Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,821 members, 7,872,755 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 09:08 PM

Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder (32106 Views)

Can You Work From Home Part-time As A Banker Or Company Worker? / Lagos Banker Sacked For Tweeting About Hating His Job / The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by ruffhandu: 6:04pm On Feb 26, 2015
paschenko:

Fresh graduate earning 250k? Abeg which bank? Cos I was in d banking sector for 6 years never saw a fresher earn 250k monthly.

That's not hard to find. You must have done your banking in the old days.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by Ephemmm: 6:08pm On Feb 26, 2015
Moz22:
Bro...abeg which bank dey pay that kind amount as a fresh grad make i run apply shap shap. Bt serz, its quite rare and besides fresh grads here where i work earn 70k per month and are being placed on contracts.

Friend, being an outsourced staff is different from being a real professional staff of a bank. As a Transaction Officer, Teller, Customer Service Officer, Secretaries, Security Officer etc you are an operational staff and there is likelihood that your Vendor take higher per cent of your salary.

You are not entitled to some benefits like - promotions, profit sharing and some allowances. I know of a GM that collect 30m as profit sharing for the year 2014 not to talk of his salary.

Get a job from Access Bank or Zenith as a professional staff and you will come here to testify to the authenticity of this claim.
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by Ephemmm: 6:15pm On Feb 26, 2015
ntyce:
A colleague just resumed from 6 months suspension and had a debit of 3.5 million posted in her account last week.
Banking can be fun but quite risky.

Which job is not risky in Nigeria my friend? Even FG dey sack workers willy-nilly not to talk of private individuals: army is not an exemption. It is better for you to work in bank, endure the stress for about five years to gain business connection and money to start your entrepreneaurship.

Majority of works in lagos now is marketing job and people are using their legs to waka from one place to another to look for customers. See bankers inside their cars with correct suit, you will not even know that they are not the real owner until they tell you so.

No job is secured: most profitable businesses involves higher risk: take risk and learn or grow: don't take risk and remain stagnant.

Remember, you may not know how far you can go until you risk the impossibility.
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by Kzinne: 6:35pm On Feb 26, 2015
Adyrin:

OK

I think you're confused or idle.

If you get to the bank one good day and find out that there's no staff because all of them came to an end point to drop the job due to reasons. You stated, who would pay you?

No matter the type of job, so far its honest and a source of livelihood then do it gal..!

God that uplifts would definitely do that when its the right time!

Peace y'all
stop living in the past. most bank jobs would soon b automated e.g tellers. what are atms for? to cut costs banks would evolve technology across board that when enter a banking hall, all ull b seeing wud be machines and robots
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by southboss(m): 6:37pm On Feb 26, 2015
cheesy nyc write up. I like it
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by ednut1(m): 6:38pm On Feb 26, 2015
i wud neva work in a bank grin
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by hayoakins(m): 6:40pm On Feb 26, 2015
FriedPlantain:
isn't it a bit ironically funny that the Op trying to dissuade others from wandering into the banking jaws is actually a banker. undecided Except for the understandable case of lack of job security in the banking sector, and the high susceptibility of losing parts of one hard earned salary, I see no other reason why I won't go for a bank Job. Banking job opens one up to a lotta experience, networking and the pay is one of the highest in the country as well.

FriedPlantain

Lol.

I won't think twice if another industry comes calling. Career growth isn't guaranteed in the banking sector. Moving mountains does not guarantee same either.
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by Visman(m): 6:56pm On Feb 26, 2015
slimzypink:
I love the male bankers tho, they are well suited expecially Gt bank
shey na suit u go chop ni
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by ednut1(m): 7:03pm On Feb 26, 2015
Kzinne:
stop living in the past. most bank jobs would soon b automated e.g tellers. what are atms for? to cut costs banks would evolve technology across board that when enter a banking hall, all ull b seeing wud be machines and robots
robots wud access my character nd collateral wen i apply for loans robots wud coordinate movement nd placement of cash. robots wud defend dem selves from hacking robots wud handle recruitment,robots wud formulate policies nd attend cbn meetings he he he

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by 234GT(m): 7:03pm On Feb 26, 2015
Omo banking is not as bad as people paint it jare. I am on annual leave and I am enjoying myself!
Na so so sleep sleep till 23rd March!

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by newdawn09(m): 7:04pm On Feb 26, 2015
The best thing is to be an entrepreneur.
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by Jonwesley(m): 7:06pm On Feb 26, 2015
prettythicksme:
Bank is a good place to work,op all these are minor thingz someone can deals with easily naa.

Prethythicksme! Are U as raw as what ur monicker says. Why then d denials from U folks. U re an embodiment of d language.
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by Kzinne: 7:08pm On Feb 26, 2015
ednut1:
robots wud access my character nd collateral wen i apply for loans robots wud coordinate movement nd placement of cash. robots wud defend dem selves from hacking robots wud handle recruitment,robots wud formulate policies nd attend cbn meetings he he he
yes. branches wud bcom nonexistent soonin terms in staffin
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by femummy(f): 7:18pm On Feb 26, 2015
Kachisbarbie:
Rubbish tongue
Banking, just like every other profession is in stages.

The effort an ET would put in, can't be the same with when he is an SBO or AM.
There are some duties you drop along the way.

The bank also matters. (I don't want to mention names of banks) but there is one thing i'm sure of, you can't keep getting C in your appraisal and expect to be promoted. In fact, if there is need for downsizing they would first target the redundant staff.

these appraisals are most times dependent on your relationship with your immediaite supervisor and not a true translation of your peformance. a supervisor that for one reason or the other does not like you will keep giving you C no matter how good your audit report or mystery shoppers report is. Im saying this from experience.
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by femummy(f): 7:20pm On Feb 26, 2015
ntyce:
A colleague just resumed from 6 months suspension and had a debit of 3.5 million posted in her account last week.
Banking can be fun but quite risky.

eyaah!
banking is not fun, abeg. maybe you are in marketing.
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by ednut1(m): 7:23pm On Feb 26, 2015
Kzinne:
yes. branches wud bcom nonexistent soonin terms in staffin
dream on u hear.
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by Orlarmy(m): 8:46pm On Feb 26, 2015
Who is a Banker, and who is a Bank worker? It's a pity that people in banking industry cannot even differentiate the TERMS in the industry to which they belong. A Banker is the Bank itself
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by Bridgy450(f): 10:03pm On Feb 26, 2015
tolutweety:

Are these all ?? undecided

_Not convincing enough to dissuade me from taking up the managerial role in First Bank on Monday. undecided tongue
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by Moz22: 12:28am On Feb 27, 2015
I get u sir....bt em nt an outsourced staff
Ephemmm:

Friend, being an outsourced staff is different from being a real professional staff of a bank. As a Transaction Officer, Teller, Customer Service Officer, Secretaries, Security Officer etc you are an operational staff and there is likelihood that your Vendor take higher per cent of your salary.

You are not entitled to some benefits like - promotions, profit sharing and some allowances. I know of a GM that collect 30m as profit sharing for the year 2014 not to talk of his salary.

Get a job from Access Bank or Zenith as a professional staff and you will come here to testify to the authenticity of this claim.
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by bennieman: 3:46am On Feb 27, 2015
VenusBetty:
Stingy Bankers, I mean the guys.

Is it your money? Go and earn your own.
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by katchy82: 5:56am On Feb 27, 2015
It beats my imagination that people will take their time to make this type of analysis without proper investigation. I work n a bank and for all I care I think am enjoying my job.now lets look at it.
I leave my huz by 7.15 n d morning and by 5.30 I leave the office for my huz.still I know some business owners that close their shop by 6 pm so if I dnt hv time for my family and friends its a personal tin nt job related.the truth is that bank staff hv a wonderful social life.there is no job that does nt come with its own risk, even business pple do lose money n sell below cost price atimes it doesn't affect bank job. The truth is that every job comes with its own attendant risk.
So finally pple need 2 make enquiries before coming online 2 deceive pple with fake information.

4 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by Ephemmm: 7:21am On Feb 27, 2015
Moz22:
I get u sir....bt em nt an outsourced staff

Congratulations for not being an outsourced staff. This is because it is much easier if you have banking experience to cross to other banks in Nigeria.

Don't give up; tommorrow is bright. Submit your CVs at HR of banks like Zenith, GT, Access, First Bank etc.

Take the risk and believe in yourself: you can do it.
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by RAO1(m): 7:22am On Feb 27, 2015
D job is not for someone like me....all ur points + I'm gonna pray 5times daily... 2,4,7 and 8 a times.. haba!
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by RAO1(m): 7:23am On Feb 27, 2015
D job is not for someone like me....all ur points + I'm gonna pray 5times daily... (say) 2,4,7 and 8 a times.. haba!
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by Awaja(m): 8:04am On Feb 27, 2015
To me this sounds like reasons while i need a bank job i'll do for 3 years and resign.
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by ojeycombo(m): 11:50am On Feb 27, 2015
Ephemmm:

So on point...The guy that asked which bank pays a monthly 250k is not keeping abreast to developments in the banking sector. Banks are in a competitive era where they compete in terms of market capitals and salary structures. without mincing words, a typical A-list bank in Nigeria pays nothing less than N200k monthly with some crazy mouth-watering allowances. Trust me coz i exist in this profession. Banks pay well and you get to work your ass out. plz Ops, there is no job without those factors you enumerated, however in different degrees. But that does not mean you should discourage prospective lads on securing a mouth-watering bank job with its imminent impacting knowledge that can span you a lifetime opportunity. A manager level in my bank earns like 900k monthly (after the current restructuring). No money biko!!! work for a while and set up urself...gaskia!

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by Nobody: 11:32am On Feb 28, 2015
Someone should please help me answer this question. I am a graduate of finance and banking and currently working as a personal Assistant to the MD in a 3 star hotel. Banks usually ask fresh graduates to write an entry test because they lack experience, I want to ask. After working for 2 years in my current place of work(hotel) will i still write an entry test? What experience does the work of a Personal Assistant showcase in the banking world?
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by Nobody: 6:49am On Mar 04, 2015
bennieman:

Is it your money? Go and earn your own.
funny, I do have mine Jere but its just a trend amongst them.
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by Nobody: 6:57am On Mar 04, 2015
VenusBetty:
funny, I do have mine Jere but its just a trend amongst them.

I sent a pm to you.. Did you see it?
Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by Nobody: 7:38am On Mar 16, 2015
Hayjaycity:

I sent a pm to you.. Did you see it?
nope

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder by Nobody: 8:19am On Mar 16, 2015
VenusBetty:
nope

Really Something must be wrong with NL.. What condition must be fulfilled before being able to send a message to a fellow Nairalander.. I tried it again though

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back / My Discovery About Private Schools / House Help Caught With Charms 3 Days After Resuming Work In Lagos (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.