Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,568 members, 7,972,137 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 02:34 AM

Nigerian Banks Lose 24.5% Of Market Value - Investment (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Nigerian Banks Lose 24.5% Of Market Value (11724 Views)

Whats The Current Fixed Deposit Interest Rate For Nigerian Banks / MMM Participants Lose Patience, Attack Each Other, Guiders / I Need 5% Monthly Return On Investment. Anybody With Genuine Company Or Info? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Banks Lose 24.5% Of Market Value by nextstep(m): 2:34pm On Mar 02, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Nigeria earns most of its revenue from oil. And our GDP is still low...especially when you calculate the percapita GDP!

Taxes? That most Nigerians do not pay?

We are still heavily importing food. And we still import 40% of our refined petroleum...BECAUSE....our refineries are NOT producing at full capacity.
Plus....guess where we get the machines needed to manufacture cement...and other products in this country. That's right...from abroad

we are not the agric power we once were. In 1970....we were a global leader in cotton, groundnut, palm oil and cocoa export.

What exports? Oil is still 80% of our exports...and now it is no longer profitable.

How does that help those at home? And when we are producing 3500mw of electricity(9000 less than what we need)..

Nigeria needs to get off oil . That is the solution...

All valid points. However there are many signs to remain optimistic:

- oil is a small part of the overall economy
- machinery will get more expensive, but the returns on investment is so much higher
- private refineries are coming onstream over the next 2-3 years
- at least one major company - psc solar uk - is building a huge plant in ikeja - it has now become cheaper for them to build,and this is true for many others. There are tons of solar distributors springing up
- transport cost will rise slower than inflation
- food productivity is rising - from improved fertilizer distribution to year round farming in the north, to massive investments in rice and cassava production, to tomato canning, to increased silo storage capacities nationwide, there is a lot momentum in agriculture
- private power generation and distribution is coming onstream
- govt agencies are getting better at fee and tax collection, especially at the corporate level
- foreign backed nigerian startups will be able to hire more people with the fall in naira
- local content law will encourage those with resources abroad to invest more
- Nigerian stocks are really good buys for Nigerians abroad with long term thinking
- Nigerians abroad can buy cement and blocks cheaper if they move quickly - how won't this help the contractors and laborers they hire? How won't this spur the economy?

In short, these are the best times to invest in Nigeria.

All these will directly impact nigerians at home. Like any large system, adjustments don't produce results right away, but its undeniable that the dials are being set in the correct ways... just wait and see 3-5 years from now. The sleeping giant of Africa is finally waking up

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Banks Lose 24.5% Of Market Value by steppin: 2:35pm On Mar 02, 2015
tsdarkside:

Fixed!!! grin grin grin cool cool cool
Ganjaweed witches!
Re: Nigerian Banks Lose 24.5% Of Market Value by fanex: 2:35pm On Mar 02, 2015
stop being kind to them please. they grossly incompetent and rude.
ozor1:
Typical Nigeria,nobody cares.our currency no longer has value. Sentiments aside,the whole gej led economy team is weak
Re: Nigerian Banks Lose 24.5% Of Market Value by yomi007k(m): 2:41pm On Mar 02, 2015
kennygee:
Our Economy has crashed, we are not saying or doing anything about it.

Instead na GEJ till 2019 and Sai Buhari pple dey talk.

People be playing with hunger.
Ur smart. May I marry ur type.
Re: Nigerian Banks Lose 24.5% Of Market Value by essekay(m): 2:43pm On Mar 02, 2015
Its part of Transformation agenda of Gej...
Re: Nigerian Banks Lose 24.5% Of Market Value by ceejayluv(m): 2:54pm On Mar 02, 2015
bushdoc9919:

No we won't. Especially with the era of oil prices being above $100 at an end.

Mr SAP is back again....and he is here for a very looooong stay.

In the middle of
the financial crisis of 2007–2008 , the
price of oil underwent a significant
decrease after the record peak of US$
145 it reached in July 2008. On
December 23, 2008, WTI crude oil spot
price fell to US$30.28 a barrel, the
lowest since the financial crisis of
2007–2010 began. The price sharply
rebounded after the crisis and rose to
US$82 a barrel in 2009.[4] On 31
January 2011, the Brent price hit $100
a barrel for the first time since
October 2008, on concerns about the
political unrest in Egypt . [5]

Don't let pessimism cloud your judgement....

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_of_oil
Re: Nigerian Banks Lose 24.5% Of Market Value by soleexx(m): 2:55pm On Mar 02, 2015
As Qpr loses
Re: Nigerian Banks Lose 24.5% Of Market Value by ceejayluv(m): 2:58pm On Mar 02, 2015
nextstep:

- machinery will get more expensive, but the returns on investment is so much higher
- at least one major company - psc solar uk - is building a huge plant in ikeja - it has now become cheaper for them to build,and this is true for many others. There are tons of solar distributors springing up
- food productivity is rising - from improved fertilizer distribution to year round farming in the north, to massive investments in rice and cassava production, to tomato canning, to increased silo storage capacities nationwide, there is a lot momentum in agriculture
- govt agencies are getting better at fee and tax collection, especially at the corporate level
- foreign backed nigerian startups will be able to hire more people with the fall in naira
- Nigerian stocks are really good buys for Nigerians abroad with long term thinking
- Nigerians abroad can buy cement and blocks cheaper if they move quickly - how won't this help the contractors and laborers they hire? How won't this spur the economy?

All these will directly impact nigerians at home. Like any large system, adjustments don't produce results right away, but its undeniable that the dials are being set in the correct ways... just wait and see 3-5 years from now. The sleeping giant of Africa is finally waking up
A thunderous ovation for you....
Re: Nigerian Banks Lose 24.5% Of Market Value by Nobody: 3:07pm On Mar 02, 2015
englishmart:
I don't care..... Provided my account isn't affected

What's ur account worth wen ur bank is failing...

Please rate ur brain on a scale of 1 to 10. sad

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Banks Lose 24.5% Of Market Value by Nobody: 3:16pm On Mar 02, 2015
Dragonking:
We dont care if all the banks lose everything. what we know is GEJ till 2019!!!!!

Sai GEJ. cool

englishmart:

Not only the banks... We are all impacted.
Everyone with savings, cash deposit and low-yield investment have lost 25% (a quarter) of it's monetary value.
So, if you have N40 million savings in banks it is currently worth only N30 million in purchasing power.

The only people with a little saving grace are the commodity trader who can easily factor this inflation into their stock and reposition their asset.
It is double tragedy and the odd is stacked more against the fixed income earner (e.g. salary earner, pensioner etc.) as this reality will be factored into business cost; as the price of goods and services (even rents) will rises
Tough time indeed!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Banks Lose 24.5% Of Market Value by 989900: 3:25pm On Mar 02, 2015
JonBee1:

Not only the banks only... We are all impacted.
Everyone with savings, cash deposit and low-yield investment have lost 25% (a quarter) of it's monetary value.
So, if you have N40 million savings in banks it is currently worth only N30 million in purchasing power.

The only people with a little saving grace are the commodity trader who can easily factor this inflation into their stock and reposition their asset.
It is double tragedy and the odd is stacked more against the fixed income earner (e.g. salary earner, pensioner etc.) as this reality will be factored into business cost; as the price of goods and services (even rents) will rises
Tough time indeed!

The painful part.

A friend wanted me to get him a car @ $15-$16,000, which was roughly N2.5m mid last year, after savings and loan . . . poor boy (what has he done wrong . . . all in 6-8months), now he needs about N3.3m to buy same car (minus shipping) . . . talk about 'pour cold water for my body'.
Re: Nigerian Banks Lose 24.5% Of Market Value by Nobody: 3:44pm On Mar 02, 2015
chidinwachukwu:

Must u always comment on every topic?,even when u are a dullard on the field were it's written from?.So it's Jonathan that decreased the crude oil price that is affecting our currency?,or is it goodluck that made our economy, to be based on crude oil alone?.when you fail ur Secondary school exam,u will say it's jonathan.Grow up and stop showcasing ur naivity here.

I marvel at the level of ignorance of folks like you. worst part is you were actually trying to showcase 'intelligence'. What a pity.

Incase you are unaware or have chosen to remain dumb, gej is the 'current' president of the country and with him lies the mantle to diversify the economy, not the poster you quoted. 5+ years is more than enough time to improve on other sectors in the country especially considering the persistently high prices of crude during most of jonathan's tenure.

The fault for the economic slump that we r currently experiencing lies completely with gej and his corrupt cohorts as well as gullible followers like yourself.

Moral of My Post: Use your head before typing, ur brain is there for a reason.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Banks Lose 24.5% Of Market Value by synergycom19: 4:25pm On Mar 02, 2015
Repent for greater hunger cometh,all the Lies of GEJ Administration most educated economic team being practically exposed by reality.
It's not be PHD certificates ooo,by ability to applied acquired knowledge with Wisdom from above
Re: Nigerian Banks Lose 24.5% Of Market Value by ozor1: 4:30pm On Mar 02, 2015
chidinwachukwu:

Must u always comment on every topic?,even when u are a dullard on the field were it's written from?.So it's Jonathan that decreased the crude oil price that is affecting our currency?,or is it goodluck that made our economy, to be based on crude oil alone?.when you fail ur Secondary school exam,u will say it's jonathan.Grow up and stop showcasing ur naivity here.
I cannot exchange words with you,you are still a kid
Re: Nigerian Banks Lose 24.5% Of Market Value by lekzitakins: 5:17pm On Mar 02, 2015
You are a selfish entity...shm.

englishmart:

Re: Nigerian Banks Lose 24.5% Of Market Value by mikolo80: 6:16pm On Mar 02, 2015
kennygee:
Our Economy has crashed, we are not saying or doing anything about it.

Instead na GEJ till 2019 and Sai Buhari pple dey talk.

People be playing with hunger.
what economy?
Re: Nigerian Banks Lose 24.5% Of Market Value by kaboninc(m): 6:26pm On Mar 02, 2015
nextstep:

With your write up, I feel relaxed to comment. You've just said what's exactly on my mind. I for one like to see opportunities in the face of adversity.

So if anyone has money, go to the Nigerian Stock Exchange, mop up Nigerian Breweries and Guaranty Trust Bank. Thank me later.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Banks Lose 24.5% Of Market Value by popson1(m): 6:54pm On Mar 02, 2015
Dragonking:
We dont care if all the banks lose everything. what we know is GEJ till 2019!!!!!

Sai GEJ. cool
And some woman gave birth to this slowpoke! Pathetic!!!
Re: Nigerian Banks Lose 24.5% Of Market Value by stevecantrell: 12:30am On Mar 03, 2015
jayfolarin:

I marvel at the level of ignorance of folks like you. worst part is you were actually trying to showcase 'intelligence'. What a pity.

Incase you are unaware or have chosen to remain dumb, gej is the 'current' president of the country and with him lies the mantle to diversify the economy, not the poster you quoted. 5+ years is more than enough time to improve on other sectors in the country especially considering the persistently high prices of crude during most of jonathan's tenure.

The fault for the economic slump that we r currently experiencing lies completely with gej and his corrupt cohorts as well as gullible followers like yourself.

Moral of My Post: Use your head before typing, ur brain is there for a reason.

You know sometimes I wonder these GEJ2019 people ever had jobs, families, children, bank accounts, properties, investments, responsibilities, goals aspirations to begin with...maybe they don't live in Nigeria.
You'd have to be to crazy to have any of the above and be asking for more of this govt.

They sound like people with nothing at all. Like the woman who told King Solomon to cut the baby in half to spite the real mother, that's who they remind me of.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Banks Lose 24.5% Of Market Value by tosin481: 5:04pm On Mar 03, 2015
learn the novice to guru of importation. How to start importing from china, us, uk as low as N5000 and make up to N200,000 monthly. Its real and reliable, all risk free. What i have packaged have never been exposed by experts. Visit www.profitassured./importation for my free report details
Re: Nigerian Banks Lose 24.5% Of Market Value by Nobody: 2:41pm On Mar 07, 2015
JonBee1:

Not only the banks... We are all impacted.

Tough time indeed!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Architectural Design Of 4 Units Of 1 Bedroom Flat...half Plot / What Kind Of Company Can I Start With 30million Naira / LADOL & Samsung Invest $400m In Vessel Fabrication, Integration Yard In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.