (727 Views)

Rivers Re-run: Wike Would Have Gone Had PDP Lost — Okorocha / Why PDP Lost Ondo – Kashamu / We Haven’t Recovered From Fighting Obasanjo, PDP Laments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo: Pdp’s Lost Crown Jewel by Tonnyb12(m): 7:33am On Feb 22, 2015
Following the theatrical exit of former President Olusegun Obasanjo from the Peoples Democratic Party, TOBI AWORINDE examines the implications for the party

Last Monday, the nation witnessed how former President Olusegun Obasanjo, in a dramatic fashion, dumped the Peoples Democratic Party, which brought him to power in 1999.

Obasanjo, while hosting officials and members of the party from Ward 11, Abeokuta North Ogun State at his Hilltop residence, officially cut ties with the party by having his membership card torn to bits.

The road leading to the ex-President’s renouncement of the ruling party has been all but smooth. Political observers point to a letter by Obasanjo dated December 2, 2013, which severely criticised President Goodluck Jonathan’s government, as the genesis of his recent exit.

In the 18-page letter, Obasanjo accused the President of, among other things, not honouring his words and taking actions calculated at destroying Nigeria.

Entitled ‘Before it is too late’, the former President’s letter accused Jonathan of pursuing “selfish personal and political interests” based on advice from his “self-centred aides.” He also alleged that the President had failed to deliver on his promises to Nigerians to curb insurgency and corruption in the country.

“Nigeria is bleeding and the haemorrhage must be stopped,” Obasanjo fumed, adding that Jonathan had “betrayed God and Nigerians” who voted him into power.

Obasanjo further alleged that Jonathan had not only placed more than 1,000 high-profile Nigerians on a watch list, but that he had succeeded in destroying the PDP and polarising the country along regional and religious lines. The one-time military ruler also accused President Jonathan of being involved in anti-party activities.

The former head of state, in his letter, claimed that Jonathan reneged on his promise that he would not seek a second term and that his ambition had worsened the crises in the PDP.

“Up till two months ago, Mr. President, you told me that you have not told anybody that you would contest in 2015. I quickly pointed out to you that the signs and the measures on the ground do not tally with your statement. You said the same to one other person who shared his observation with me. And only a fool would believe that statement you made to me judging by what is going on. I must say it is not ingenious. You may wish to pursue a more credible and more honourable path,” the ex-President had said.

He added that before the 2011 general elections, the President told some governors and the PDP stakeholders that he would not seek re-election.

On November 11, 2014, Obasanjo was conspicuously absent at Jonathan’s declaration to contest the 2015 presidential election in Abuja. His absence was noticed because in 2011, the President had received an unequivocal endorsement from the former party chieftain.

Two weeks after, during an encounter with book writers in Abeokuta, Ogun State, to mark the popular Ake Festival, Obasanjo described Jonathan’s performance as below average.

Asked to assess the current administration, the ex-President said, “His (Jonathan’s) performance is below average. I will not accept responsibility for his performance. There is nobody that gets to such a position without being helped.”

A few days after, Jonathan responded by describing himself as the best leader produced by Nigeria. The President said no other leader since the country gained independence in 1960 had done better for the country.

A statement by his Special Assistant on Public Affairs, Dr. Doyin Okupe, said, “Our attention has been drawn to comments made by a former President of this country, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, regarding the performance of the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan.
What has been described as a highly anticipated climax to the drawn-out dispute eventually came with Obasanjo’s exit from the party on Monday.

The ex-President claimed that Jonathan’s administration had almost run the country aground, stating, “They said they want to expel me from the PDP, although I have not been told that; I have my ears to the ground. We have been trying to run away from a mad man but he pleads we wait for him at the other side of the river.

“I have told you before that I became President on the platform of the PDP and once I leave the party, I will not join any other party. I will only be a Nigerian; I am ready to work with anybody regardless of political affiliation. Why would some people say they want to send me away? They don’t need to bother themselves. Here’s your membership card.”

Obasanjo then handed his card over to the leader of the Ward 11 delegation, the chairman of the ward, Mr. Usman Oladunjoye, who tore it up.

Handing the pieces of the card to his visitors, Obasanjo said, “From today on, in the presence of all of us and with your support, I am not going to be in any political party in Nigeria. I am no more a politician but a statesman, both internally and externally.

“This Nigeria belongs to all of us and we must not allow anybody to destroy it. Wherever they come from, if they destroy it, it becomes a burden to us, our children and the incoming generation. The question asked is: Which party am I? I belong to the group that believes that Nigeria must not be destroyed.”

About two hours after the ex-President said he had dumped the party, the Ogun State PDP executive council, headed by Mr. Adebayo Dayo, announced the latter’s expulsion over what it termed his “series of unabated anti-party activities.
The Head of Department, Political Science, University of Lagos, Prof. Solomon Akinboye, however, expressed doubt that the ex-President’s departure from the party would have much of an effect on the party.

According to him, Obasanjo was simply a card-carrying member of the party and had not played an active role in the party since stepping down as the BoT chairman in 2013.

“He (Obasanjo) had already stopped participating in party activities, so, I don’t see how his exit from the party can affect the party significantly,” Akinboye said.
Source: http://www.punchng.com/politics/obasanjo-pdps-lost-crown-jewel/
Re: Obasanjo: Pdp’s Lost Crown Jewel by drtwist(m): 7:43am On Feb 22, 2015
Re: Obasanjo: Pdp’s Lost Crown Jewel by temitemi1(m): 7:51am On Feb 22, 2015
GEJ till 2019!!!
Re: Obasanjo: Pdp’s Lost Crown Jewel by Caseless: 7:57am On Feb 22, 2015
I love baba!
Re: Obasanjo: Pdp’s Lost Crown Jewel by omenka(m): 8:17am On Feb 22, 2015
PDP has indeed lost her Crown Jewel. Obj is no saint, we all know that, but what you cannot take away from him is his political staying power, the respect nigerians across all political, ethnic and religious divides have for him, his street credibility (one thing Nigerians adore about the man), his frankness, and his ability to bring warring parties to dialogue and mend broken fences.

I can't see anyone in the party that can fill the vacuum his exit has left behind; not even ...

Anenih (Nigerians hate him with lethal passion),

Ekwueme (Nigerians don't really connect to him as much as they do Obj. The "street credibility" factor is lacking in him).

Bode George (Hated like Anenih).

IBB (we simply can't read him, untrustworthy).

Tukur (mscheeew).

Kashamu (a no brainer. Most Nigerians don't know him).

Clerk (ethnic bigot with no relevance outside the Niger Delta).

etc etc.

Obj will surely be missed.
Re: Obasanjo: Pdp’s Lost Crown Jewel by Tonnyb12(m): 8:23am On Feb 22, 2015
omenka:
PDP has indeed lost her Crown Jewel. Obj is no saint, we all know that, but what you cannot take away from him is his political staying power, the respect nigerians across all political, ethnic and religious divides have for him, his street credibility (one thing Nigerians adore about the man), his frankness, and his ability to bring warring parties to dialogue and mend broken fences.

I can't see anyone in the party that can fill the vacuum his exit has left behind; not even ...

Ekwueme (Nigerians don't really connect to him as much as they do Obj. The "street credibility" factor is lacking in him).

Tukur (mscheeew).

etc etc.

Surely baba will be missed
Re: Obasanjo: Pdp’s Lost Crown Jewel by Tonnyb12(m): 8:25am On Feb 22, 2015
drtwist:
Space bookers
Re: Obasanjo: Pdp’s Lost Crown Jewel by omenka(m): 8:26am On Feb 22, 2015
Tonnyb12:

Surely baba will be missed
These are the things the party sees which these kids that come around here to play can't.
Re: Obasanjo: Pdp’s Lost Crown Jewel by Nobody: 8:32am On Feb 22, 2015
omenka:

Tukur (mscheeew).

etc etc.

(1) (Reply)

APC Not Happy With Economic Progress – PDP / Unilorin President Suspended / See Video/pics Of Lekki Gun Attack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.