Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,899 members, 7,889,967 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 06:04 AM

There May Be An Election Re-run!!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / There May Be An Election Re-run!!! (1578 Views)

Rivers Election Re-run: This Is What Rivers People Are Saying(graphic Image Plz) / On Wike,Rivers state Election Re Run And Ndiigbo In Rivers State. / Goodluck Jonathan As An Election Observer In Tanzania (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

There May Be An Election Re-run!!! by Nobody: 5:25pm On Mar 30, 2015
I know everyone is waiting patiently for the results to be declared... But have you considered the possibility of a "draw"?

What I'm trying to say is, if there's no clear winner as stipulated in the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria then INEC will have to arrange a re-run for presidential election within 7days

[b]Chapter VI

The Executive

Part I
Federal Executive

A - The President of the Federation

134. (1) A candidate for an election to the office of President shall be deemed to have be been duly elected, where, there being only two candidates for the election -

(a) he has the majority of votes cast at the election; and

(b) he has not less than one-quarter of the votes cast at the election in each of at least two-thirds of all the States in the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

(2) A candidate for an election to the office of President shall be deemed to have been duly elected where, there being more than two candidates for the election-

(a) he has the highest number of votes cast at the election;

and

(b) he has not less than one-quarter of the votes cast at the election each of at least two-thirds of all the States in the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

(3) In a default of a candidate duly elected in accordance with subsection (2) of this section their shall be a second election in accordance with subsection (4) of this section at which the only candidate shall be -

(a) the candidate who scored the highest number of votes at any election held in accordance with the said subsection (2) of this section; and

(b) one among the remaining candidates who has a majority of votes in the highest number of States, so however that where there are more than one candidate with majority of votes in the highest number of States, the candidate among them with the highest total of votes cast at the election shall be the second candidate for the election.

(4) In default of a candidate duly elected under the foregoing subsections, the Independent National Electoral Commission shall within seven days of the result of the election held under the said subsections, arrange for an election between the two candidates and a candidate at such election shall be deemed elected to the office of President if -

(a) he has a majority of votes cast at the election; and

(b) he has not less than one-quarter of the votes cast at the election in each of at least two-thirds of all the States in the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja

(5) In default of a candidate duly elected under subsection (4) of this section, the Independent National Electoral Commission shall, within seven days of the result of the election held under the aforesaid subsection (4), arrange for another election between the two candidates to which the subsection relates and a candidate at such election shall be deemed to have been duly elected to the office of President, if he has a majority of the votes cast at the election.
[/b]

So my interpretation of this section of our constitution is that, the winner should win with highest total number of votes and must have at least 25% votes in at least 25 states (including FCT). So if Buhari or Jonathan pull the highest number of votes without getting 25% votes in at least 25states, then we will be having a re-run election. From the confirmed and unconfirmed results I've read online, it seems we might be seeing history in the making cause this will be the first time we will have a re-run election for the presidency.... This is a mere possibility!!! I pray that the winner will unite our nation and make us stronger

God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria

http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm#FederalExecutive

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: There May Be An Election Re-run!!! by godunia(m): 5:32pm On Mar 30, 2015
A clear winner will emerge,there won't be need for a rerun

1 Like

Re: There May Be An Election Re-run!!! by Nobody: 5:34pm On Mar 30, 2015
I hope so too! But I just want people to be informed just in case it runs down to a re-run before some ppl start crying "murder"
Re: There May Be An Election Re-run!!! by Nobody: 5:36pm On Mar 30, 2015
You are on a long thing... Forget lipsrsealed
Re: There May Be An Election Re-run!!! by Adanora: 5:37pm On Mar 30, 2015
There won't b any re-run.

Jonathan has already won.

Let APC start d riot, we re ready for them

1 Like

Re: There May Be An Election Re-run!!! by sholikay(m): 5:43pm On Mar 30, 2015
Rerun ko, extra year ni...
Sai buhari jor..

1 Like

Re: There May Be An Election Re-run!!! by Vicotex(m): 5:47pm On Mar 30, 2015
Op keep calm, Buhari will commit suicide when the results are being announced
Re: There May Be An Election Re-run!!! by unitysheart(m): 5:47pm On Mar 30, 2015
Issokay. Make dem do announce first.
Re: There May Be An Election Re-run!!! by sova(m): 5:52pm On Mar 30, 2015
sholikay:
Rerun ko, extra year ni...
Sai buhari jor..
lol.......dnt mind dem dem
Re: There May Be An Election Re-run!!! by Caveatemptor(m): 6:03pm On Mar 30, 2015
OP,is actually making sense. The way things are going,this election appears heading for a re-run. Although I sincerely hope General Buhari wins it first time.
Re: There May Be An Election Re-run!!! by saasala(m): 6:06pm On Mar 30, 2015
Most sensible post ever ni o
Re: There May Be An Election Re-run!!! by Nobody: 7:11pm On Mar 30, 2015
Caveatemptor:
OP,is actually making sense. The way things are going,this election appears heading for a re-run. Although I sincerely hope General Buhari wins it first time.

A re-run could help calm tense nerves across the country though it will be stressful to go through another round of voting

(1) (Reply)

Did Any One Notoced The Guy Sitting Close To Jega Was Eating When Dat Pdp Member / How I Will Be Remembered - Uduaghan / Tribunal Orders Service Of Petition Paper On Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.