Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,364 members, 7,923,472 topics. Date: Saturday, 17 August 2024 at 07:32 AM

Mathematics Made Easy - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Mathematics Made Easy (1007 Views)

MATHEMATICS Made Easy...#rhemabotics / 2015 Cowbell Mathematics Champion, Akinkuowo Honoured By School. / Mathematics Made Easy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Mathematics Made Easy by dodoniyi: 5:28pm On Apr 07, 2015
■ How a teacher’s turning of mathematical concepts into rap songs made all his students to pass WAEC math exam, with distinction

BY SAM OTTI

When Dr. Dikeoha Okwu, an Enugu-based mathematician, introduced a simplified way of teaching mathematics in school, called Dikeohamatics, he was mocked by cynics. His hope of making Dikeohamatics something of a game for mathematics-scared students floundered because of lack of support from his fatherland.
However, the mathematics teacher of Loral International Boarding School, Igbesa, Ogun State, Mr Anyanwu Emmanuel Obioha, has proved that the teaching, and learning of mathematics, can be made fun, like Okwu tried to do with Dikeohamatics. His introduction of humour in his mathematics class has become, not only something of success therapy to his students, but has also helped them to bring laurels to the school.
Although Anyanwu confessed, in a chat with Education Review, that he’d never heared of Dikeohamatics that turned mathematics into fun, all the same, he was quick to admit that his use of song/humour in teaching the subject has been highly effective. Reports indicate that most students develop phobia for mathematics because of the nebulous teaching methods of subject teachers.
The efficacy of employing song and humour to teach the subject is now underscored by the wonderful results posted by the students of Loral International Boarding Secondary School, Igbesa, Ogun State, in the 2014 West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE). As a matter of fact, all the 65 candidates that sat for the subject came out in flying colours. While 42 had A1, 18 B2, five had B3. There was no ordinary pass result or failure in the subject.
Comparing this remarkable achievement with the mass failure recorded nationwide, in which only 31% of the candidates obtained five credits including English and Mathematics makes the result more commendable. According to West African Examination Council (WAEC), only 529, 425 students (31.28 per cent) obtained five credits including English and Mathematics.
WAEC candidates had not fared better in previous years either. For example, in 2012 WASSCE, 649,156 candidates (38.81 per cent) had credits in the two core subjects. That record was even poorer in 2013 when 610,334 (36.57 per cent) of the candidates obtained five credits including English Language and Maths while the record declined more in 2014 WASSCE when 529,425 candidates, representing 31.28 per cent, recorded five credits in the two important subjects.
At the FESTAC campus of the school, performance in mathematics was also commendable. Out of the 45 students that sat for the exam, two had A1, four B2, 25 B3, nine C4, five C5, while one made C6. As is the case with the result of their counterparts at Igbesa, there was no failure in the subject.
When Education Review asked Anyanwu the teaching methodology he used in producing the amazing result in the subject, he said: “In the country today, comedy is reigning. Music is reigning. When I am teaching, I use what I call ‘Mathsmusic.’ By it, I turn into rap songs or music those mathematical concepts I know they will find difficult to understand when I am teaching. If they are having a programme now and the students have the opportunity to mimic the teachers, that’s one of the areas that they mimic me.”
He said he found out that students often have problem of manipulating minus and plus operations, a problem that cuts across all mathematics levels. So, he formed rap songs for different mathematical formulas and presented them in class while teaching. One of the rap songs goes like this:
Plus and minus operation
Take away the smaller from the bigger
And give your result the sign of the bigger

Anyanwu said students from JS1 to SS3, have become quite familiar with the song, noting that they will never forget it in a hurry throughout their lifetime. Another of the ‘mathsmusic’ rap songs goes like this:

When a minus sign comes before a bracket
All the signs, all the signs, all the signs will change to the opposite sign

He continued: “Students dance to it. These are the ways I coin music on different topics and formulas to carry them along. Also in the teaching of bearing, there is what I call ‘widow/widower relationship’ that teaches them how to use sign and cause.”
Anyanwu said that teachers should be flexible in their use of teaching methodologies in order to attract and hold students’ attention.
“There are some teachers that are naturally made to impart knowledge,” he observed. “If you made first class in mathematics, it is not a guarantee that you can impart the knowledge of the subject very well. Somebody with third class in mathematics may end up being a more effective and more successful teacher in it than a first class holder. Some people are made to teach; others acquire the knowledge but are not cut out for teaching.”
Anyanwu, a pioneer graduate of mathematics from the Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, describes himself as a natural comedian.
“Sometimes people ask me, ‘what are you doing in the classroom? This is not your area. Your area is in the entertainment industry where people are making lots of money through comedy,’ he said. “I know that my students need comedy in class and I found out that they are excited each time I enter their class. It is difficult not to pay attention because they will be expecting some jokes/songs from me.”
The man, who has taught mathematics for over 20 years, said his songs/jokes work perfectly well as an attention-sustaining device in class as well as cures students of phobia for the subject.
“When I throw a joke at them, they would laugh and laugh,” he recalled. “Then I would proceed with my lesson. I know they would be waiting for the next thing I would say. Although they would wish the joke or song continued, since I am there to impart knowledge as a teacher, I would use that opportunity to introduce what I have for them that moment. I would tell them: ‘let me just finish this calculation and I will tell you the rest of the story or sing to you the rest of the song.’ They would be all ears waiting to know what happens next.  You would discover that the attention level would be higher that when you had not introduced any joke or song. I also learnt that if I promised to tell them the rest of the story, I must not fail them.”
The mathematics teacher told Education Review that children naturally love entertainment, so he uses the jokes/song baits to catch them. He said he selects suitable jokes/songs that would help him achieve a desirable purpose. Although he makes good use of humour, that doesn’t prevent him from disciplining erring students.
“Everything is designed to get their attention. If I do all these things and I find someone doing a different thing, not in agreement with what is expected from them, of course, I usually punish such students,” he said. “It is a taboo not to have your materials in my class. If I give you an assignment, you must do it. ”
Although the students excelled in math and in the sciences, the Senior Principal, Ezinne Mariam Uzuegbunam, said the teachers would not rest on their oars. According to her, success comes only through hard work and diligence in studies.
To sustain the students’ interest in the sciences, the school recently organized a Technology/Business Day to sensitize them on the importance of science. An SS 2 student of the school, Titiloye Tayo, discussed several ways that technology would change the world by 2025.
According to him, conventional teaching would be phased out, as online courses for students take over at all levels of education. He believes that digital textbooks, interactive books and social media would usher in a new world of learning that would change the world forever.
In a related development, Mrs Toyin Nwosu, the amiable wife of Mr. Steve Nwosu, Executive Director, Corporate Services of The Sun Publishing Ltd, demonstrated her passion for music recently, during an open dancing funfair for mothers at the Loral International Nursery and Primary School, Igbesa, Ogun State.
Mrs Nwosu, an esteemed guest at the 26th annual inter-house sporting fest of the school, spiced up the fest as the mother-of-the-day. Her husband, Steve, though absent as the father-of-the day at the colourful event, had, in his wife, a worthy representative.
Dressed in Real Madrid sports’ wear, Mrs Nwosu scored the winning goal of the tournament with a scintillating performance on the dance floor. As an annual ritual, the school had invited parents to the dance floor to compete for prizes to round off the sports fest. The bounden duty of leading the womenfolk fell on Mrs Nwosu, the mother-of-the-day.
It was a task she executed enthusiastically as she sprang to her feet and pleaded with the DJ not to spoil their performance with old music. The choice of ‘Sekem’ and ‘Dorobuci’ songs was a prayer answered, as she and other excited women dug their feet into the grassy field, bending and twisting their flexible bodies to the sound of the music. Other guests watched with awe, while clapping and yelling for the queen of the dance floor. The women’s knowledge of the ‘Dorobuci’ song became clear when some of the young mothers in the dance train started miming the song line by line.
One of the parents, who gave his name as Mike, said a fair assessment of the women’s performances would evidently crown the mother-of-the-day as the best dancer. The thrilling performance of the women sent a strong message to the men, who instructively settled for an ‘old school’ music to save their faces. The sight of pot-bellied daddies panting on the dance floor threw the guests into laughter.
It was a glorious moment for the Loral Managing Director, Chief Crawford Ndukwe, who led the dance for men. Teachers and parents joined the dance train, struggling with their steps and dragging their legs slowly to the finish line.
The sports event was a spectacular moment for the pupils of the school, who competed for various prizes in field and track events under the watchful eyes of the officers of the Athletics Federation of Nigeria. The pupils also participated in the swimming competition held at their multi-million naira ultra-modern swimming pool.
Addressing the guests, the Headmistress of the Festac Town campus of the school, Ezinne Cecilia Elendu, emphasised the need for regular exercises for parents, to help them keep fit. According to her, clapping of hands and cheering at the performance of athletes constitute an exercise that would keep the body in a good shape.
Elendu said Loral School organise the annual sports fest among four Blue, Red, Green and Yellow houses to teach the importance of sports in child training and development. She said sports complements academics in total child development.
“In Loral School, we train the total child and leaders of tomorrow,” she remarked. “We train children to exhibit their God-endowed talents and potentials. In today’s world, many people, both men and women, have achieved success and fame through sports.”
Elendu noted that academic excellence should not be seen as the only parameters for success in life. According to her, several sports men and women conquered the world with their skills, acquiring, in the process, fame, fortune and self-actualisation.

SOURCE :

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=113154

(1) (Reply)

ADVICE HIM: He Wants To Retake Waec Due To The Age Demand Of Todays Job Adverts. / Easiest Nigerian Universities To Get Into? / OAU Loses Yet Another Lecturer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.