Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,956 members, 7,936,052 topics. Date: Friday, 30 August 2024 at 10:42 PM

Remember These...even When Power Supply Was Stable - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Remember These...even When Power Supply Was Stable (1001 Views)

Let's See How Old You Are: Can You Remember This chewing gum? / Ladies Do You Remember This Doll? / Do You Remember This Lamp? Share Your Experiences Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remember These...even When Power Supply Was Stable by YoungestMuller(m): 7:38pm On Apr 09, 2015

Before the days of modern,
electrically-powered irons, housewives and laundresses would use old-fashioned, solid metal flatirons such as this one: Flatirons like these were filled with red hot coals from the kitchen stove and once the metal was hot enough, they'd be used to quite literally, iron out the wrinkles in your clothes.

Of course, if you didn’t have the benefit of a coal- heated iron, you would have to make do with an even older technology, solid metal irons heated on the stove, like these: Irons like these were placed on hearths next to open fires, or on the kitchen stove, to heat them up until they were scorching hot. Because the heat from the iron would eventually disappate, housewives would often have two, three or even four such irons on their stoves or fireplaces so that when one iron cooled down, they could put it back on the hearth and just pick up another one and continue with their work. It’s where the phrase “to have many irons in the fire” comes from, meaning that you always had something else to fall back on.

You Remember or You still make use

Re: Remember These...even When Power Supply Was Stable by kolomax(m): 7:51pm On Apr 09, 2015
Chaiiii back then
Re: Remember These...even When Power Supply Was Stable by emisquare99: 7:59pm On Apr 09, 2015
I burn my dress wella with those funny looking iron grin
Re: Remember These...even When Power Supply Was Stable by YoungestMuller(m): 8:05pm On Apr 09, 2015

Na mai skin suffer am o...I even develop muscle self

emisquare99:
I burn my dress wella with those funny looking iron grin
Re: Remember These...even When Power Supply Was Stable by Nobody: 9:44pm On Apr 09, 2015
I remember dis iron.

(1) (Reply)

Will I Ever Be Happy Again After The Loss Of My Only Child? / . / WAEC MATHEMATICS E-BOOK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.