Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,150 members, 7,963,762 topics. Date: Tuesday, 01 October 2024 at 06:18 PM

I Have Had Enough Of Politics –jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Have Had Enough Of Politics –jonathan (714 Views)

Politics: Jonathan Speaks At Last / I Wasn’t Interested In Politics – Jonathan Says / I Wasn’t Interested In Politics –jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Have Had Enough Of Politics –jonathan by Azwealth(m): 7:39am On Apr 06, 2015
President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday took a deep reflection on his political sojourn in the country and declared himself the luckiest Nigerian, saying he has had enough of his own share of the country’s governance positions.
He also implored Nigerians to make sacrifices to enable the incoming administration of the president-elect, General Muhmmadu Buhari (retd), to survive.
Speaking when Vice President Namadi Sambo led Abuja residents to pay him an Easter homage at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, the president, who noted that whoever became president was immaterial, simply said of himself: “I think it is enough.”
Going down memory lane to review his political life in the country, from when he was a deputy governor in Bayelsa to when he became the president of Nigeria, Jonathan said he was no doubt the luckiest Nigerian.
He said, “For me as an individual, this Easter coincides with the time I am leaving, but I always say that I am one of the luckiest Nigerians. I am yet to see somebody luckier than me. From 1999, I have been in the hands of government for 16 years. Not just in government as a parliamentarian – because if you are a Senator or House of Representatives member, you take care of yourself, you live in your own house – I was in a cage, being taken care of by the government. From May 29, 1999 to date; 16 good years. I think it is enough and I am happy, help me to thank God for that. I will continue to thank Nigerians for giving me that privilege.
“I became a deputy governor because Bayelsans voted for me and my governor then. I became a vice president because Nigerians voted for Yar’Adua and myself. I continued in 2011 because Nigerians voted for me and Architect Namadi Sambo. I have to thank all Nigerians. Wherever I will be, I will remain grateful to this great country. Today is a glorious day for me.”
Urging Nigerians to reflect on the Easter celebration which is a period of sacrifice, he advised them to be ready to make sacrifices for the survival of the government, not minding who is the president is at any given time.
Noting that nation building depends on sacrifice and patriotism, he observed that it was for this reason that soldiers and policemen die daily in their ongoing battle against the Boko Haram insurgents to protect the lives of Nigerians.
Rallying support for the incoming Buhari administration, Jonathan said: “Now, it is not about supporting Jonathan or government. And now Buhari is coming on board, it is not about supporting Burhari or government, but what sacrifice, as individual, are you willing to make for government and for the nation.
“If you are a businessman and you say you are supporting government but you don’t pay tax, how do you expect that government to survive? “That government will not survive
He spoke about the need for Nigerians to be patriotic to the nation’s cause rather show blind loyalty to individuals.
“While in Bayelsa State as a deputy governor, people used to come to me to say I’m loyal. Don’t tell me you are loyal, tell me I’m patriotic to the country and that you believe in Bayelsa State,” he said.
He reiterated the need for countrymen to make sacrifices for their nation to move forward, saying: “Whenever I travel to different countries, I see things work. Those things didn’t fall down as manna; people made sacrifices. Therefore, in Nigeria people must also be ready to make the required sacrifice. Whoever becomes president is immaterial so long as the citizens are happy.”
The president, however, hinted that many Nigerians were not contributing their quota for the country to make the required level of advancement.
“In ECOWAS sub-region,” he noted, “Nigeria has the lowest VAT payment (value added tax) at five per cent, while other countries pay up to 12 per cent.
“If for instance Buhari decided to increase VAT from five to 10 per cent, will Nigerians support him? That is sacrifice and we must make sacrifices. Nation building depends on the sacrifice of individuals and the patriotism of the citizens; these are two key elements. We must be ready to sacrifice for our nation.”
The First Lady, Dame Patience Jonathan, was absent at both the church service and the Easter homage.
LEADERSHIP gathered that since after the March 28 presidential poll where her husband was defeated by Buhari, Mrs Jonathan and the president’s mother as well as their children have not returned to Abuja from Otuoke where they had gone to cast their votes during the election.
Former Information Minister, Mr Labaran Maku, made a surprise appearance at the Easter homage.
This was the first time that Maku had come to Aso Villa after defecting to the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) to pursue his governorship ambition after losing the PDP primaries in Nasarawa State.

Source: www.leadership.ng/news/423380/i-have-had-enough-of-politics-jonathan
Re: I Have Had Enough Of Politics –jonathan by fromnigeria(m): 7:57am On Apr 06, 2015
I saw on your face long ago, you're not a born politician.

(1) (Reply)

12 Unsuccessfull Probes Under Goodluck Jonathan / I Am Looking Forward To Buhari Probing Me And My Ministers – President Jonathan / Editorial: Wole Soyinka And The Igbo Question (1)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.