Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,418 members, 7,901,171 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 04:08 AM

Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? (33038 Views)

APC To Wike: Explain The N700m Poll Bribery Scam / Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? / Explain The Source Of Your Terrorists Tapes; PDP Tells APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by christopher123(m): 6:05pm On Mar 31, 2015
demandtruth:

Silly x2 you

reading, learning has become a nightmare to you because of
the "transformation" you enjoyed in education as supplied by Gej

you better go join Pej to enrol in a primary school

Article 134 (2) of the Nigerian Constitution stipulates that a presidential candidate will be duly elected after attaining both the highest number of votes cast; and has received at least a quarter of the votes at each of at least two-thirds of all the states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) of Abuja. If no candidate satisfies the requirement, a second election will be held between the two leading candidates within seven days from the pronouncement of the result.

Its self explanatory, apart from having the highest number of votes, d winner must garner at least 25% in at least 24 states even if he loses in some of d states.

FOR THE ILLITERATES AMONGST US HERE, LET ME BREAK IT DOWN THE WAY I WILL BREAK IT DOWN FOR MY 6 YEAR OLD SWEET GIRL

It will perhaps help you understand the spirit and principle of the rule first.

WHY HAVE THE 25% PROVISION?
In a country as diverse as Nigeria, this policy was put in place to ensure that any leader that is elected enjoys the mandate and support of a large part of Nigeria.

Basically, it is insufficient to have a large number of votes from one part of the country. For example, even if I won 100 million votes from Kano state alone, I would still need to demonstrate that I have support from the rest of Nigeria in addition to the large votes I got from Kano.

I would need to get at least 25% of the vote in 2/3rd of the states in Nigeria.

Nigeria has 36 states today, so I would have to get 25% of the votes in 24 states.

NOTE that I don't need to win the 24 states. I just need to get 25%.

So, to recap, to win the presidency in Nigeria, I need

1. A simple majority of the vote which I could get from a small section of the country (or even one state)

ALSO

2. Demonstrate I have support in a large part of the country by showing that at least 25% of voters in at least each of 24 states supports my candidacy.

3 Likes

Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by Ama80(f): 6:05pm On Mar 31, 2015
GogetterMD:
Wohoho! Nigerians are celebrating, PDP is sinking, results are trickling, INEC is announcing, APC is smiling, change is looming, youths are tweeting, facebookers are posting, whatsappers are broadcasting, south- south is rigging, international community is watching, orubebe is raking, obasanjo is warning, Yorubas are progressing, the North is jubilating, igbos are regretting, jonathing is parking, boko haram is relocating, Sure-p is closing, Tan is folding, fani Kayode is purging, Muazu is watching, Asari dokubo is wailing, oritsejafor is crying, patience jonathan is speaking and I am posting.

Meanwhile. .. .
Congratulations! It has been a long and strenuous battle to effect a change dating back days, weeks, months, years for some people! They looked down upon us, mocked us, derided our personalities. But we stood firm stood tall, and never wavered. Now we can go to sleep knowing our lives is secure, knowing we can wake up happy in the morning to reap the fruit of our labour, we can travel abroad without fearing foreign countries mocking us..... God bless GMB, God bless PYO, God bless Asiwaju(small) God bless Nigeria. Onto the future we march #teamGMB
Signed : gogettermd, on behalf of #teamGMB
I really need Ds laughter right now.im so pissed.
Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by koife(m): 6:07pm On Mar 31, 2015
solomonsojay:
LET'S GET THIS CLEARIFIED NOW...
Presidential election
Article 134 (2) of the Nigerian Constitution
stipulates that a presidential candidate will be
duly elected after attaining both the highest
number of votes cast; and has received at least a
quarter of the votes at each of at least two-thirds
of all the states and the Federal Capital Territory
(FCT) of Abuja. If no candidate satisfies the
requirement, a second election will be held
between the two leading candidates within seven
days from the pronouncement of the result.[9]

Buhari has Passed all the criteria already.
Thanks sir
Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by demandtruth: 6:12pm On Mar 31, 2015
christopher123:

Article 134 (2) of the Nigerian Constitution stipulates that a presidential candidate will be duly elected after attaining both the highest number of votes cast; and has received at least a quarter of the votes at each of at least two-thirds of all the states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) of Abuja. If no candidate satisfies the requirement, a second election will be held between the two leading candidates within seven days from the pronouncement of the result.

Its self explanatory, apart from having the highest number of votes, d winner must garner at least 25% in at least 24 states even if he loses in some of d states.

FOR THE ILLITERATES AMONGST US HERE, LET ME BREAK IT DOWN THE WAY I WILL BREAK IT DOWN FOR MY 6 YEAR OLD SWEET GIRL

In a country as diverse as Nigeria, this policy was put in place to ensure that any leader that is elected enjoys the mandate and support of a large part of Nigeria.

Basically, it is insufficient to have a large number of votes from one part of the country. For example, even if I won 100 million votes from Kano state alone, I would still need to demonstrate that I have support from the rest of Nigeria in addition to the large votes I got from Kano.

Nigeria has 36 states today, so I would have to get 25% of the votes in 24 states.

1. A simple majority of the vote which I could get from a small section of the country (or even one state)

ALSO

2. Demonstrate I have support in a large part of the country by showing that at least 25% of voters in at least each of 24 states supports my candidacy.

Pathetic.
Extremely unbelievable. Go ask for refund of school fees you paid

Your Jonathan has even conceded the election

Go view your CNN now
Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by christopher123(m): 6:13pm On Mar 31, 2015

FOR THE ILLITERATES AMONGST US HERE, LET ME BREAK IT DOWN THE WAY I WILL BREAK IT DOWN FOR A 6 YEAR OLD SWEET GIRL

ALSO

demandtruth:

Silly x2 you

reading, learning has become a nightmare to you because of
the "transformation" you enjoyed in education as supplied by Gej

you better go join Pej to enrol in a primary school
Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Mar 31, 2015

Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by Gwammen(m): 6:28pm On Mar 31, 2015
Isn't it obvious. Why not do the mathematics and give us the result
Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by koife(m): 7:04pm On Mar 31, 2015
Nice explanation y' all
Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by arnoldbaba: 8:42pm On Mar 31, 2015
so hin how many states did GEJ win?It is not even up to this 13 states you are talking about this is sweep
Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by jaz(m): 8:43pm On Mar 31, 2015
you dey here dey do analysis when inec has announced the winner of the presidential elections. guy let oga jona wait till 2019. otuoke is waiting to receive jona. hope they keep him there for good.
Re: Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? by nattyGENT: 11:09pm On Mar 31, 2015
kolawaxxy:
GMB/PYO qualified for 25% in all the 19 Northern
States and Yoriba's 6 States. All what they need
is second provision which is simple majority.
They
think as if a presidential candidate need
minimum of 25% in all the 36 states of the
federation. No. Never so at all. It is only in 24
states, i.e., Two-Third of 36 states. Now, Buhari
has escaped that requirement for he has
minimum of 25% in all the North's 19 states and
Yoruba's 6 states including Ekiti where he lost,
making 25 states already above what is required.
He even has 40% in Ekiti. All that remains for him
now is the second provision which requires
simple majority.

on this note, permit me to beg for likes.

if you believe gmb has won already, click like.
if you think gej can still make it, click share

una go shock when dem announce re-run.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ahmed Indimi And Zahra Buhari Celebrate 2nd Wedding Anniversary With Cute Photo / Buhari, Ambode, Sanwo-olu Collapse Campaign Teams, Float ICG / Ekiti Asphalt Plant Commences Operation (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.