Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,295 members, 7,934,202 topics. Date: Wednesday, 28 August 2024 at 08:33 PM

It Will Be Irresponsible Of Me To Resign -jega - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / It Will Be Irresponsible Of Me To Resign -jega (681 Views)

Shameful, Irresponsible That DSS Is Leaking Our Phone Conversations - Fayose / Nobody Has Asked Me To Resign – Jega / It Would Be Disservice To Nigerians For Me To Resign – Jega (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

It Will Be Irresponsible Of Me To Resign -jega by 9jagistonline(m): 6:42am On Mar 17, 2015
Chairman, Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof. Attahiru Jega, said yesterday it would be irresponsible of him to resign his appointment, less than two weeks to the general elections.
Ethnic militia groups, such as the Movement for the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB) and the Oodua Peoples Congress (OPC) organised protests in the South-East and Lagos respectively in the last 48 hours, calling for Jega’s resignation and their opposition to the use of Card Readers for the elections.
Jega, who spoke in Abuja during the Town Hall meeting organized by the Ford Foundation in conjunction with Channels Television, maintained that resigning such a sensitive position with just a few days to the elections will only be irresponsible of him.
While reacting to various protesters asking for his resignation and or removal, Prof. Jega said: “The issue of my resignation at this point in time just days to the elections will be irresponsible of me to do. I have a duty to perform and I am very focused on delivering free, fair and credible elections that will even surpass what we did in 2011.
“I will only say that the issue of resignation is out of the question and let me state that nobody has asked me to resign. I only read it in the pages of newspapers just as you did.”
Responding to many of the questions on the INEC’s readiness for the elections, Jega said the postponement from February 14 to March 28 has actually helped the commission to prepare better for the polls.
The INEC boss, however, noted that the elections could still have taken place last month with the 67 per cent projection for the collection of the Permanent Voters Cards (PVCs) before the postponement.
“Certainly, the postponement of the polls has helped us to prepare better but that does not mean that by February 14, we could not have had a good election because by our projection, we were to distribute 67% of the PVCs which would have been far better than any previous record. In Ekiti and Osun, it was barely 63%.
“One major challenge we have in distributing the voter cards is our own peculiarities in Nigeria. In some other places, you can even mail the cards to people, but we all know what the result will be if we try that here. We should also ask why many PVCs are lying idle at collection centres without their owners coming for them,” he noted.
On the issue of the Card Readers, Jega warned that the decision on use for the elections is irreversible even as he explained that already the Resident Electoral Commissioners (RECs) have been mandated to begin enlightening the people in their states on the need to keep their hands clean before coming to do their accreditation.
According to him, “the role of the military, as defined in the Constitution, is for the Armed Forces to provide support to civil authorities if there is a breakdown of law and order, stressing that the military participated in the 2011 elections within the confines of the Constitution to provide support to the police”.
He noted that as it used to be in the previous elections, every policeman attached to various polling units will be asked to stay 300 metres away, adding that there was no time INEC had never allowed men in uniform to partake in the electoral proceedings.
“We have never had policemen at polling units, what we have had is three unarmed policemen manning a polling unit, while three armed policemen stay 300 metres away from the polling unit.
Responding to a question on the state of security which was the basis for the shifting of the elections, Jega stated that the situation in the country has improved now. “There is evidence indicating we are much better security-wise than before the postponement of the election,” he said.
… ‘We’re ready for polls, no going back on Card Readers’
The Chairman, Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof. Attahiru Jega, declared yesterday that the commission is very much ready for the general elections which will start with the March 28 presidential and National Assembly polls...[url]continue reading[/url]

Re: It Will Be Irresponsible Of Me To Resign -jega by fzero: 6:48am On Mar 17, 2015
Nigeria don tire me..
Re: It Will Be Irresponsible Of Me To Resign -jega by TI1919(m): 6:48am On Mar 17, 2015
Trash
Re: It Will Be Irresponsible Of Me To Resign -jega by Nobody: 6:55am On Mar 17, 2015
Jega you will not resign! You must conduct the elections whether MASSOB,OPC and PDP like it or not.
Re: It Will Be Irresponsible Of Me To Resign -jega by SweetyZinta(f): 6:57am On Mar 17, 2015
donot resignnnnn!

How many times hv they called 4 d president's resignation?
Did he resign?
What about Abba moro?
What about koro?
What about fayose?
Re: It Will Be Irresponsible Of Me To Resign -jega by molydonhenry(m): 7:02am On Mar 17, 2015
JEGA, do u want to resign?

Ofcoz no!
Forgot all dz sociocultural groups making noise
Re: It Will Be Irresponsible Of Me To Resign -jega by LoveDecay(m): 7:12am On Mar 17, 2015
molydonhenry:
JEGA, do u want to resign?

Ofcoz no!
Forgot all dz sociocultural groups making noise

mossad grin and OPP grin should be playing music at traditional weddings. Since , they can now be hired and have proven to Nigerian's they have no ideology all they know is $
Re: It Will Be Irresponsible Of Me To Resign -jega by omolami: 10:48pm On Mar 17, 2015
JEGA JEGA JEGA HOW MANY TIMES DID I CALL YOU? PLEASE PLEASE AND PLEASE LEAVE NOW NO NIGERIAN WANTS YOU ON THAT POST EXCEPT APC WHOM YOU ARE ALREADY IN ALLIANCE WITH TO SCUTTLE THE ELECTION IN THEIR FAVOUR. ONCE AGAIN JEGA PLSE GO ON TERMINAL LEAVE.. YOUR REFUSAL TO GO CLEARLY REVEAL YOUR STAND ON IMPLEMENTING YOUR EVIL PLAN OF RIGGING FOR APC

(1) (Reply)

I Would Have Been Richer In PDP –tambuwal / The B.U.T. Analogy / Frank Kokori To Jonathan: Don,t Sink Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.