Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,760 members, 7,965,871 topics. Date: Friday, 04 October 2024 at 12:02 AM

Aisha buhari, marriage and the politics of equivocation With Eaglechild - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Aisha buhari, marriage and the politics of equivocation With Eaglechild (1072 Views)

Zahra Buhari's Marriage Not Postponed Because Of The Gifts. Here Is Why. / Why Bola Tinubu & Muhammadu Buhari Marriage Is Falling Apart / Congrats Buhari From Eaglechild Nigeria Is Now Truly Democratic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Aisha buhari, marriage and the politics of equivocation With Eaglechild by AgentOfAllah: 7:54am On Mar 27, 2015
Eaglechild, I like to engage you because you remained civil in a rather unfortunate thread that brought out the worst in many people. I start this new thread, hoping we will be civil about our obviously different takes on the very important topic of "teenage marriage". I hope in the end, one of us will be able to convince the other of their position...Of course, I think that one is me, but I'm open to being wrong.

Forgive me for removing parts of your comment I consider irrelevant to this discourse. Your point may be approximated by the following quote:

Please i need to know, is it mandatory for Muslims to be married before a certain age eg 18 years?

If so, then it is a believe system.

If not then the issue here is worth a civil discuss.

There is a direct link between age at first marriage for females and the economy. Cultural practices and religion of course play a strong role.

The question here is, should teenage marriage be encouraged?

As for your first question, there is nothing that mandates Muslims to marry before/after a certain age. Judging from historical antecedents though, one can safely assume that there is nothing wrong, Islamically, to marry a child as young as 9. Nevertheless, religion is largely outdated in this regard, so I hope we may avoid religious or emotional colouration in our arguments, whatever becomes of this thread.

Belief notwithstanding, the age of marriage is of importance to the public because it touches upon a lot of important indices of civility, not least, the health of the female child. I think it is safe to say that women are the pillars and pivot of any thriving civilisation.

You asked if teenage marriage should be encouraged. I want you to clarify something first. Are you using "teenage" here as a synonym for "child", or in its literal sense of the age range 13-19? If your answer is the latter, might you clarify if one can be both a teenager and an adult? If your answer is in the affirmative, then I wish to ask you a question.

Should adult marriage be encouraged?
Re: Aisha buhari, marriage and the politics of equivocation With Eaglechild by AgentOfAllah: 10:45am On Mar 27, 2015
One more question for eaglechild. Would you say there is any significant biological disparity between a 19 year old lady (a teenager) and herself 12 months after her 19th birthday?
Re: Aisha buhari, marriage and the politics of equivocation With Eaglechild by eaglechild: 8:08pm On Mar 27, 2015
AgentOfAllah:
Eaglechild, I like to engage you because you remained civil in a rather unfortunate thread that brought out the worst in many people. I start this new thread, hoping we will be civil about our obviously different takes on the very important topic of "teenage marriage". I hope in the end, one of us will be able to convince the other of their position...Of course, I think that one is me, but I'm open to being wrong.

Forgive me for removing parts of your comment I consider irrelevant to this discourse. Your point may be approximated by the following quote:

As for your first question, there is nothing that mandates Muslims to marry before/after a certain age. Judging from historical antecedents though, one can safely assume that there is nothing wrong, Islamically, to marry a child as young as 9. Nevertheless, religion is largely outdated in this regard, so I hope we may avoid religious or emotional colouration in our arguments, whatever becomes of this thread.

Belief notwithstanding, the age of marriage is of importance to the public because it touches upon a lot of important indices of civility, not least, the health of the female child. I think it is safe to say that women are the pillars and pivot of any thriving civilisation.

You asked if teenage marriage should be encouraged. I want you to clarify something first. Are you using "teenage" here as a synonym for "child", or in its literal sense of the age range 13-19? If your answer is the latter, might you clarify if one can be both a teenager and an adult? If your answer is in the affirmative, then I wish to ask you a question.

Should adult marriage be encouraged?

When i say teenager i mean 13-19 years.

I realize that there is a subtle overlap between the definition of teenager and an adult if an adult is taken as one 18 years and above.
However, you must understand that while the definition of a teenager is clear cut and internationally accepted with WHO/UNICEF definitions.

The definition of adulthood based on age remains controversial and varies from society to society and even for different purposes.

I will consider an adult as someone who is physically and emotionally mature as well as socially, economically independent to a reasonable extent.
At 18 one is just not equipped to deal with the possible outcomes of marriage.
What happens to a pregnant post secondary school girl who loses her spouse vs a 25 year old graduate in the same condition.

Look at the societies that have embraced child and teenage marriage and the adverse economic and social implications.

eg the almajiri in northern Nigeria, Chad and Niger.

Sorry for responding late.

(1) (Reply)

Wow!!!! This Got Me. (PICS Inclusive) / Buhari’s Campaign Co-ordinator Defects To PDP. / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.