Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,591 members, 7,944,768 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 01:31 AM

What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? (4896 Views)

Our Colonial Masters Used Religion To Enslaves Us / What Are The Benefits Of Believing In God Or Religion To Nigeria? / Islam Is GOD Almighty's Original Religion To All Of Mankind (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by Sheenor: 6:11pm On Mar 06, 2015
davien:
Again,the case of its existence has not been demonstrated nor evidential...so you can't draw tentative conclusions about "greatness", you can only set up a special bar(in your case,being unquestionable) for the character you believe in to sit on.

The complexity of our planet points to a deliberate Designer who not only created our universe, but sustains it today.

Many examples showing God's design could be
given, possibly with no end. But here are a few:

The Earth
, Water, Rock, Mountain, Animals Human being and other creations of his.

We know God exists because he pursues us. He is constantly initiating and seeking for us to come to him.
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by johnydon22(m): 6:20pm On Mar 06, 2015
Sheenor:

Yaweh, Jehovah, Allah english name of the aforementioned is God. So i believe in God.

Nope God is a name given to all...

Yahweh is an iron age isreali deity... Jehovah is the english name when you translates the latin word for yahweh "ieovah" to english... YHWH means "I am"

Allah is an arabic name for God, The word has cognates in other Semitic languages , including Elah in
Aramaic, ʾĒl in Canaanite and Elohim in Hebrew . . .

So any deity can bear the distinction Allah or God...

Which of the God do you believe in Yahweh, Zeus, Osiris, Thor, Odin, Horus, Krishna?
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by tartar9(m): 6:20pm On Mar 06, 2015
Sheenor:

How can Islam be the first when we all know how it start
Islam is derived from the Arabic root "Salema":
peace, purity, submission and obedience. In the
religious sense, Islam means submission to the
will of God and obedience to His law.
Everything and every phenomenon in the world
other than man is administered totally by God-
made laws, ie. they are obedient to God and
submissive to his laws, they are in the State of
Islam. Man possesses the qualities of intelligence
and choice, thus he is invited to submit to the
good will of God and obey His law, ie, become a
Muslim.
Submission to the good will of God, together with
obedience to His beneficial Law, ie, becoming a
Muslim, is the best safeguard for man's peace
and harmony.
Islam dates back to the age of Adam and its
message has been conveyed to man by God's
prophets and messengers, including Abrahim,
Moses, Jesus and Muhammad(SAW)
Islam's message has been restored and enforced
in the last stage of the religious evolution by
God's last prophet and messenger, Muhammad(SAW)
The word Allah in the Arabic language means
God, or more accurately, The One and Only
Eternal God, Creator of the Universe, Lord of all
lords, King of all kings, Most Compassionate,
Most Merciful."So set your whole being upon the Religion (of
Islam) as one of pure faith (free from unbelief,
polytheism, and hypocrisy). This is the original
pattern belonging to God on which He has
originated humankind. No change can there be in
God’s creation. This is the upright, ever-true
Religion, but most of the people do not know"(Qur'an 30:30)
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Mar 06, 2015
Sheenor I think google will provide better sources on the origin of Islam. This dude doesn't know what he's talking about. Islam originated in the 7th century with Mohammed out of Judaism and some pagan religions from that time.

tartar9:

Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by tartar9(m): 6:37pm On Mar 06, 2015
DProDG:
Sheenor I think google will provide better sources on the origin of Islam. This dude doesn't know what he's talking about. Islam originated in the 7th century with Mohammed out of Judaism and some pagan religions from that time.

did you even read what I posted :-/
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by macof(m): 6:37pm On Mar 06, 2015
Sheenor:

Yaweh, Jehovah, Allah english name of the aforementioned is God. So i believe in God.

How mistaken u are by the society you live in

Yahweh, Jehovah, Allah are all different gods
God is 1. a title that applies to anything worshipped, 2. a concept used to explain something complex. not a personal name
There are millions of Gods out there
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by Nobody: 6:45pm On Mar 06, 2015
tartar9:
did you even read what I posted :-/

Yes I did. It's pure semantics and word games. Because the word Islam translates to peace/purity/obedience does not mean that's what it is. We're referring to the RELIGION here and not what it signifies.
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by Sheenor: 6:55pm On Mar 06, 2015
johnydon22:

Yahweh is an iron age isreali deity... Jehovah is the english name when you translates the latin word for yahweh "ieovah" to english... YHWH means "I am"

Allah is an arabic name for God, The word has cognates in other Semitic languages , including Elah in

Which of the God do you believe in Yahweh, Zeus, Osiris, Thor, Odin, Horus, Krishna?

What name do you call the creator of heaven and earth? and every other thing in between
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by johnydon22(m): 7:02pm On Mar 06, 2015
Sheenor:

What name do you call the creator of heaven and earth? and every other thing in between

As long as i am concerned their is no such entity ... So take your pick in the list of God(s) which are you referring to?
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by macof(m): 7:24pm On Mar 06, 2015
johnydon22:

The concept of God is a thing encompassed in the dimension of faith which itself is unreasonable.. cus people can have faith that a pink unicorn exists and it will in their mind.

Things that can be proven are things are things that can be termed materialistic.
This concept of God as portrayed by different religions is immaterial and therefore can not be proven.

Something that cannot be proven cannot be unproven either. . . if i claim i have a flying unicorn diamond horn, You will find it implausible but yet cannot prove that i don't even when you know i don't.

I on other hand have no proof that i have a flying unicorn but i believe it by faith.

Am not sure that the concept of God can be unproven since it's just a product of wild human imagination. .

Oh but u are wrong. have u ever studied ancient civilizations and their relationship with the nature of the universe?
Pls tell us how they lived with each other, with animals and how they practised medicine, used tools for war and domestic purposes, how they predicted the weather, sailed through rivers and seas
Do this and you will realize the God concept admittedly is a use of imagination but is a surface cover to the deeper things.
a device used to explain the various aspects of nature, call it personification, allegory, symbolism you are on track
All parts of the ancient world saw this as the best way to teach the young about the natural world and the expansive universe
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by Sheenor: 7:34pm On Mar 06, 2015
johnydon22:

As long as i am concerned their is no such entity ... So take your pick in the list of God(s) which are you referring to?

Oh! now i see.. No matter how hard i try to make you understand, you won't just get it. Well am referring to omnipotent and everlasting God, the one and only, the beginning and end, the one who creates us and places us on the planet earth, the King who is royal forever, unchanging God, The creator, who never forgets his creation
. Zeus, Osiris, Thor, Odin, Horus, Krishna are self acclaim god, the truth is where are they today
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by macof(m): 7:43pm On Mar 06, 2015
johnydon22:

I have not mentioned i believe in big bang theory, i simply say "I do not know".. That we do not know how something came to be doesnt mean we should come up with an archaic concept or primitive explanation that a deity did it.

Is it not a more noble thing to find out how these things came to be through careful study and scrutnization of available datas. than to kill our intellectual curiosity by just saying a deity did it?

The concept of God(s) is unproven and contradictory...
It was just a human idea to explain things that seemed complex to the men of then.

Ancient men believed the gods had a store room for rain and snow somewhere in the sky(book of job) cus they couldn't explain how these things happen so they just come up with god did it but now we know better than these things are all part of water circle and no store room is involved neither is any deity involved..

in terms of big bang THEORY let me define to you what theory is

(science) A coherent statement or set of ideas that explains [size=20]observed facts or phenomena[/size], or which sets out the laws and principles of something known or observed;[size=20] a hypothesis confirmed by observation, experiment[/size]
etc.

its left for you to decide what you want.. Big bang is still under study and can improve as more facts and observations are made...

But for me personally i do not claim to know how the world started cus i opened my eyes and saw the world, i wasn't there before the world.. so how am i supposed to possess such knowledge...

sometimes you need to look deep into things
Like I always say God is a concept used to explain different aspects of nature ranging from desires - geography, cosmology - biology and many more
A pity you have only been exposed to this religious and dogmatic use of the word by Christians forgetting it's original purpose right from the Greek language

Ancients didn't use God to say wat they didn't understand, they used demons for that...they used the God concept to explain wat they studied...similar to scientific theories
Note that the words Theory and Theos(Greek for God) has roots in Theoreo[to observe/to wonder)

So Gods were created from the creative mind of man after thorough and careful observation of the natural world

admittedly the system had flaws(jst like everything even in modern science) because some generations (similar to this one with people like u) might begin to make jokes of it due to their lack of knowledge and subsequent distortions follows, despite this one can only appreciate the system employed by the ancients

It's absurd for anyone to condemn the God concept when they have not even studied it
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by johnydon22(m): 7:51pm On Mar 06, 2015
Sheenor:

Oh! now i see.. No matter how hard i try to make you understand, you won't just get it. Well am referring to omnipotent and everlasting God, the one and only, the beginning and end, the one who creates us and places us on the planet earth, the King who is royal forever, unchanging God, The creator, who never forgets his creation
. Zeus, Osiris, Thor, Odin, Horus, Krishna are self acclaim god, the truth is where are they today
First i have no idea what you mean by self acclaimed ..

Thor, odin are still worshipped by vikings till today

Krishna is still worshipped by hindus till today as the Creator

Ancient egyptians worshipped osiris and horus and most pegans there still do.

Now all of these gods also claim omnipotency and everlasting.. the beginning and the end.

Now can you tell me which God in particular is this your God that is not self acclaimed?

Or should i put it this way; Where did you derive this your God concept (Unproven as it is)
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by macof(m): 7:57pm On Mar 06, 2015
Sheenor:

Zeus, Osiris, Thor, Odin, Horus, Krishna are far older deities than ur Jehovah who is less than 2000yrs so Jehovah must be top on the imposter list more so that he needs u to claim for him, at least the other Gods mentioned are self acclaimed grin

But pls where's ur god today?

1 Like

Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by JigsawKillah(m): 8:56pm On Mar 06, 2015
macof:

Zeus, Osiris, Thor, Odin, Horus, Krishna are far older deities than ur Jehovah who is less than 2000yrs so Jehovah must be top on the imposter list more so that he needs u to claim for him, at least the other Gods mentioned are self acclaimed grin

But pls where's ur god today?

less than 2000yrs?
and has been existing before the days of Noah?
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by JigsawKillah(m): 9:00pm On Mar 06, 2015
Sheenor:

funny I debated part of this same topic today, the little relevance in this debate you'd earned,you blew it away with this comment I'd quoted. now know that just as we worship Yahweh, others worship Krishna, Horus and other gods. even the some yorubas worship sango till this day.
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by macof(m): 10:02pm On Mar 06, 2015
JigsawKillah:

less than 2000yrs?

We don't know what god Noah devoted to. the muslims claim it was Allah, u claim Jehovah

but wats for sure is that h Jehovah is an European creation from the scraps of Yahweh
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by johnydon22(m): 10:13pm On Mar 06, 2015
JigsawKillah:

less than 2000yrs?

And the noah myth is just another plagiarism of the ancient mesopetamian myth of gilgemesh... The mesopetamian flood myth predates that of noah by thousands of years.

And in that story it was the God Ea that told gilgemesh to build a boat, it was copied by the jews making a character noah the hero, in hindu mythology is was Vishnu that was the hero... So get ur facts straight..
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by JigsawKillah(m): 11:31pm On Mar 06, 2015
johnydon22:

And the noah myth is just another plagiarism of the ancient mesopetamian myth of gilgemesh... The mesopetamian flood myth predates that of noah by thousands of years.

And in that story it was the God Ea that told gilgemesh to build a boat, it was copied by the jews making a character noah the hero, in hindu mythology is was Vishnu that was the hero... So get ur facts straight..

so in essence, according to you, Noah never existed?
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by JigsawKillah(m): 11:34pm On Mar 06, 2015
macof:

We don't know what god Noah devoted to. the muslims claim it was Allah, u claim Jehovah

but wats for sure is that h Jehovah is an European creation from the scraps of Yahweh

Jehovah is a European creation?
are you kidding me?
Jehovah is Yahweh and still is
what scraps are you talking about? are you saying Yahweh is forgotten?
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by johnydon22(m): 12:13am On Mar 07, 2015
JigsawKillah:

so in essence, according to you, Noah never existed?

Ofcus noah is a mythical character. . . .
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by JigsawKillah(m): 12:19am On Mar 07, 2015
johnydon22:

Ofcus noah is a mythical character. . . .

we shouldn't even be arguing these things
our beliefs might differ and there's no proof of anything. let's leave it at that
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by johnydon22(m): 12:50am On Mar 07, 2015
JigsawKillah:

we shouldn't even be arguing these things
our beliefs might differ and there's no proof of anything. let's leave it at that

No their is enough proof... lets see what wikipedia says

The Genesis flood narrative is one of several similar flood myths. The
earliest known written flood myth is the Sumerian flood myth found in the
Epic of Ziusudra . [2] Later and very similar Mesopotamian flood stories
appear in the Epic of Atrahasis and Epic of Gilgamesh texts. Many scholars
believe that Noah and the biblical flood-story derive from the
Mesopotamian versions, predominantly because biblical mythology that is
today found in Judaism, Christianity, Islam, and Mandeanism shares
overlapping consistency with far older written Mesopotamian stories of the
Great Flood , and because the early Hebrews were known to have lived in
Mesopotamia, [13] particularly during the Babylonian captivity .

Jews believe abraham came from the land of Ur in Mesopotamia, so most of mesopotamian fables are reworked into jewish fables...

Below is a picture i took from the New Community Bible for you... Notice the circled part, its from the explanations the community bible gives below each Bible stories..

Now continue by googling Flood myths and see more for yourself grin

Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by JigsawKillah(m): 7:37am On Mar 07, 2015
johnydon22:

No their is enough proof... lets see what wikipedia says

The Genesis flood narrative is one of several similar flood myths. The
earliest known written flood myth is the Sumerian flood myth found in the
Epic of Ziusudra . [2] Later and very similar Mesopotamian flood stories
appear in the Epic of Atrahasis and Epic of Gilgamesh texts. Many scholars
believe that Noah and the biblical flood-story derive from the
Mesopotamian versions, predominantly because biblical mythology that is
today found in Judaism, Christianity, Islam, and Mandeanism shares
overlapping consistency with far older written Mesopotamian stories of the
Great Flood , and because the early Hebrews were known to have lived in
Mesopotamia, [13] particularly during the Babylonian captivity .

Jews believe abraham came from the land of Ur in Mesopotamia, so most of mesopotamian fables are reworked into jewish fables...

Below is a picture i took from the New Community Bible for you... Notice the circled part, its from the explanations the community bible gives below each Bible stories..

Now continue by googling Flood myths and see more for yourself grin

the fact that the Mesopotamian fables corresponds with what is written in the bible means something. so if according to u, Noah doesn't exist, doesn't Abraham do too?
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by Nobody: 11:22am On Mar 07, 2015
You guys read the bible as if it's a historical document. I'm not saying you shouldn't read it though, but just remember, it's not history. You might decide to insist its accounts are real, no one is gonna argue with you on that(I for one an pretty tired of stating the obvious), but just refer to them as 'biblical' and keep it away from actual history.
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by johnydon22(m): 11:59am On Mar 07, 2015
JigsawKillah:

the fact that the Mesopotamian fables corresponds with what is written in the bible means something. so if according to u, Noah doesn't exist, doesn't Abraham do too?

Jewish myth is jewish myth...

Moreover i bid to go pay mind to your own (african) mythology and leave the jews to theirs...

Africans lost their identity when they decided to carry other people's mythology on their head and forget theirs because some white men in white came and told them...

Am done stating the obvious to you anymore... If you cannot distinguish between mythical fables and real historical facts (supported by acheaological evidences ) then no need.

Btw let me go and read about my own Igbo Odinala (makes more sense to me as an african and an igbosmiley) not some jewish concorted fables in babylon that has nothing to do with me as an african an an igbo...

1 Like

Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Mar 07, 2015
johnydon22:

I quite appreciate your level of knowledge. but to claim that God is a general name is wrong. if you have a knowledge of philosophy of religion, you will find out that deities are not the bone of contention but GOD. philosophers are religionists are all concerned about the existence of a Supreme being. the other names you mentioned are otherwise known as deities or 'gods' and not God
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by Nobody: 12:10pm On Mar 07, 2015
DProDG:
You guys read the bible as if it's a historical document. I'm not saying you shouldn't read it though, but just remember, it's not history. You might decide to insist its accounts are real, no one is gonna argue with you on that(I for one an pretty tired of stating the obvious), but just refer to them as 'biblical' and keep it away from actual history.

I disagree with you. Biblical stories are not myths but true historical stories. archeology has helped to prove that some of the stories in the Bible actually happened.
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by Nobody: 12:37pm On Mar 07, 2015
chiobysyk:

I disagree with you. Biblical stories are not myths but true historical stories. archeology has helped to prove that some of the stories in the Bible actually happened.

Yes, a few might* have happened(can't name any right now) but that doesn't make it a historical document in anyway. If you're really interested in finding out why, I suggest you do some research on the authorship of the bible.

Most biblical stories as said previously were borrowed from other cultures and religions. It doesn't show correlation, but rather plagiarism. Others were plainly made up whether you accept it or not. Stories like Noahs flood, enslavement of the Hebrews by Egyptians, wars, destruction of cities...etc

Again, I'm not telling you what to or what not to believe, just keep it as that, faith, till there's evidence to back it up.
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by johnydon22(m): 1:20pm On Mar 07, 2015
chiobysyk:

I quite appreciate your level of knowledge. but to claim that God is a general name is wrong. if you have a knowledge of philosophy of religion, you will find out that deities are not the bone of contention but GOD. philosophers are religionists are all concerned about the existence of a Supreme being. the other names you mentioned are otherwise known as deities or 'gods' and not God

It is you who fail to acknowledge the fact.. God is a distinction they all share.

The viking supreme God is Odin

The jewish supreme God is Yahweh

The Hindu supreme God is Krishna

The greek supreme God is Zeus...

These deities are all regarded as the supreme God and creator of the universe from all their respective religions and cultures..

So take your pick... which is real?

1 Like

Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by mustang44: 1:35pm On Mar 07, 2015
tartar9:
ISLAM
Islam ke! Where did you get this fact from? From your imam or what? Islam started with muhamad in the 7th century. Before i forgot, dont come back here and lie to us that Adam and all the other prophets in the bible were all muslims.
Re: What Was The First Ever Religion To Be Created/practiced In The World? by mustang44: 1:47pm On Mar 07, 2015
tartar9:
Islam is derived from the Arabic root "Salema":
peace, purity, submission and obedience. In the
religious sense, Islam means submission to the
will of God and obedience to His law.
Everything and every phenomenon in the world
other than man is administered totally by God-
made laws, ie. they are obedient to God and
submissive to his laws, they are in the State of
Islam. Man possesses the qualities of intelligence
and choice, thus he is invited to submit to the
good will of God and obey His law, ie, become a
Muslim.
Submission to the good will of God, together with
obedience to His beneficial Law, ie, becoming a
Muslim, is the best safeguard for man's peace
and harmony.
The word Allah in the Arabic language means
God, or more accurately, The One and Only
Eternal God, Creator of the Universe, Lord of all
lords, King of all kings, Most Compassionate,
Most Merciful."So set your whole being upon the Religion (of
Islam) as one of pure faith (free from unbelief,
polytheism, and hypocrisy). This is the original
pattern belonging to God on which He has
originated humankind. No change can there be in
God’s creation. This is the upright, ever-true
Religion, but most of the people do not know"(Qur'an 30:30)
Did the other prophets apart from the islamic prophet called muhammad say they were muslims? Did they pray five times a day? Did they use their foreheads to touch the ground when they pray? they they go to mecca to perform hajj? Did they face mecca when they pray? Were they going about conquering lands and forcing people to pay jizyah?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Revealed: The Bible Says God Did Not Create Man. / Funny Pics About Religious People That Should Make You THINK AGAIN. (PIX) / What Is The Interpretation Of The Dream Of Seeing Bitter Leaf.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.