Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,618 members, 7,941,377 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 04:47 AM

Computer Networking Problem. - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Computer Networking Problem. (648 Views)

Learn Computer Networking / Introduction To Computer Networking - (part 1) / Thread For Cisco Networking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Computer Networking Problem. by jmoore(m): 12:58pm On Mar 24, 2015
One of my computers can no longer find another computer on the network. I have tried to ping it from another computer, it can't be found.

I have checked the cable, it is still good.

How do I solve this problem? The computer runs on WinXp.
Re: Computer Networking Problem. by temmyt20(m): 2:48pm On Mar 24, 2015
does both computers stl detect d ntwk cable? if yes, try disabling ur anti virus and firewall
Re: Computer Networking Problem. by jmoore(m): 4:23pm On Mar 24, 2015
Yes, it shows a network cable is connected.
The firewall is off.
I will try turning off the antivirus when power has been restored.

Note:The networking links 3 computers(1 win 7 laptop +2 winxp desktop). I was able to ping, share files and printers with all of them.
It was later that one of the desktop computers failed to appear on the network. That's why I decided to ping it to test if it is reachable.
Re: Computer Networking Problem. by persius555(m): 5:57am On Mar 25, 2015
If u are 100 percent sure hardware isnt a issue. Assign ip address staticallysee if u can ping other systems, then allow the pc to dynamically obataimn address.
Re: Computer Networking Problem. by jmoore(m): 8:26am On Mar 25, 2015
persius555:
If u are 100 percent sure hardware isnt a issue. Assign ip address staticallysee if u can ping other systems, then allow the pc to dynamically obataimn address.
How do I go about assigning ip address and allowing pc to obtain the address?
Re: Computer Networking Problem. by persius555(m): 11:29am On Mar 25, 2015
jmoore:

How do I go about assigning ip address and allowing pc to obtain the address?
Go to your network connection tab option from control panel.The dialogs that pop up should be two, by default the obtain dynamic address button should be on, click it, go down and "click assign assign address" then enter any ip address that hasnt been assigned from your ip address pool. E.g 192.168.1.132.See if you can ping you gateway.IF u are sucessfull, allow the address to be dynamically assigned by doing the reverse.
Re: Computer Networking Problem. by jmoore(m): 12:13pm On Mar 25, 2015
^^^

The computer runs on winxp.

Here are the steps I took so far
1- Click control panel
2- Click network and internet connection
3- Click on network connections, which displays all connection

I didn't see any dialog pop-up for assigning ip

I checked the LAN setting, still couldn't find where to assign ip
Re: Computer Networking Problem. by temmyt20(m): 1:06pm On Mar 25, 2015
been a while I used xp, but dis shld help http://m.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-manually-assign-an-ip-address-in-windows-xp.html where is ur location, mayb I can help out
Re: Computer Networking Problem. by jmoore(m): 2:15pm On Mar 25, 2015
^^^

It worked. I automatically assigned ip to it.

Thank you.
Re: Computer Networking Problem. by persius555(m): 3:04pm On Mar 25, 2015
Nice.

(1) (Reply)

New Way To Make Money Online For Free / Affordable Deals At AMAZON - Miocstar Mall / Hp laptopShuts Down Automatically! Pls Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.