Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,624 members, 7,972,313 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 08:45 AM

Okadaman's Improvised Helmet - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Okadaman's Improvised Helmet (1987 Views)

Mr. Okada And His Bucket Helmet / Cyclist(okada Riders) To Wear Helmet Starting January 1st 2009. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okadaman's Improvised Helmet by kokoye(m): 2:16pm On Jan 08, 2009
Even the enforcement FRSC officer could not help but laugh at this sight.

Re: Okadaman's Improvised Helmet by abbey10(m): 5:21pm On Jan 08, 2009
OMG!!!
See the passenger with the serious look!
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Okadaman's Improvised Helmet by kokoye(m): 5:37pm On Jan 08, 2009
LOL

I'm sure this sight is becoming common nowadays . . so the passenger is only fearing for his life and praying seriously. Unfortunately we have no choice but to enter okada to avoid some traffic jams.

But wait o, is it safe to use the helmet the driver provides (bearing in mind is it for EVERYONE (oloriburukus, olorinla, gorimapa, dada) . . or we should be leaving the house with our own personal helmet

I wonder.

I love my country I no go lie, na inside am I go . . . opps! I am not worthy to complete that line of the song grin
Re: Okadaman's Improvised Helmet by jenju(m): 5:42pm On Jan 08, 2009
Okadas are a common means to move about the country, but helmets that now cost up to N9,000 because of the new law are easily stolen. Many of the bikers operate as taxis. When they reach their destination, many passengers steal the helmet. Bikers and passengers alike have responded with improvised helmets, including calabashes. May God help us.

Here are some more pics:

Re: Okadaman's Improvised Helmet by jenju(m): 5:47pm On Jan 08, 2009
This Alley cat, popularly known around Ajegunle as "Ologbo iya agba" must have heard of the new law. smiley

Re: Okadaman's Improvised Helmet by kokoye(m): 5:55pm On Jan 08, 2009
shocked shocked
This is serious I cant even laugh.

Taking a hard look at the pictures, will these 'helmets' really save lives in the event of an accident? I think not - cos those things looks like theyre made from nylon. Also chek out the hard looks on peoples' faces.

A business idea / suggestion: Since it might not be adviceable to put on the helmet provided by the driver (and not very convinient to go about with your own helmet),  start using or selling protective shields (maybe nylon) to cover the head before using the driver's helmet.

God help us.
Re: Okadaman's Improvised Helmet by Ukpekeson(m): 6:24pm On Jan 08, 2009
hope some kind head related diseases will not arise as a result of this policy oooo shocked
Re: Okadaman's Improvised Helmet by mexismic: 6:58pm On Jan 08, 2009

lagos na wa o
Re: Okadaman's Improvised Helmet by igwe11(m): 9:03pm On Jan 08, 2009
jenju:

This Alley cat, popularly known around Ajegunle as "Ologbo iya agba" must have heard of the new law.  smiley

ROFLOL  grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Okadaman's Improvised Helmet by keyremotes(m): 9:30pm On Jan 08, 2009
This is not a laughing matter.

This only goes to show the level of ignorance in this country.

My heart bleeds.

Those who value their lives will do the needful. Just like the seat belt issue, a lot of people only comply to "please" law enforcement agents.

Do we need to be told how to live life on the "safe lane".?

When the accident happens who will bare the brunt. , we know the obvious.
Re: Okadaman's Improvised Helmet by kokoye(m): 9:35pm On Jan 08, 2009
Looking at one of the pictures above, some mobile policemen have started selling / losing their helmets. cheesy
Re: Okadaman's Improvised Helmet by bronxdog: 9:47pm On Jan 08, 2009
A simple rule - made with intent to protect both the driver and the passenger, now becomes a laughing matter, a thing to ridicule and a thing to make topics on NairaLand, instead of people to pray so the ignorant cant see the need to use the helment, to enlighten of the need to protect your head, but no, people blame government and the authority, people balme government for the way senseless people cover their heads with buckets, and when the rate of accident on okada became alarming, people still blame government, when accidents happens and someone dies for failure to use a seat belt, people blame government - why, why, why?

Nigeria is the only country where you will beg citizens and even make a law for them to wear a seat belt, the only place you have to make a law for people to wear protective helmets, the only place where those laws will be flagrantly abused, it is such a sad case.

People, it is not a laughing matter - it is a people who cant think, reason and see and do what is right that behave like such people in those pictures.
Re: Okadaman's Improvised Helmet by kokoye(m): 2:14pm On Jan 09, 2009
Bronx_dog

Abeg, take life easy o. You sound really uptight. You had better start to see humour in some things in life so you don't die of depression, hypertension and self-torture.

If you take a look at the entire thread, I'm sure you'll notice the advice and encouragement given all through . . and not only the funny part of it.

Yea, rules are made in Nigeria, but have you thought of the poverty level, and how many people can truly afford these things, how many officers are goin to make money from it . . and how people are going to improvise to beat the rules . . just like the govt officials themselves do all the time?

You propably do not live in Nigeria, but if I must tell you, Nigeria is a unique country - things that work elsewhere do not work in Nigeria because of our crude system, culture and corruption.  For instance, the Lagos state govt is doing a damn good thing by clearing oshodi market, but on the flip side of it, think of how many people have been rendered shopless, homeless and jobless - in a country that does not care about its citizens, what do you think those people will resort to in order to survive? stealing of course. 

When yo think of it, how many okada drivers or passengers can TRULY afford 9000 naira for a single helmet? Also consider the fact that enforcement officers will always take bribes and these helmets will be stolen. Plus the govt will SURELY NOT offer any form of assistance. So yea, people will look for ways around it. Life means next to nothing to a man who is really trying to survive.

So again, if you don't want to keep depressing yourself, see the houmour in life while offering good advice.
Re: Okadaman's Improvised Helmet by hbrednic: 5:08pm On Jan 09, 2009
bronx_dog:

A simple rule - made with intent to protect both the driver and the passenger, now becomes a laughing matter, a thing to ridicule and a thing to make topics on NairaLand, instead of people to pray so the ignorant can't see the need to use the helment, to enlighten of the need to protect your head, but no, people blame government and the authority, people balme government for the way senseless people cover their heads with buckets, and when the rate of accident on okada became alarming, people still blame government, when accidents happens and someone dies for failure to use a seat belt, people blame government - why, why, why?

Nigeria is the only country where you will beg citizens and even make a law for them to wear a seat belt, the only place you have to make a law for people to wear protective helmets, the only place where those laws will be flagrantly abused, it is such a sad case.

People, it is not a laughing matter - it is a people who can't think, reason and see and do what is right that behave like such people in those pictures.

hope you are on ur knees already  tongue embarassed shocked grin (the ignorant can't see the need to use the helment)
Re: Okadaman's Improvised Helmet by mrofficial(m): 5:45pm On Jan 09, 2009
OMG! A motorcyclist was taking me home yesterday night, when it got to a stage, the breeze blew the helmet from my head, because i didn't put it well. Immediately the helmet moved out of my head, i told the motorcyclist to stop, he quickly turned back, getting there, we couldn't find it. I believe someone else took the helmet before we got there. This thing happened when the guy started running like a slowpoke. well i promised to get him another one.

The helmet was too dirty and had round plastic in it.

Na wa for lagos.

(1) (Reply)

2003-04 Honda Accord(end Of Discussion) For Sale: Full Options / Free Vin Checks: 5 - 10 Per Day. / Sparkling 2005 Honda Accord(navigation System) 4sale @ Cheap Price N1.270m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.