Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,198 members, 7,873,885 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:34 PM

Here they come again - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Here they come again (1375 Views)

'just In' Before They Come And Tell Us That Asaba Is No Longer An Igbo City / Biafra: Igbos Una Don Come Again. / View Election Results As They Come In , You Can Also Upload Yours (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Here they come again by Allenpowered(m): 1:13pm On May 13, 2005
The house of representatives have compiled a list of 16 impeachable offences some of this offences are:
*Reckless disregard of the Supreme Court judgment in the case of the management of Lagos State local government funds.
*Extra-budgetary spending.

*Falsification of 2005 budget.
*Non-implementation of budgets and disregard for the rule of law.
*Abuse of power.

*Violation or misuse of section 305 of the constitution. The section deals with the declaration of state of emergency.

*Loan to Sao-Tome and Principe and Ghana.

*Violation of section 83 (1&2) of the constitution. The section provides that “The National Assembly may by law make provisions for the establishment of a contingencies fund for the federation and for authorising the president if satisfied that there has arisen and urgent and unforeseen need for expenditure for which no other provision exists, to make advances from the fund to meet the need.

“(ii) Where any advance is made in accordance with the provisions of this section, a supplementary Appropriation Bill shall be introduced as soon as possible for the purpose of replacing the amount so advanced.
lAccomplice in the Anambra State saga, which bothers on the security of that state and the nation in general.

lObstruction by not providing the National Assembly with his ministry’s books as the Minister of Petroleum Affairs.
lAccomplice in the disregard or violation of House Resolution with regards to the demolition of houses in Kubwa.

lPromoting a university education policy that negates section18 (1,c), as well as negates values emphasized by section 4(3) of the constitution.
lPromoting an economic policy that negates the provisions of section 15 of the constitution.
lA privatisation policy that violates sections 162(c&d) and 15(5) of the constitution.

lViolation of section 15(5) of the constitution by employing two of his children and making his son a de facto oil minister.
lOn the issue of making el-Rufai the chairman of the FCT which is unconstitutional.

Twenty-four more Reps were said to have joined the rank of the Obasanjo-must-go group, bringing the total to 184.

Vanguard gathered yesterday that the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Alhaji Aminu Masari, had appealed to Alhaji Nadabo to slow down the tempo of his mobilisation in order not to over-heat the system. Reps Nadabo confirmed this development as he told Vanguard that the leadership was talking with him.
He, however, revealed that two members of the House of Representatives forcefully attempted to snatch the list from his custody “but I got my list back.”

Meanwhile, some members of the House of Representatives have described the impeachment plot by some of their colleagues as ill-timed and unnecessary.

Reps. Ajah Mbah said “this is not the time for such thing. What we should be doing is to join hands with the executive to ensure that the country’s debt is cancelled. If we embark on any impeachment now, we would be sending a wrong message.”

The leader of the Forum for Democracy and Good Governance, Dr Usman Bugaje, however, warned those who felt that the move by the legislators was not serious to have a rethink. “As far as I know, we are resolved on this issue. I cannot speak of the leadership but I know the resolve of members is very strong,” he said.

this is reminiscent of what transpired between the executive and the national assembly in the 4th republic.

i wonder when are we going to learn

http://www.punchng.com/main/article01
http://www.vanguardngr.com/articles/2002/headline/f113052005.html
Re: Here they come again by Ra(f): 11:03pm On May 14, 2005
Nigeria we hail thee!!!

I guess we all know what all the fuss about impeaching OBJ is about; the ex-soldier is thoroughly 'grinding' on toes in his applaudable effort to battle corruption.

As always, I pray and wish him the best.
Re: Here they come again by diakim(m): 9:38am On May 16, 2005
Nothing is going to come out of this.

Remember, the samething happened during President Obasanjo's first term, when the then Speaker of the House of Representative, Ghalli Nahba was trying to impeach the President. At the end, they all settled after OBJ has granted them their wish. The President has his own way of settling them. So, there is no cause for alarm.
Re: Here they come again by taopheek(m): 11:07am On May 31, 2005
Impeachment or not personally i think the president has its own short coming and the reps needs all the respect they can get but sincerely the whole problem has to do with the kind of system that we run and for as long as we run the presidential system we are bound to have all this imbroglo.
The best system for the society is parliamentary and i stand to be corrected.
Re: Here they come again by Greatpeter(m): 11:10am On Jul 06, 2005
Where are the Reps now.
Do they have the liver?
They will never eat cockroach.
Re: Here they come again by inquisitiv: 10:48pm On Oct 03, 2008
dont allow this thread die ooooooooooo grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Funsho Williams A Man Of Few Words / Nigeria Ranks 148 On The 2007 Corruption Perception Index / Beware Of Goodluck!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.