Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,397 members, 7,978,264 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 01:02 AM

5 Things I Learnt From Nigeria's Insurgency-nairalander - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 5 Things I Learnt From Nigeria's Insurgency-nairalander (315 Views)

NAF Deploys Six Fighter Jets To End Boko Haram Insurgency / Lesson Learnt From The Death Of Kogi State Gubernatorial Candidate Audu Abubakar / France Pledges Weapons And Intelligence For Nigeria’s Insurgency war (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

5 Things I Learnt From Nigeria's Insurgency-nairalander by omexy4real(m): 8:05am On Apr 03, 2015
I know you may be wondering what i really want to talk about by the title of this article. am a Nigerian and i have had the opportunity to live in different regions of the northern Nigeria ever since i was a little boy. i schooled there till this very moment. i love the region and will continue to appreciate how it has been of great help to my life. even though i originate from the south-eastern Nigeria, i can speak the popular tongue of the north(Hausa Language). this is to show the influence it has had on me from childhood.

Insurgency befell the northern region around 2009 but as of then didn't affect much regions as the attacks were not expansive then. life was easy going in the region as young and old were living and facing daily challenges within their circle without any external imposed challenges on their dear lives. but the story changed when the life-threatening attacks knocked on the doors of the region where i resided(adamawa state).

It all started December 2011 with a massive market robbery which shocked everyone cause it was strange in the town were i lived. in fact before the incidence it sounds impossible but behold it was when it happened.some lives were lost. but by 2012, more were lost in January and that was the beginning of the dark dawn in my state of residence.

Last year October 29th 2014, there was a terrorist invasion which forced residents of the town of Mubi to migrate to cameroun and other nearby regions that were safe as at those moment of attacks.

There are some serious lessons i learned from all those moments which i will be sharing with you.

1. Death Can Come Anytime:

This is a common thought that may be natural by instincts but i experienced its meaning the moments there were serious gunshots near me on the day of the terror invasion. i came to have a clear view that a human being with great plans for the future can actually vanish at any moment irrespective of his/her personality.

In the quest to survive i came to know more on how life can cease when i heard that a lecturer of mine didn't survive the invasion. it was like a movie but it was real. i lost a friend of mine to it also. a young man so gentle with good plans for his future but he's gone now. out of all this experience, i have come to know that death can actually come anytime to anybody.

2. Lifetime Management:

Since the knowledge of how death could come without a notice was now in place, the wisdom of managing every opportunity of life that i have came into play. this is very crucial as it will help in the maintenance of focus towards achieving a quest before a time up which is unknown to anyone.

Everyday seen became +1 opportunity to be more serious with life in order to make the best out of it before it vanishes.

3. Appreciation Of Co-existence:

In the process of survival, i came to appreciate co-existence more. at those horrible moments, me and people i never knew became friends and help each other out in those moments of struggle for survival. the fact that there was mutual understanding made the pains involved bearable. the shock of the event was easily subsided as we discussed amongst ourselves.there is another life in co-existence!

4. Language a Life Helper:

Growing up in the northern Nigeria gave me an opportunity to learn Hausa language. i speak it all the time with friends and family not knowing that one day it will serve a great deal of help to me. while running away from the terror invasion, it was this same language i speak in a reflex manner that helped me and those that were with me to get the right route to get to cameroun.

At different stages of the journey when we got confused, we used the language as a tool for communicating with the locals on those mountain routes. even while at the camerounian border it was still serving a need for us as some persons there could speak and understand it. it is very necessary you learn at least a language of the region where you reside if you can.it's helpful when you least expect.

5. Self Value a Respect-Generator:

While we were at the Camerounian border, we were finding it hard to get a legal permit from their government to pass through their country and get back to Nigeria through Yola the state capital of Adamawa state. but the whole story changes when Professor Okoronka came into the picture. he dialogued with the immigration officers as well as their army for a safe pass. his personality brought us a blessing and at his end goodwill relationship and respect. even when he was allowed to pass alone with some Nigerian custom officers, he rejected the offer.
The Professor had a positive self-value that's why he gained so much respect by his acts of kindness. in this i saw how helpful having a self value can be of help not just to oneself but to others around.

The above are but a few of some knowledge which i was opportune to acquire by experience in the moments of insurgency attacks on North-eastern Nigeria. i hope you learned some things too. didn't you?

SOURCE: http://www.ikeaniblog.com/2015/04/5-things-i-learnt-from-nigerias.html
Re: 5 Things I Learnt From Nigeria's Insurgency-nairalander by donjuviam(m): 8:10am On Apr 03, 2015

(1) (Reply)

Photo Of The Day / Hmmmmmmm! / Sai Baba Should Turn To Sai Public Servant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.