Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,565 members, 7,941,154 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 06:30 PM

Opinion: Buhari Or Jonathan: Who Can Best Guarantee Nigeria’s Future? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Opinion: Buhari Or Jonathan: Who Can Best Guarantee Nigeria’s Future? (534 Views)

Buhari Or No Buhari, "North Must Retain Presidency Till 2023"- Arewa Youth Forum / Melaye: No One Not Even Buhari Or Saraki Should Have Immunity / Amaechi: I’m Igbo, Jonathan Who Says His Name Is Ebele Can’t Speak The Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Opinion: Buhari Or Jonathan: Who Can Best Guarantee Nigeria’s Future? by nnekaogo: 12:18pm On Mar 12, 2015
Prior to the All Progressives Congress primaries I had little doubts that my vote would go to a candidate in that direction, provided the selection process was credible. But that didn’t occur.
As it turned out, the APC presented a candidate against my wishes. Frankly, I do not have anything against the person of Gen. Muhammadu Buhari even though his candidature is questionable to me. The former military head of state has yet to answer for some of the allegations of human rights abuses committed during his regime. But most importantly, the Buhari/Osinbajo team has yet to present a tenable agenda on how the party intends to develop the Nigerian economy and improve on what the incumbent President Goodluck Jonathan has done so far.
For one, much has been said about the fact that Gen. Buhari’s ideas cannot resonate with the demands of the times. He lives in a different age; a different era. Though so much can be written about this, I will not dwell on this for obvious reasons. A president does not alone constitute an executive team; he needs a team of ministers, advisers, and assistants to be able to execute his plans well. In this case, neither the APC nor Gen. Buhari have been able to present a workable plan for charting the country forward so there’s no point exhausting time on a non-existent plant.
Here is the bone of contention. How does Gen. Buhari intend to guarantee the vote of the electorate on the single agenda he plans to execute in government – anti-corruption? As far as Nigerians can see, if I can comment on that, Gen. Buhari has surrounded himself with people of questionable character, and that is putting it mildly. In the truest sense, the financiers, associates, and closest cheerleaders of Gen. Buhari and his running-mate, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, are people that have continued to siphon state resources and convert them to personal use. They have names; they have faces and Nigerians know them. The sad part is that the praise-singers of Gen. Buhari turn a blind eye to their many atrocities. Bola Ahmed Tinubu, erstwhile governor of Lagos State and chieftain of the APC is the backbone of the APC’s presidential ambition. Even though he is yet to be indicted, no one can deny the fact that he has pocketed Lagos State and a substantial part of the southwest. He continues to take estates, properties, and resources belonging to the public without as much as a complaint from anyone. He runs amok unchallenged, and this is because he does so through his proxies, many of whom he helped into becoming governors across the region, namely Babatunde Raji Fashola (Lagos State); Rauf Aregbesola (Osun State).
Do I need to speak on why President Goodluck Jonathan towers above the APC team? Perhaps, it is important. But the evidences are there in the public domain. The eyes see it. The agricultural revolution, rebuilding federal highways, giving children in the north a renewal of hope through education, infusing life into entrepreneurship development in Nigeria through grants and loans, enabling and empowering financial institutions to empower the business environment, reviving the manufacturing sector, giving women equality through appointment in public offices, giving the Nigerian press freedom to publish and enabling the general public to comment on topical issues without fear of being gagged, improved security, and the list is endless. Anyone that says the president has not done anything has been spending too much time on APC-owned media outlets, and they are in abundance for the simple reason that Bola Tinubu is smart enough to know the power of the media when it comes to propaganda. If there is any one thing I think he has done, and this is also for himself, it is in the acquisition of a motley of media organisations across the broadcast and print media.
Even though it is easy to sit on the fence in times like this and give reasons why neither of the two frontrunners in this election deserves a vote, one cannot turn a blind eye to the good that President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration has brought on Nigeria. In 2011, his campaign slogan was ‘Fresh Air’, and I cannot deny the fact that Nigerians have never had it so good since 1960. I challenge anyone to name any leader that has given the economy and social atmosphere such freedom to grow and blossom.
One more thing. President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration is the only one in history with zero record of political assassination. He has no enemies; he makes none. Always extending the olive leaf even when things tend to go awry. There has never been mention of him grooming a killer squad or enriching any political godfather, and he doesn’t indulge in nepotism either. God bless President Jonathan! God bless Nigeria!!
source: http://nigerians4change.com/2015/03/12/opinion-buhari-or-jonathan-who-can-best-guarantee-nigerias-future/
Re: Opinion: Buhari Or Jonathan: Who Can Best Guarantee Nigeria’s Future? by AIZubair(m): 12:36pm On Mar 12, 2015
@OP

(1) (Reply)

Lekki Robbery: Statement By Gov. Fashola Totally Irresponsible- Reuben Abati / See Photo Of Buhari Looking Like Jonathan. / Presidential Scorecard Live On Channelstv

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.