Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,483 members, 7,964,931 topics. Date: Thursday, 03 October 2024 at 02:45 AM

Abuja Bound Plane Loses Engine Mid Air - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abuja Bound Plane Loses Engine Mid Air (1574 Views)

Alert! Abuja-bound Flights Diverted Due To Dust Haze / DANA Flight From Abuja Loses Engine Mid-Air To Lagos!!! / Police Block Abuja-bound Bayelsa Protesters In Lokoja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abuja Bound Plane Loses Engine Mid Air by TheOne2(m): 8:58am On Jan 18, 2009
AN Abuja-bound Chanchangi Airlines’ flight NCH 190 with 45 passengers on board, yesterday lost one of its twin engines shortly after take-off from the Murtala Muhammed Airport in Lagos. The development, it was learnt, compelled the pilot to make an air return to base for safety.
Sunday Vanguard gathered that one of the engines caught fire around Mafoluku area, as the aircraft, Boeing 727-200, climbed to attain cruising level, and this was said to have sparked off panic and confusion among the passengers, especially coming days after an American Airways’ pilot ditched his aircraft into the Hudson River in New York, USA, after losing both engines to bird strike.

Consequently, an emergency was reportedly declared by the pilot, who landed the aircraft safely for passengers’evacuation. Chanchangi Airlines’ spokesman, Mr. Olu Balogun, who confirmed the incident, said the passengers were moved into another aircraft, a Boeing 737-200, for continuation of the journey to Abuja. Balogun said a distress call was made by the pilot after take-off at 10:00 a.m. after one of the aircraft’s engines had set off a fire alarm.

He said although the alternate engine could have taken the aircraft to its destination, the pilot acted wisely by discontinuing the journey for safety reasons. The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) is expected to conduct an investigation into the cause of the fire, as the aircraft is currently on ground at the Lagos airport.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/content/view/26541/43/
Re: Abuja Bound Plane Loses Engine Mid Air by RICHIEBOI1(m): 12:33pm On Jan 18, 2009
its not our portion in 2009! shocked
Re: Abuja Bound Plane Loses Engine Mid Air by jamace(m): 7:56pm On Jan 18, 2009
angry sad cry
Re: Abuja Bound Plane Loses Engine Mid Air by oderemo(m): 8:02pm On Jan 18, 2009
The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) is expected to conduct an investigation into the cause of the fire, as the aircraft is currently on ground at the Lagos airport.

what happen to other investigations?
Re: Abuja Bound Plane Loses Engine Mid Air by BOSS7: 8:39pm On Jan 18, 2009
It's an amazing country. How some people blindly still support it (the government), I don't know.
Re: Abuja Bound Plane Loses Engine Mid Air by TheOne2(m): 9:43pm On Jan 18, 2009
I posted this story expecting some commendations for the good judgement exercised by the pilot the same way people were praising the pilot who crash-landed into the Hudson River. But as usual with nairalanders we never see a positive with anything associated with Nigeria.

It's just so sad really!! embarassed
Re: Abuja Bound Plane Loses Engine Mid Air by oderemo(m): 10:15pm On Jan 18, 2009
It's just so sad really!!

very sad , same way i lost my inlaw . proff. rotimi ola an eminent , brilliant surgeon on that yeye abuja last crash, and what happen to the investigation , ? i will praise when i see changes in nigerian aviation management.
Re: Abuja Bound Plane Loses Engine Mid Air by BOSS7: 10:25pm On Jan 18, 2009
The One:

I posted this story expecting some commendations for the good judgement exercised by the pilot the same way people were praising the pilot who crash-landed into the Hudson River. But as usual with nairalanders we never see a positive with anything associated with Nigeria.

It's just so sad really!! embarassed

Say that to the ones who've lost their loved ones in our yeye, untrustworthy, Gog-forsaken, accident-prone, leave-and-never-expect-to-return, cursed and hellish airline.

See your mouth, Nairalandsh never shee a poshitiv thing in Ningeri,

No we dont nand when we see, we'll holla.

Get it?
Re: Abuja Bound Plane Loses Engine Mid Air by superboi(m): 11:32am On Jan 19, 2009
for other accident report ode remo please check www.aib.gov.ng, some people like to yab government without doing research, some concluded report are on that site and other will be loaded subsequently. secondly all these nigerian paper go dey employ people wey no dey do research and that why they can't enligthen people properly. the 727-200 is a tri engine aircraft not twin as the journalist reported .
Re: Abuja Bound Plane Loses Engine Mid Air by vigasimple(m): 2:44pm On Jan 19, 2009
Boeing 727 is a very old Aircraft and should be out of service now.
Re: Abuja Bound Plane Loses Engine Mid Air by Muza(m): 9:38pm On Jan 19, 2009
Chanchangi again!?
Re: Abuja Bound Plane Loses Engine Mid Air by thehomer: 10:33pm On Jan 19, 2009
The One:

Free speech inaction cheesy cheesy
Re: Abuja Bound Plane Loses Engine Mid Air by MrCrackles(m): 10:38pm On Jan 19, 2009
Oh dear! undecided
Re: Abuja Bound Plane Loses Engine Mid Air by ilaugh1: 12:06am On Jan 21, 2009
@Poster

The morons like B. O. S. S. will not praise the pilot because it happened in Nigeria - dont you know? To them, Nigeria is a don for entity - they never see anything good in Nigeria- have you forgotten?
Re: Abuja Bound Plane Loses Engine Mid Air by JosBoy4Lif(m): 12:19am On Jan 21, 2009
i_laugh:

@Poster

The morons like B. O. S. S. will not praise the pilot because it happened in Nigeria - dont you know? To them, Nigeria is a don for entity - they never see anything good in Nigeria- have you forgotten?

But losing you engine should not happen in mid air co ya ne?
The root problem is that we in Nigeria do not have any regards for safety, I guess its our own form of population control. What is the life expectancy back home anyways?
Re: Abuja Bound Plane Loses Engine Mid Air by osisi2(f): 12:22am On Jan 21, 2009
JosBoy4Lif:

But losing you engine should not happen in mid air co ya ne?
The root problem is that we in Nigeria do not have any regards for safety, I guess its our own form of population control. What is the life expectancy back home anyways?

Only God knows
Re: Abuja Bound Plane Loses Engine Mid Air by osisi2(f): 12:25am On Jan 21, 2009
I thought chachangi was no more
even the name sef dey scary
like cha cha cha!!
Igbo slang for "try your luck"
Nigerian aviation like everything else,playing ludo aka chandum with people's lives
Re: Abuja Bound Plane Loses Engine Mid Air by jookco(m): 3:09am On Jan 21, 2009
I thought chachangi was no more
even the name sef dey scary
like cha cha cha!!
Igbo slang for "try your luck"
Nigerian aviation like everything else,playing ludo aka chandum with people's lives

My sister Ibiakwa, this your statement make me laugh no be small I swear, I beg make you the post this kind thing make I dey laugh forget Akata wahala
Re: Abuja Bound Plane Loses Engine Mid Air by osisi2(f): 3:13am On Jan 21, 2009
jookco:

My sister Ibiakwa, this your statement make me laugh no be small I swear, I beg make you the post this kind thing make I dey laugh forget Akata wahala

abeg laugh my dear

[b]chachacha[/b]ngi!
ndu adighi abuo

that should be their slogan
Re: Abuja Bound Plane Loses Engine Mid Air by Treetop20(m): 3:28am On Jan 21, 2009
lmao cheesy cheesy
Re: Abuja Bound Plane Loses Engine Mid Air by ilaugh1: 9:21am On Jan 21, 2009
Birds enters a plane engine in America and forces it to crash/land on water - if it happens just the same way in Nigeria, people will say it can only happen in Nigeria.

These people stay away, cant even come to the country for lack of return visa- yet they speak what they know not about.

We live in both sides, I enjoy flying in Nigeria because most airlines now have brand new airplanes, so, next time y'all wanna diss Nigeria, think deper cos you might actually be making a fool of yourself.
Re: Abuja Bound Plane Loses Engine Mid Air by superboi(m): 10:38am On Jan 21, 2009
josboy4life as much as i will agree with you that our safety culture in general as a people still live room to be desired, in the aviation sector there have been great improvement since the bad patch of 2005/2006 and it been due to hard working and passionate civil servants and other professionals who don't make noise but work. about engine failure/fires they are quite requent occurance globally. for example just the past week apart from the us airways accident,there were up 5 cases of engine fires/failures around the world. pilots are trained to deal with such stuffs and planes are designed to overcome such failures too.
Re: Abuja Bound Plane Loses Engine Mid Air by BOSS7: 11:07am On Jan 21, 2009
i_laugh:

@Poster

Only a dumb fool like you would keep fighting lost grounds. What an idiot you are. Is it a nice thing losing an engine mid air? Say that to the family of the people who lost their lives as a result of Nigeria’s aviation inefficiency.

Stay online and keep fighting.

Idiot.
Re: Abuja Bound Plane Loses Engine Mid Air by Eziachi: 7:24pm On Jan 21, 2009
i_laugh:

Birds enters a plane engine in America and forces it to crash/land on water - if it happens just the same way in Nigeria, people will say it can only happen in Nigeria.

These people stay away, cant even come to the country for lack of return visa- yet they speak what they know not about.

We live in both sides, I enjoy flying in Nigeria because most airlines now have brand new airplanes, so, next time y'all wanna diss Nigeria, think deper cos you might actually be making a fool of yourself.

People say that for a reason because Nigeria's middle name is incompetence. There is a huge different between a natural accident and avoidable accident. You can't judiciously control the movement of a flying bird, that is a natural accident but few years ago a roaming herds of cow nearly cost hundreds of people their life when they roamed into the landing tracks of Port Harcourt airport as an aircraft is about to land. In that case, it reflect Nigeria and not a natural accident because you can control a roaming herd by making sure that fence are erected to prevent such occurence. And it's a big security laspe to have access to the run way from nearby vegetation, not just against roaming beast but against wicked people too.

But only in Nigeria, they never did, until a mishap nearly occurred. Your attitude of patriotism is see no evil, hear no evil and that to you is love of your country without knowing that you are the greatest enemy of your so called country in that regard. A parent that ignores his child deliberate absenteeism from school as show of love, will reap the reward later when that child becomes a burden.

(1) (Reply)

Efcc Seizes Atuche’s Multibillion Naira Assets •n50bn Cash, 18 Firms, 15 Houses, / The Fact Is - Mallam No Get Brain / Kebbu Central:Tribunal Nullifies Pdp Victory- Declares Aliero of CPC Winner!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.