Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,407 members, 7,881,485 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 08:58 PM

Ever Had This Experience, Guys? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Ever Had This Experience, Guys? (1390 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ever Had This Experience, Guys? by liljboy(m): 6:55pm On Apr 04, 2015

You drive into a filling station. You tell the attendant, how much you want to buy. He begins to sell and then tops at a figure, say N1000 and returns the nozzle to the pump. You then tell him, “I said N5000.” He says “Sorry, I thought you said N1000.”

You shrug. He removes the pump again from the pump, and the display is wiped off. He now proceeds to sell to you the outstanding balance.

It doesn’t matter how loudly you shout the amount you want to buy the first time, they

still do it. I had always wondered why they do that nonsense until last Tuesday at Mobil by Otedola Bridge on the Lagos Ibadan Exp Way.
I told the gentleman to fill the tank. He put the nozzle into my car’s fuel tank and stopped at N1000 and returned the nozzle to the pump. I was annoyed and it was obvious. I told him I wasn’t buying again. He panicked and told me to relax and that he hadn’t sold anything. He now proceeded to sell me exactly  the amount I wanted.

In essence, the N1000 that first appeared on the display was phony. He panicked because he thought if I decided to leave at that point when all he had sold to me was hot air, I would have noticed once I looked at my fuel gauge. And he thought it was better to confess and have me quietly leave.

Apparently, when they want to play this trick, they have a way of getting the pump to read to a predetermined figure without selling anything. When you protest that that is not the amount you want to buy, they now proceed to sell the balance to you properly. In essence, you have been shortchanged by the amount they pretend to have first sold to you.

So guys watch out!

1 Like

Re: Ever Had This Experience, Guys? by saaedlee: 6:59pm On Apr 04, 2015
Happend to me a couple of minutes ago @ Mobil along aminu kano wuse2
Re: Ever Had This Experience, Guys? by liljboy(m): 7:07pm On Apr 04, 2015
saaedlee:
Happend to me a couple of minutes ago @ Mobil along aminu kano wuse2
this is serious
Re: Ever Had This Experience, Guys? by oktawian(m): 10:28am On Apr 05, 2015
thanks for info cheesy
Re: Ever Had This Experience, Guys? by luvinhubby(m): 1:03pm On Apr 05, 2015
shocked shocked
Mods pls front page for others to be vigilant.

1 Like

Re: Ever Had This Experience, Guys? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Apr 05, 2015
Happened to me at thi Fuel Station at Jakande.
The guy actually put the nozzle in a jerry can, before putting it to the.. We didnt fix our eyes on him at the onset tho.
Re: Ever Had This Experience, Guys? by liljboy(m): 9:11pm On Apr 05, 2015
Bossforeva:
Happened to me at thi Fuel Station at Jakande.
The guy actually put the nozzle in a jerry can, before putting it to the.. We didnt fix our eyes on him at the onset tho.
jeez and what did u do to the attendant ?
Re: Ever Had This Experience, Guys? by lonelydora: 11:08pm On Apr 05, 2015
No matter what, I come down from the vehicle ask the attendant to clear the reading on the meter before going back to open my fuel tank door. It has been working for me like that.
Re: Ever Had This Experience, Guys? by liljboy(m): 7:35am On Apr 06, 2015
lonelydora:
No matter what, I come down from the vehicle ask the attendant to clear the reading on the meter before going back to open my fuel tank door. It has been working for me like that.
lol wise move..... mod front page pls
Re: Ever Had This Experience, Guys? by Nobody: 8:45am On Apr 06, 2015
liljboy:
jeez and what did u do to the attendant ?
he added more, till our fuel tank was full.
Re: Ever Had This Experience, Guys? by 9icetoo(m): 10:38am On Apr 06, 2015
lonelydora:
They can still recall previous sale. It has happened to me before at the same filling station that op was nearly scammed. The dude claimed he had put almost 20 litres in my car which takes roughly 40 litres. My gauge was just below half before started. I saw him wipe the meter before he started. Lol. Those guys are crooks. I have learnt never to take my eyes off the meter. I stop come down, open my fuel filler cap myself, look at your meter and then give you the go ahead. If they ask me "oga how much?". I simply tell them to continue until I tell them to stop. That way they don't even know whether to give me hot air or fuel. Beware of that Mobil.
Re: Ever Had This Experience, Guys? by lonelydora: 11:13am On Apr 06, 2015
9icetoo:
I stop come down, open my fuel filler cap myself, look at your meter and then give you the go ahead. If they ask me "oga how much?". I simply tell them to continue until I tell them to stop. That way they don't even know whether to give me hot air or fuel. Beware of that Mobil.

Exactly what I do. I tell them to keep dispensing until I say stop. If you start dispensing before I say start or dispense and stop at a time., I won't pay. It has worked for me many times.

1 Like

Re: Ever Had This Experience, Guys? by blazetitov: 10:57am On Apr 07, 2015
Chai!! A lady did exactly that same thing to me at the filling station(conoil) located at National, dats after Along bus stop ikeja. I noticed the fuel was not up to normal level but i just moved on because she first sold N350 and then stopped. Na wa oo. Nigerians need to change themselves indeed. Thanks for the info.
Re: Ever Had This Experience, Guys? by liljboy(m): 11:17am On Apr 07, 2015
Marpol lomomike
Re: Ever Had This Experience, Guys? by Marpol: 1:13pm On Apr 07, 2015
liljboy:
Marpol lomomike

Mobil filling station Magodo, I drove there, was too lazy to come down from the car, told the attendant to fill up the tank, all of a sudden he told me PHCN had taken light and they had to switch to generator meanwhile his colleagues were still selling, showed me that he had dispensed N800.

He then proceeded to wipe it and fill my tank. I was livid but there was nothing I could do cos I set myself up to be ripped off.
Re: Ever Had This Experience, Guys? by clemz85(m): 3:43pm On Apr 07, 2015
yes, one guy wanted to job me one time, thank God for
naira land because I learnt it on a thread like this,
the guy didn't know that I got my eyes fix on the position of the 'dot' ,
Re: Ever Had This Experience, Guys? by uwemjack(m): 8:47pm On Apr 07, 2015
It happened to me oh!
My tank was a little below the quarter mark so I told the attendant to fill up my tank he sold up to 1100 worth of fuel and told me that the pump stopped by itself but that I should look at the amount sold, I saw the amount before he cleared and started selling again he sold up to 4700 and said it was full! So the total I was supposed to pay was 5800. I asked him to look at my fuel gauge which will only start moving after I start the car, I then calmly brought out the receipts of previous purchases, normally if my guage enters red 5700 will fill my tank. I then calmly asked him to explain what could have gone wrong and he was saying jargons!
So I gave him 5k and demanded for my change he gave me my change and I drove off.

I know the litres of fuel required to fill my tank at each guage level so I normally act unconcerned cos I like to catch them at their game.

Some attendants will chat u up just to distract

1 Like

Re: Ever Had This Experience, Guys? by liljboy(m): 10:00pm On Apr 07, 2015
uwemjack:
It happened to me oh!
My tank was a little below the quarter mark so I told the attendant to fill up my tank he sold up to 1100 worth of fuel and told me that the pump stopped by itself but that I should look at the amount sold, I saw the amount before he cleared and started selling again he sold up to 4700 and said it was full! So the total I was supposed to pay was 5800. I asked him to look at my fuel gauge which will only start moving after I start the car, I then calmly brought out the receipts of previous purchases, normally if my guage enters red 5700 will fill my tank. I then calmly asked him to explain what could have gone wrong and he was saying jargons!
So I gave him 5k and demanded for my change he gave me my change and I drove off.

I know the litres of fuel required to fill my tank at each guage level so I normally act unconcerned cos I like to catch them at their game.

Some attendants will chat u up just to distract

mogbe!!!!!! you Don old for this brain business o hahaa

1 Like

Re: Ever Had This Experience, Guys? by GenOrumov: 11:41pm On Apr 08, 2015
@ liljboy, 9icetoo and marpol. If you guys are just noticing that that Mobil filling station is notorious for sharp practices, then I will say welcome to Lagos.

I was scammed by them way back in 2011. "It was nepa has taken light trick that was used on me."

Infact I consider all Mobil stations to be rogues. I can never buy fuel from Mobil again in my life unless there is fuel scarcity and my gauge is on empty.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

2005 Pontiac Vibe Front Bumper Needed.... / What Is The Way Out / Toyota Engine Oil In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.