Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,935 members, 7,949,216 topics. Date: Saturday, 14 September 2024 at 10:19 PM

‘father Of Singapore’ Lee Kuan Yew Dies At 91. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘father Of Singapore’ Lee Kuan Yew Dies At 91. (589 Views)

Transformation Of Singapore From Swampland To Skyscrapers (pictures) / Singapore's Lee Kuan Yew Dies At 91. / Breaking: Singapore Lee Kuan Yew Dies At 91 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘father Of Singapore’ Lee Kuan Yew Dies At 91. by blackmiamy: 10:37am On Mar 23, 2015
Singapore has begun seven days of national mourning following the death of its founding father, Lee Kuan Yew.

Mr Lee, who was 91, led Singapore's transformation from a small port city to one of the wealthiest nations in the world.

World leaders have paid tribute to Mr Lee, who served as the city-state's prime minister for 31 years.

US President Barack Obama described him as a "giant of history" whose advice had been sought by other world leaders.

The Chinese foreign ministry called him "a uniquely influential statesman in Asia" and UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said he was "deeply saddened" by Mr Lee's death.

The period of national mourning will culminate in a state funeral next Sunday and Mr Lee's body is to lie in state at parliament from Wednesday to Saturday.

A private family wake is taking place on Monday and Tuesday.

News of Mr Lee's death came in a government statement that said he had "passed away peacefully" in the early hours of Monday at Singapore General Hospital. Mr Lee had been in hospital for several weeks with pneumonia and was on life support.

State television broke away from its normal schedules and broadcast rolling tributes.

A steady stream of Singaporeans, many openly grieving, arrived at the hospital where an area has been set aside for flowers and other tributes.

"I'm so sad. He is my idol. He's been so good to me, my family and everyone," said resident Lua Su Yean, 64.

"His biggest achievement is that from zero he's built up today's Singapore."

A hearse carrying Mr Lee's body later arrived at the Istana, the prime minister's official residence, where a book of condolence has been set up.

In an emotional televised address, Mr Lee's son, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, paid tribute to him.

"He fought for our independence, built a nation where there was none, and made us proud to be Singaporeans. We won't see another man like him."

Lee Kuan Yew - widely known LKY - oversaw Singapore's independence from Britain and separation from Malaysia and co-founded the People's Action Party (PAP), which has governed Singapore since 1959.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-32014307

Re: ‘father Of Singapore’ Lee Kuan Yew Dies At 91. by VcStunner(m): 10:53am On Mar 23, 2015
May his soul rest in peace..... GEJ will do same, and me sef take style dey believe A̶̲̥̅♏. GMB is already 72yrs..... Just saying grin
Re: ‘father Of Singapore’ Lee Kuan Yew Dies At 91. by blackmiamy: 11:09am On Mar 23, 2015
VcStunner:
May his soul rest in peace..... GEJ will do same, and me sef take style dey believe A̶̲̥̅♏. GMB is already 72yrs..... Just saying grin

I don't expect you to politicize this post. Kindly be objective in your uttering.
Re: ‘father Of Singapore’ Lee Kuan Yew Dies At 91. by VcStunner(m): 11:27am On Mar 23, 2015
blackmiamy:

I don't expect you to politicize this post. Kindly be objective in your uttering.
sorry if I did, but be rest assured that its not every death u mourn bro... There are those deaths u just thank God for a life well spent!! Why would'nt I mention GEJ, afterall it was because of him most of u knew such a man exists in the first place undecided he was 91yrs old his party ruled since 1956 till date, read history and u will realize dat 6yrs is just one of those "difficult beginnings".
Re: ‘father Of Singapore’ Lee Kuan Yew Dies At 91. by buccal(m): 11:33am On Mar 23, 2015
VcStunner:
undecided

(1) (Reply)

Naira Will Be Equal To Dollar If Am Voted In- Buhari / Use Your Permanent Voter Card (PVC) To Please Vote Change (PVC ) / Breaking News Buhari's Eligibility Suit Suffers Setback, Adjourned To April 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.