Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,391 members, 7,920,491 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 08:15 AM

Help! Lagosians Are In Trouble. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Help! Lagosians Are In Trouble. (2773 Views)

Lagosians, Are You Missing Babatunde Raji Fashola (SAN)? / Lagosians Are Tired Of ACN -PDP / How Lagosians Are Robbed Daily By Traffic Thieves (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! Lagosians Are In Trouble. by Nobody: 5:15am On Jan 11, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Oh boy!!! What is the name of your family since you claim to be a native.

Balogun!!!!!! and it's not a native name, it's a chieftain title all over Yoruba Land.
Re: Help! Lagosians Are In Trouble. by Nobody: 7:00am On Jan 11, 2009
olanajim:

@stilwater,
it is not too much. You know. As a Nigerian, I am very much aware of how things work here.

My point is, if government is serious about reducing acidents caused by okada, then it must tackle the problem headlong. What is going on is, as far as I am concerned, cosmetic approach.

There should be enforcement in all aspect (obeying traffic rules, limiting speed, checking the mental state of the okada riders, effective traffic control, providing viable alternative to okada etc ) and not just helmet wearing alone. It is after that that I can take them serious. . .

Stop being naive. You too dey complain. The helmet is a step in the right direction. You have to start somewhere. There are moves being made to curb okada accidents. I believe Okada has been banned in PH. I believe they are also restricted to certain areas in Abuja. They will be BANNED in lagos very soon. Wait till the BRT, Light rail and Corporate taxis are fully implemented. There will be no need/excuses to ride okadas and they will be banned. Rome wasn't built in a day and quit nagging.
Re: Help! Lagosians Are In Trouble. by Aragonc: 7:31am On Jan 11, 2009
Let them jump into the lagoon,you know there're so many lagoons in lagos,so let everyone find the nearest one and jump in.But you poster, you have to take the lead,so others may kindly follow you.
Re: Help! Lagosians Are In Trouble. by olanajim(m): 10:14am On Jan 11, 2009
A-town,
what had naivity got to do with enforcing law instead of dancing round the issue? If they want to ban okada, let them begin the process instead of all these shenanigan. You can not deny the fact that the real problem is not being addressed.
Re: Help! Lagosians Are In Trouble. by mustafar1: 12:20pm On Jan 11, 2009
maybe, making them more responsible riders and passengers might not require total ban
Re: Help! Lagosians Are In Trouble. by bronxdog: 12:28pm On Jan 11, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

Your brother must have been one of the pioneers of Okada riders then, I thought Okada was introduced in the 90s, well I might be wrong though.

cheesy

Back to the topic,I believe we shouldn't risk any form of accident and we should always take safety as a priority regardless of what we do, In that case,I'll jump on the bandwagon of helmet supporters, better to have a helmet worn in time of need than not have one strapped on the chin in time of need.

Your butt hole must be red, for this dull statement - the law existed all along, you cant ride a motorbike in Nigeria without using an helmet - I dont know how old you are and how long you been out of Nigeria - and also other peeps talking jazz in here - the law is not only for Okada riders, it is for every soul who rides a motorbike in Nigeria. What the hell?

Have you seen delivery drivers in Nigeria, have you seen corporate motorbike riders? have you seen how they cover their heads with their helmets always, they cant ride thier bikes without puitting on their helmets - so what the big deal about okada riders doing same?
Re: Help! Lagosians Are In Trouble. by Kobojunkie: 4:30pm On Jan 11, 2009
must_a_far:

maybe, making them more responsible riders and passengers might not require total ban

I am against the idea to BAN yet another need in Nigeria. BAN seems to be the solution we profer to most every issue we are not willing to intelligently deal with, and having lived in that country long enough to observe the consequence of so many bans, as much as I am anti-Okada, I will not support a ban on Okada's. Same reason I had against the proferred ban on generators by some senator last year, I have here. Do not ban, provide better alternatives and you will see the people move away from oKada to the alternative and in time Okada rider's will get the message. When you ban okada use, are you going to also ban individuals owning and riding their Okada's ( Motorcycle) wherever they want to? Or are we going to come up with a ridiculous law banning more than one rider per bike? Okada fills a gap; if you provide an alternative, people will move towards that and we will have fewer okada riders and be better able to manage them.
Re: Help! Lagosians Are In Trouble. by BOSS7: 4:57pm On Jan 11, 2009
bronx_dog:

Your butt hole must be red, for this dull statement - the law existed all along, you can't ride a motorbike in Nigeria without using an helmet - I don't know how old you are and how long you been out of Nigeria - and also other peeps talking jazz in here - the law is not only for Okada riders, it is for every soul who rides a motorbike in Nigeria. What the hell?

Have you seen delivery drivers in Nigeria, have you seen corporate motorbike riders? have you seen how they cover their heads with their helmets always, they can't ride their bikes without puitting on their helmets - so what the big deal about okada riders doing same?

What's dull about my statement. I said that I'm behind the helmet supporters. What's so dumb about that? Did you read my statement properly that "I'll jump on the bandwagon of helmet supporters, better to have a helmet worn in time of need".

This is the rypical you dissing people first and running a mad temper. Are you ok? Relax man. I support helwet users all along and that's my stance. So why're you dissing me when we're on the same side. I really don't want to get back at you. Quit your internet thugging because it'll do your future no good.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Lagos Hopes A Railway Will End Daily Endurance Test And Change Lives / GEJ Shame:Ghana has 60% Of Nigeria's Generated Capacity For Electricity / Protesters Set Churches In Niger Republic On Fire Over Charlie Hebdo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.