Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,785 members, 7,875,951 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 04:32 AM

Should It Be “hear” Or “listen To”? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Should It Be “hear” Or “listen To”? (322 Views)

The English Words That Nigerians Dont Want To Hear. / Should It Be “hear” Or “listen To”? / The Call For The FG To Listen To The Cry Of University Aspirant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Should It Be “hear” Or “listen To”? by TRWConsult(m): 12:10pm On Mar 30, 2015
Should it be “Hear” or “Listen to”?

Oftentimes, people use these two words interchangeably and end up misusing them.

For instance, look at this sentence:

1. * Let’s hear some music.

When we just want to say that sounds come to our ears, we use the verb hear. Listen to suggests that we are concentrating, paying attention, trying to hear as well as possible. Note, however, that if listen is followed by an object, the preposition to must be used. Look at these sentences:

2. I entered the room and sat on the bed; suddenly, I heard a strange noise.
3. Can you hear anything?
4. Listen carefully; if you hear your name, go into that Black Maria.
5. Darling, let’s listen to some music.

Note, however, that we use hear when we talk about experiencing musical performances, radio broadcasts, talks, lectures, etc:

6. Did you hear the President’s speech?
7. My wife and the home-help say they heard Lagbaja play Lili Bolero last night.
8. I spent the whole holiday listening to jazz

Not *I spent the whole holiday hearing jazz.

Credit: Basic English: “A trouble-shooting approach” by Adeleke A. Fakoya

(1) (Reply)

Please Help Me Verify This! / University Of ILORIN (unilorin)school Of Nursing Form For 2015/2016 Session Is O / Admission For June Is Now Open For 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.