Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,429 members, 7,888,328 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 03:26 AM

Plug Adapter - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Plug Adapter (1583 Views)

Common Spark Plug Conditions / Nissan Primera P10 Over-heating And Number 1 Plug Not Working / Iridium Or Platinum Spark Plug For Mazda 323f Glx 2.0i V6 Dohc Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Plug Adapter by Nobody: 11:22am On Feb 26, 2015
Since all my years of driving, my mechanic come with an item, he called plug adapter, that this prolongs shell life of plugs.
Does it? who have ever used it?
Re: Plug Adapter by Nobody: 12:36pm On Feb 26, 2015
They're threaded spacers that screw into the spark plug holes, then the spark plugs are then screwed to the spacers.

The idea is in a worn engine that's burning oil due to worn piston rings, the spacer keeps the plug electrodes free of oil. The actual name is "spark plug defouler".

I don't recommend them. The manufacturer of the engine specify the spark plug electrodes a certain distance from the piston, to achieve as close to complete combustion as possible. Using defoulers alters the burn, and they MAY prolong the life of the spark plugs as far as oil contamination goes in a worn engine, it won't help with gas mileage.

The correct thing to do is get the engine rebuilt, or replaced. Using spark plug defoulers is a false economy, (think of all the oil and gas you'll have to buy). And merely masks an inherent problem. Treat the cause, not the symptom.

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

I Need These Spares For Toyota / Which One Should I Go For A 2003 Camry Or A 2003 Accord / Kia Rio Vs Toyota

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.