Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,134 members, 7,883,947 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 07:30 PM

I Need Advice Concerning My Present Abode - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / I Need Advice Concerning My Present Abode (1016 Views)

Brooksville Courts....an Abode Of Joy / Santos Layout AKOWONJO, Abode Of House Letting Fraudsters / An Abode Of Exceptional Graphic Design (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Advice Concerning My Present Abode by poppied: 7:46pm On Mar 02, 2015
Re: I Need Advice Concerning My Present Abode by resocorp: 8:44pm On Mar 02, 2015
Find somewhere to perch
Re: I Need Advice Concerning My Present Abode by sam13(m): 9:32pm On Mar 02, 2015
As a yearly tenant you have a right under the Lagos state law to be allow for six months quit notice and if he refuse this get a lawyer to help you some lanlord/landlady is a devil
Re: I Need Advice Concerning My Present Abode by poppied: 9:37pm On Mar 02, 2015
sam13:
As a yearly tenant you have a right under the Lagos state law to be allow for six months quit notice and if he refuse this get a lawyer to help you some lanlord/landlady is a devil
The unfortunate thing about it is that it isn't in lagos state, It is somewhere in south south.
Re: I Need Advice Concerning My Present Abode by sam13(m): 10:26pm On Mar 02, 2015
poppied:

The unfortunate thing about it is that it isn't in lagos state, It is somewhere in south south.

Sorry i dont know if any kind of law exist in South South so just get a lawyer for help
Re: I Need Advice Concerning My Present Abode by poppied: 9:26am On Mar 03, 2015
Please Nairalanders, I need more contributions from those who are familiar with this part of the country.
Re: I Need Advice Concerning My Present Abode by Lavidah: 10:25am On Mar 03, 2015
Permit me to comment @op.
Food for thought...
1. Why did you not approach the owner of the property to brief him of the situation first, rather than wait until he comes to notify you of your rent renewal with just a few days left to the expiration, before all the stories?
A stitch in time saves nine.

2. Do you realize that the rent from the said property could be a crucial source of income to the owner upon which he depends, just as that job is a crucial source of income you also depend on, and which you don't even mind relocating for just to keep it.

3. I need you to honestly place yourself in the owner's position, and tell me you don't see a ''dishonest, witty and probally stubborn'' tenant in you.
Sorry sir, this is not in any way an attempt to cast aspersions, but just viewing the situation from the other end.

Doing things the right way, will help save us the legal fees paid to lawyers.

Agreed, some landlords are just as silly as some tenants are.
Just my imperfect thoughts!

1 Like

Re: I Need Advice Concerning My Present Abode by poppied: 10:53am On Mar 03, 2015
Lavidah:
Permit me to comment @op.
Food for thought...
1. Why did you not approach the owner of the property to brief him of the situation first, rather than wait until he comes to notify you of your rent renewal with just a few days left to the expiration, before the stories?

2. Do you realize that the rent from the said property could be a crucial source of income to the owner upon which he depends, just as that job is a crucial source of income you also depend on, and which you don't even mind relocating for just to keep it.

3. I need you to honestly place yourself in the owner's position, and tell me you don't see a ''dishonest, witty and probally stubborn'' tenant in you.
Sorry sir, this is not in any way an attempt to cast aspersions, but just viewing the situation from the other end.
Doing things the right way, will help save us the legal fees paid to lawyers.

Agreed, some landlords are just as silly as some tenants are.
Just my imperfect thoughts!

I deliberately wanted to be sure of when I will vacate the apartment before approaching him to avoid situations like this. Furthermore, I was never dishonest with him and for your info am a very discreet person and if not for the fact that my rent expired towards that period, I wouldn't have told him the actual what's up (transfer).
Lastly, I was informed of my transfer late dec and he approached me in d 1st week in Jan, so it wasn't as if the time lag was much. Thanks for your contribution sir

1 Like

Re: I Need Advice Concerning My Present Abode by olive2015: 5:55pm On Mar 03, 2015
@op

In fairness to the landlord you need to be willing to compromise. I will advise you pay for four more months. that will give you ample time to move to your new destination once the branch is ready and it will also give you some time to accommodate any further extension. If the branch setup is completed on schedule, then you take that as a loss. However, I am sure your company will compensate you for relocation. But in all it will be unfair to pay the landlord in piecemeal as per your schedule.

All the best.

1 Like

Re: I Need Advice Concerning My Present Abode by poppied: 8:33pm On Mar 04, 2015
Now I have met with him this evening and he is still hell bent on me paying him 1 year full rent or vacate the apartment by weekend (Coz the rent expires on the 8th) which I know it's not possible. And sincerely am also trying my best to be as plain n clean as I can be here buh this dude ain't forthcoming, Imagine him asking me to leave the house within days like say na goat him dey chase and that has prompted me to go through the agreement form he gave to me when I moved in which has a part stating that "Any party that wishes to determine the tenancy relationship hereby created shall give three months written notice to the other party".
I agree it's his property buh there are some things I believe that shouldn't be @ all, More so the both of us as lettered fellows. Thanks y'all
Re: I Need Advice Concerning My Present Abode by keziah123: 11:19pm On Mar 04, 2015
Like the other poster said, put urself in his shoes. Is there any guarantee that you will move for sure in three months? Will u prefer ur salary to be paid daily? If you answer yes to both questions then u are right to demand such.

(1) (Reply)

Rent Affordable SelFcons, Flats & Bungalows In Awka / Portacabin / Office Container Cabin / Lekki Roads Flood After Heavy Downpour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.