Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,399 members, 7,971,442 topics. Date: Thursday, 10 October 2024 at 10:04 AM

5 Bible Passages That Will Help Us With Money - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / 5 Bible Passages That Will Help Us With Money (1064 Views)

NNN Nigeria Will Help Me Celebrate Christmas / Please Help Us To Have A Life / Diamond Bank, Its Managers Charged With Money Laundering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Bible Passages That Will Help Us With Money by smilingazor: 8:08pm On Feb 22, 2015
5 Bible Passages That Help Us With Money
Money is one of those funny things that we need to deal with in life.  If we have too little, we tend to struggle finding ways to make ends meet.  Yet if we have to much, we risk falling into a downward spiral of greed and gluttony.  Loving the Book of Proverbs and the many tidbits of wisdom that it bestows upon us, here are 5 Bible passages that help us with money.
Proverbs 27:12
The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.

Always keep looking forward into the future while trying to plan for events and emergencies.  Some people may think that you’re just assuming that something bad is going to happen but there is nothing wrong with having some sort of emergency fund in case something happens.  Better safe than sorry, right?  It may take you a few months of staying in and pinching the penny, but once you get your emergency fund set up, you can live your life worry free that you’re going to struggle if your car breaks down or Heaven forbid, you get hurt and can’t work for a bit.

Proverbs 15:22
Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed.

One of my college professors told me once that you should have a mentor for everything that you do in life.  He told me that if there is someone that you think is the perfect husband, you try to model yourself after him with your own twist on it.  He told me that the same goes for being a good friend, father, teacher, servant, and even on being financially wise.  This is especially true when you’re younger.  We all like to think that we’re the smartest person in the room and that we know everything, but it doesn’t hurt to have people who are either older, wiser, or who have more experience in something advising you.  I had to learn the hard way and let me tell you, this is especially true regarding money.

Proverbs 21:17
He who loves pleasure will become poor; whoever loves wine and oil [luxury some translations] will never be rich.

I’m a big fan of living your life filling it with things that you enjoy.  But then I also learned that there is a fine line of what it means to buy things that you like, and living withing your means.  This Proverb lays it out simply and clearly that if you continue to love high priced things and things that you can’t afford, you’ll never be able to become rich.  Now this could have a dual meaning.  On one hand, you have the obvious, if you spend money on expensive things, you’ll never be rich.  Then there’s the underlying, you’re becoming a materialistic person even if you do have copious amounts of money and therefore are not rich in the spirit.

Proverbs 21:20
In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish man devours all he has.

When I read this passage and think deeply on it, I don’t think of the typical savings that many of us have.  It’s not enough to just save money.  The passage specifically states that the house of the wise stores choice food and oil.  In my opinion, this means that in modern context, we should not only save money but save them in choice investments.  Smart investments are easy enough to find.  They could be something as simple as having smart investments that are low risk, to making sure that we buy things that we need rather than things that we want.  We don’t always have to go out and buy the luxury item or invest into high risk high gain stocks.  We need to think carefully before we act.

Proverbs 6:6-9
Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise…Which, having no captain, overseer or ruler…Provides her supplies in the summer, and gathers her food in the harvest…

Everyone knows the story of the Ant and the Grasshopper.  This is a wonderful Proverb that gets straight to the point.  It highlights the fact that we can always learn new lessons about life through nature and all of God’s wonders.  The message is simple: there are things that need to be done even if you’re not told that you have to do them by someone overseeing you.  And as we all know from the children’s tale, hard work pays off.  And in the end, its still nice to help others who had to learn the lesson the hard way.

I hope that everyone takes these lessons from the Holy Book to heart.  God has granted us great wisdom and these will hopefully prepare you for a comfortable future regarding your finances.  Money is seen as an evil, but I believe that its not evil if its being used for ministry.  You are not in any way mandated to give away your money especially if you worked for it.  But it does feel good to help others in need and to help feed the hungry.
Re: 5 Bible Passages That Will Help Us With Money by emmykk(m): 4:01am On Feb 23, 2015
Well codified.very analytical

1 Like

Re: 5 Bible Passages That Will Help Us With Money by smilingazor: 2:27am On Feb 24, 2015
Thanks @ emmykk
Re: 5 Bible Passages That Will Help Us With Money by krak101(m): 6:05am On Feb 24, 2015
Nice piece... Keep it up

(1) (Reply)

Jp Morgan Says It Could Remove Nigeria From Key Bond Index / Quarry Bussiness / Hot; Job opportunity for any Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.