Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,957 members, 7,873,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 07:33 AM

Rivers To Regulate Church Activities - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rivers To Regulate Church Activities (1097 Views)

Patience Is Not In Rivers To Fight Amaechi / Oil Revenue: Rivers To Be Refunded N17.5B From Seven States / Rivers To Get 24-hour Power Supply By December (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rivers To Regulate Church Activities by earTHMama: 4:18pm On Jan 27, 2009
Rivers to regulate church activities
From RoseAnn Chikereuba, Port Harcourt

TO check noise pollution, the Rivers State Government has said that from April this year, it would begin to regulate the activities of churches in the state.

The state government said the decision was aimed at improving the environment. It lamented that indiscriminate flying of banners, posters and horn- speakers by churches constituted noise pollution.

Briefing journalists after a close door meeting with some religious leaders and Local Council Chairmen in Le Meridien Hotel, Port Harcourt yesterday, the Commissioner for Environment, Mr. Kingsley Chinda said the parley was held to look at issues that bordered on range from indiscriminate activities of some churches in the state which according to him, discoloured the environment.

He explained that the state government and the church leaders had agreed on ways to ameliorate the situation. "The hanging of horn -speakers outside the church will be stopped completely, there will be no more indiscriminate flying of banners and posters, conditions would be given for vigil while crusades would be considered only with appropriate regulations and due process"

The commissioner announced that three months grace has been given to all churches in the state to adjust themselves and adhere to the rules and warned that as from April 2009, there would be strict enforcement of the law.

He said: "We know that having agreed within ourselves, it will not really be enforcement but we hope that the churches will corporate with the government to make Rivers State a better place; we have given three months grace because we believe the period is sufficient to pass the messages across to he people all over the out state".

He added, "We are not banning crusades but appropriate regulations would be followed, whenever we need to carry out a religious carnival. There is need to follow due process to ensure we get the necessary permit. We should not outlaw completely, we should not disturb our neighborhood in the course of serving God. Moslems may be affected as well".

On his part, the Chairman of the Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria (PFN), Port Harcourt , Eugene Ogu said the government was determined to implement the policy so as to bring decency in the state. He urged the churches to cooperate and support the government.

His words: " We all travel abroad and we appreciate the decency that we see there even the bible says let all things be done with decency .So no body should contravene the law; we have seen the government's seriousness so let us cooperate and support him".

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/jan/24/18.html
Re: Rivers To Regulate Church Activities by earTHMama: 4:19pm On Jan 27, 2009
People can now sleep peacefully at night.
Re: Rivers To Regulate Church Activities by bindex(m): 4:32pm On Jan 27, 2009
Very welcome development.
Re: Rivers To Regulate Church Activities by earTHMama: 4:44pm On Jan 27, 2009
The way most of these pentecostal preachers use noise to intimidate people into listening to their sermon in Nigeria is alarming. I hope they attach jail sentence to defaulters.
Re: Rivers To Regulate Church Activities by jamace(m): 4:51pm On Jan 27, 2009
Good decision. After all, the harder they shout preach the more corruption we witness in the society.
Re: Rivers To Regulate Church Activities by earTHMama: 5:02pm On Jan 27, 2009
Good decision. After all, the harder they shout preach the more corruption we witness in the society.

Churches are not responsible for the corruption in the society. If anything, they help to curtail it. embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Rivers To Regulate Church Activities by mustafar1: 5:23pm On Jan 27, 2009
my friend asked me,"why do nigerians love God so much?" i responded, because we can hide all our shortcomings and attrocitieswe carry out under his name and he'll still love us back
Re: Rivers To Regulate Church Activities by jamace(m): 7:06am On Jan 28, 2009
Churches are not responsible for the corruption in the society. If anything, they help to curtail it.

Ok, it is the people in the church/mosque that are corrupt tongue.
Re: Rivers To Regulate Church Activities by AloyEmeka9: 7:12am On Jan 28, 2009
No more morning criers in PH?
Re: Rivers To Regulate Church Activities by Nobody: 8:08am On Jan 28, 2009
Aaaaaaaaagh, finally! I went to secondary in PH. believe me, the noise no be joke. you dont have to live close to a church or mosque to feel the pain and discomfort.

this is definitely a step in the right direction.

they also need to ban people from preaching/shouting very early in the morning.

Damn man, can I get some sleep?
Re: Rivers To Regulate Church Activities by annyplenty(m): 8:34am On Jan 28, 2009
i am awaiting the reactions of the religious bodies
Re: Rivers To Regulate Church Activities by otokx(m): 1:16pm On Jan 28, 2009
a very welcome development
Re: Rivers To Regulate Church Activities by earTHMama: 3:14am On Jan 30, 2009
Will they keep the rules?
Re: Rivers To Regulate Church Activities by JosBoy4Lif(m): 3:28am On Jan 30, 2009
Weytin go happen to my alarm clock tongue
Re: Rivers To Regulate Church Activities by bawomolo(m): 5:45am On Jan 30, 2009
good news
Re: Rivers To Regulate Church Activities by Nobody: 8:10am On Jan 30, 2009
JosBoy4Lif:

Weytin go happen to my alarm clock tongue

hahaahahahahahhahahaahhha. o boy, you funny
Re: Rivers To Regulate Church Activities by jamace(m): 12:03pm On Jan 30, 2009
Churches/mosques are too many that is why their prayers are not effective. I think they should undergo re-capitalisation re-consolidation like our banks angry.
Re: Rivers To Regulate Church Activities by bracelet: 1:22pm On Jan 30, 2009
Churches don so far. Government will not touch a mosque with a pole but when its a church because christians are so docile angry every politician will bush them around.
Re: Rivers To Regulate Church Activities by bracelet: 1:59pm On Jan 30, 2009
Churches don so far. Government will not touch a mosque with a pole but when its a church because christians are so docile every politician will push them around.
Re: Rivers To Regulate Church Activities by earTHMama: 4:05pm On Jan 30, 2009
Churches don so far. Government will not touch a mosque with a pole but when its a church because christians are so docile every politician will push them around.
Christians are not docile rather they are peace loving and they believe their God will fight for them and not their dagger. undecided undecided
Re: Rivers To Regulate Church Activities by mijd(m): 11:36pm On Jan 30, 2009
. [/color][color=#990000][color=#990000][/color]
earTHMama:

Christians are not docile rather they are peace loving and they believe their God will fight for them and not their dagger. undecided undecided

Thank you earTHMama and please they should be reminded of the spurious and distubing blaring of siren in the town ship that is environmental friendly according to them. Since they want to learn from so-called advanced countries: how often did they hear a siren when they went to those countries, except for emergency trucks like fire and ambulances?

To be honest the rate or frequency of these sirens is disturbing, infact an average of about four sirens are blaring within and around the city almost every 30mins - I stand to be corrected here - from town to Forces Avenue to Eastern by-pass to trans-Amadi to Oluobasanjo road to Ekwere road to Aba road to etc, etc
Re: Rivers To Regulate Church Activities by earTHMama: 9:10am On Jan 31, 2009

To be honest the rate or frequency of these sirens is disturbing, infact an average of about four sirens are blaring within and around the city almost every 30mins - I stand to be corrected here - from town to Forces Avenue to Eastern by-pass to trans-Amadi to Oluobasanjo road to Ekwere road to Aba road to etc, etc
roflmao cheesy
Re: Rivers To Regulate Church Activities by goodass(m): 1:27pm On Feb 01, 2009
me i no w8 4 govt sef, i don go protest dt 12md9t vigil noise in my neighborhood. now they dsconnect d external speakers. wia dem sense b4?

(1) (Reply)

Who Is This? / Alao Akala Vs Oyo State Lecturers (poly & College Of Education) / Yaradua Govt Stop Buhari Pension And Withdrew His official Vehicle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.