Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,235 members, 7,939,905 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 01:57 PM

Osuji:Why Do Many Nigerians Have Antisocial Personality Disorder? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osuji:Why Do Many Nigerians Have Antisocial Personality Disorder? (958 Views)

Is This What Nigerians Have Been Reduced To?(pics) / Ikorodu Killings: Nigerians Have Lost Trust In Police- Commissioner Of Police / PMB: The Dangers Of One-man-show - Steve Osuji (The Nation) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Osuji:Why Do Many Nigerians Have Antisocial Personality Disorder? by oduastates: 5:50am On Mar 25, 2015
Why do many Nigerians have antisocial personality disorder?
Please perform this little experiment. The next time you go to one of those Nigerian meetings try to get there early. Place a small amount of money, say, ten dollars, in a wallet (you can buy a cheap wallet at Walmart) and leave the wallet on a table. Stay away from the wallet and watch Nigerians as they enter the room. The chances are that 90% or more of Nigerians, if they think that nobody is watching them, would take the wallet. May be, ten percent, that is, one out of ten Nigerians would ask if someone left the wallet on the table.

Now, perform the same experiment in a room full of white middle class, suburban kids. The chances are that 100%, of the kids would not touch the wallet, or if they did they would ask who is the owner.

Perform the experiment and do not argue about it; just do it and find out about the level of Nigerians propensity to stealing.

The rulers of Nigeria, from Badluck Jonathan down to the leaders of local government area councils are mostly antisocial personality disordered (see attached material below).

Antisocial personality disordered persons do not respect other people’s rights and properties. They steal and do not feel moral qualms about it. They do not feel guilty or remorseful from stealing. Indeed, they may hurt other people and not feel bad from doing so. When the disorder progresses to the extreme such persons actually derive sadistic pleasure from harming other people; they feel happy from seeing other people in pain (at this point they are called sociopaths and psychopaths).

Nigeria is full of antisocial personality disordered persons. Nigerian leaders are mostly antisocial personality disordered persons.

Since antisocial personality is a mental disorder most Nigerian leaders are mentally disordered. In fact, most Nigerians, I would say, at least, 90% of Nigerians have personality disorders, especially antisocial personality disorder (some have narcissistic personality disorder...these are the ones who want you to recognize their titles and want to be the center of attention but would not lift a finger to help anyone in need).

Other Nigerians suffer from one or more of the other personality disorders, such as paranoid, schizotypal, schizoid, borderline, histrionic, avoidant and dependent, obsessive-compulsive and passive aggressive personality disorders.

A person can have a personality disorder and still be a professional, such as be a medical doctor or be the head of state of his country. It is the psychotics who are generally shut out of social positions. Generally, less than one percent of the population is psychotic. Of course, some Nigerians have psychoses, such as schizophrenia, mania, and depression and delusion disorder.

You do not have to argue with me just do the experiment I set up above and see if the result would not be as predicted: at least 90% of Nigerians are criminals, thieves.

Now, what exactly do you expect from a country of thieves? You expect chaos and anarchy. The rulers of Nigeria are not different from the criminal gangs in Southside Chicago or South-Central Los Angeles. Nigeria is ruled by criminals. Those criminals gather at Abuja and state capitals and share the loot from oil money and do not give a damn about the welfare of other Nigerians.

As a result of what Nigerians have become, if a Nigerian is in my vicinity I make sure that my wallet is secure in my pocket and generally keep watchful eyes on him lest he steals from me. I would watch what information about me I give out, such as my social security number, driver’s license and credit card numbers. If a typical Nigerian gets hold of such information from you the chances are that he would use them to steal from you. Thus, it has come to pass that most Americans now see Nigerians as potential criminals and suspect them; they keep guard over their properties when a Nigerian is around them.

Over the years I deliberately write on psychological matters and post my writings at Nigerian Internet forums. Such writing began when a Nigerian University hired me and I got to Nigeria and quickly learned that most Nigerians would do anything for money and are corrupt beyond belief. I was amazed at how easily Nigerians engage in criminal activities and do not feel bad from doing so. My writing is meant to alert Nigerians to the level of their psychological sicknesses.

I am driving with folks on the road and a police man stops us. One of the occupants simply slid some money to the police officer and the bugger goes away. If not bribed he finds an excuse to detain us. Just about everything done in Nigeria requires bribing someone; even obtaining supposedly free forms from government offices requires you to bribe someone.

Those at the higher echelons of government simply divide up the national wealth among them and could care less about the people.

We are currently going through an election cycle. Jonathan and his PDP criminal gang apparently are using money from the national treasury to get reelected.

When Jonathan comes to town folks come to get money from him. That is correct; the leader of the country is now the chief-thief of the country; he steals from the national treasury and dashes the money to the people so that they may elect him.

Just imagine what would happen to Jonathan if he were in the USA? He would be arrested, tried before a judge and sentenced to prison. Jonathan and his fat wife would be put away to prison (given no less than one hundred years). In Nigeria the people do not bat an eye as this thieving dude robs the country down.

The Swiss government last week returned $380 million dollars stashed in its banks by Abacha. Good. However, that money would be stolen by Jonathan and his gang of thieves.

A few years ago the same Swiss government returned $950 (?) million dollars of Abacha’s stolen wealth to Nigeria. Now where is that money? The criminal rulers of Nigeria probably redirected it to their pockets.

Why are most Nigerians criminals? Can a country composed of antisocial personality disordered persons, criminals actually make a go of it? I do not think so.

What do you think? How do we heal Nigerians of their mass mental disorder? Or should we keep quiet as most of our country men are mentally disturbed? Should we say let us pretend that all is fine with us? Should we say: let us not wash our clothes in the public lest other people, especially white folks know that we are criminals?

If so, don’t they already know this fact? Who are we kidding? Don’t we get searched at American and European airports as if we are criminals while folks from other countries, those assumed to be prosocial persons are not humiliated with the thorough searches Nigerian travelers are subjected to at international Airports?

We are not hiding anything about us that other people do not already know. To be a Nigerian is to be suspected to be a criminal.

If you think that the suspicion is unfair then perform the experiment above and see what the outcome is. Or, would you rather be a thief and have other people see you as a saint?

Talking about saints, how many mother Teresas do we have in Nigeria?

Something has to give for a country cannot continue going as Nigeria is going. There is a breaking point to every bad behavior. Nigeria will, sooner or later, reach a breaking point, collapse and the mostly young population (most of them are under age 35, the age most likely to engage in antisocial behavior) will fall on each other killing each other for the shirts on their backs.

The long term picture of Nigeria is like what obtains in South Chicago. This fate got to be arrested unless, of course, the black man inherited criminal genes and all he can do is become a criminal?

Whereas the tendency to criminal behavior is probably in folks genes, I would like to believe that an enabling lawless environment brings it out. An environment that draconically arrests and punishes criminals probably would reduce the level of criminal behavior in it.

When other people, especially white folks call us criminals we feel offended. But instead of trying to disprove them we do everything in our powers to prove them right by engaging in unmitigated criminal behaviors. Who exactly are we kidding...ourselves, of course!

I asked a question: why are many Nigerians tending to criminal behavior? I want you to provide us with the answer. Of course, I have read many putative answers, such as the usual blaming of other people for our behaviors. Our pseudo scholars blamed our criminal activities on colonialism and racism. The Center/West supposedly carted our wealth to the center and left us, the periphery impoverished. The white man did this or that to us, he made us poor and, therefore, we steal because we are poor. Nothing is ever our fault; it is always other folks fault that we did wrong. Even when we sold our people to Arabs and the white man we blamed the white man for that depravity. We are the eternal children and other people are adults and, as such, they are responsible for what we, children do! As far as I am concerned if a man points two accusatory fingers at other people three point right back at him reminding him that whereas other people contribute to his behavior that he contributed more than they did. Not all poor people steal. We need to understand why our people degenerate to criminal activities and what has to be done to arrest this terrible situation before the rest of the world sees Africans as born thieves. Perception influences behavior; if other people perceive us as born criminals they would relate to us as folks relate to criminals, with contempt...they actually already do! Do you respect thieves even if you understand all the supposed sociological reasons why they are thieves? Of course not!

Ozodi Osuji

March 22, 2015

http://chatafrik.com/articles/general/author/63-ozodiosujiphd

3 Likes

Re: Osuji:Why Do Many Nigerians Have Antisocial Personality Disorder? by AAinEqGuinea: 3:37am On Apr 01, 2015
Re: Osuji:Why Do Many Nigerians Have Antisocial Personality Disorder? by MDMA: 8:44am On Apr 08, 2015
This thread might not reach front page.

The amount of conciental cognitive disonance it will cause wont even make most readers reach three paragraphs.

A country of thieves run by a gang of narcist thieves. And, oh...how we love to blame someone else for our psychosis. The devil being a favorite candidate. And shamefully, we claim to be the most moral and religious country in the world and the west is painted to be Sodom & Gomorrah.

Lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

NEWSPAPERS' HEADLINES ON March 30th 2015. / Iloro Ward 'a' Ward of Ijero LGA In ekiti Result(unit) / Please Who Can Reliably Inform Us Where This Pix Was Taken

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.