Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,454 members, 7,964,857 topics. Date: Wednesday, 02 October 2024 at 10:39 PM

Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote (4656 Views)

Poll: Should Nigerian Citizens Abroad Be Allowed To Vote?

Yes: 75% (34 votes)
No: 24% (11 votes)
This poll has ended

Court Orders INEC To Register Young Democratic Party / Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. / 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by eldee(m): 7:17pm On Jan 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Mine is about 10 hours drive. And worse, when you get there, the office might not be open. ROFLMAO!! Or you are told you will need to go to another state for that service. And there phone service stinks!
Don't fret, it'll open on election day
That's the only way they can give the 'everything's okay' face when Beebs come visiting
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by JosBoy4Lif(m): 7:19pm On Jan 28, 2009
I voted no, it just sounds like another avenue for "proxy" corrupt voting.
I think what Nigeria needs to do is improve its current voting system and get rid of the rigging before they should fathom such an idea.
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by Kobojunkie: 7:21pm On Jan 28, 2009
eldee:

The nearest embassy?? C'mon, I live in London!!!
And for people that live in other parts of the UK, it's just a train journey away
If they could rush to the High Commission to report stolen passports, the it will most def be easy to go there to vote.
As I said, it's only for those that care bout Nigeria

God knows I won't shift an eyebrow if Nigeria gave George Bush honourary presidency tongue

I don't live in the UK, so we here are sort of limited. I think there are like 6 of those here, last time I checked. I don't know of anyone running to the high commission ( Nigerian) to report stolen passport. I didn't even worry when mine went missing a couple of weeks ago. There are just some wahala's you just prefer to spare yourself. I know how much of a headache it was to renew it, and then get a replacement for an expired one. Now to go through the same for a missing one? I will wait until when I need it next to do all that again. Roflmao!!!

I do care, I just get tired of the sloppy service I get is all.
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by Kobojunkie: 7:22pm On Jan 28, 2009
JosBoy4Lif:

I voted no, it just sounds like another avenue for "proxy" corrupt voting.
I think what Nigeria needs to do is improve its current voting system and get rid of the rigging before they should fathom such an idea.

Agreed. Smells of some plot to take out more billions for the next couple of years for yet another White elephant project!
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by mustafar1: 7:24pm On Jan 28, 2009
eldee:

The nearest embassy?? C'mon, I live in London!!!
And for people that live in other parts of the UK, it's just a train journey away
If they could rush to the High Commission to report stolen passports, the it will most def be easy to go there to vote.
As I said, it's only for those that care bout Nigeria

God knows I won't shift an eyebrow if Nigeria gave George Bush honourary presidency tongue

talking from a UK perspective. sure why not, but a different card game exists in other countries. as big as this country is we have 2 consulates and 1 embassy, all on the east coast. ok maibe LA might have one which i doubt.

so eldee, its not as easy as PB&J sandwich.
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by eldee(m): 7:32pm On Jan 28, 2009
must_a_far:

talking from a UK perspective. sure why not, but a different card game exists in other countries. as big as this country is we have 2 consulates and 1 embassy, all on the east coast. ok maibe LA might have one which i doubt.

so eldee, its not as easy as PB&J sandwich.
It's not as easy as BMT sandwiches, definitely
But this is what we get for not being developed enough

The UK and US faced this same problem before electronic voting came in
So, till we get electronic voting, you'll have to drive down to your nearest embassy to cast your vote.
Again, that's if you really care . . . I don't!!!

@Kobojunkie
As I said, if you really cared, you'll go through it over and over again
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by mustafar1: 7:40pm On Jan 28, 2009
and for stating that you dont care you will be labelled a NAYSAYER. and your opinion wouldnt make sense to those who had previously thought you were making a case in their favor.
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by Kobojunkie: 7:45pm On Jan 28, 2009
Roflmao!!! NAYSAYER!!!!

@Eldee, I will care when I once again need to, but till then, I will enjoy my life. roflmao!!
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by BOSS7: 7:57pm On Jan 28, 2009
@ eldee

Have you seen how rude the embassies' staff are? They are very very rude to the point that one day I called to ask why the renewal of my passport was taking longer than usual i.e. three and half weeks (and counting) instead of the normal two days but the response was; "you're very stupid for questioning our actions, how dare you speak to me like that? How old are you sef?". The lady eventually hung up on me and I kept calling and whenever she realses it was me, she hung up. I eventually had to use some personal contacts to help me sort it out.

As a result of that, I missed a couple of job interviews and some other important appointment with my bank.

Overall, what I'm getting at is that even our embassy is not as organised to handle the Nigerians abroad and I bet the embassy staff might even bully people into voting for their candidate if this proposal gets the go-ahead. I just cannot put it past them.

You could leave corruption in the shores of Nigeria but you can never take out the corruption ingrained in the thread and veins of Nigerian politicians.
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by ayobase(m): 8:00pm On Jan 28, 2009
hmmmmmm!!
OK ooo!!!
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by JosBoy4Lif(m): 8:02pm On Jan 28, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

@ eldee

Have you seen how rude the embassies' staff are? They are very very rude to the point that one day I called to ask why the renewal of my passport was taking longer than usual i.e. three and half weeks (and counting) instead of the normal two days but the response was; "you're very stupid for questioning our actions, how dare you speak to me like that? How old are you sef?". The lady eventually hung up on me and I kept calling and whenever she realses it was me, she hung up. I eventually had to use some personal contacts to help me sort it out.

As a result of that, I missed a couple of job interviews and some other important appointment with my bank.

Overall, what I'm getting at is that even our embassy is not as organised to handle the Nigerians abroad and I bet the embassy staff might even bully people into voting for their candidate if this proposal gets the go-ahead. I just cannot put it past them.

You could leave corruption in the shores of Nigeria but you can never take out the corruption ingrained in the thread and veins of Nigerian politicians.

I wish Nigerians could drop their egotistical ways for a minute sometimes. I remember getting my passport renewal and the nonsense/insults I had to endure before finally getting it.
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by mustafar1: 8:23pm On Jan 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Roflmao!!! NAYSAYER!!!!

@Eldee, I will care when I once again need to, but till then, I will enjoy my life. roflmao!!

kobo, na wetin? no be how dem dey define naysayers be that. unfortunately the poor guy didnt know and walked right into it.

by the way this ur laugh go soon make people begin vex for u o.
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by IGWEUSA(m): 8:28pm On Jan 28, 2009
Another oppurtunity to rig elections.

BAD POLICY! embarassed
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by Kobojunkie: 8:31pm On Jan 28, 2009
must_a_far:

kobo, na wetin? no be how dem dey define naysayers be that. unfortunately the poor guy didnt know and walked right into it.

by the way this ur laugh go soon make people begin vex for u o.

roflmao!! I am already getting RAMMED on another thread for my roflmao!!! at what someone posted. Roflmao!! You know how people on here get sentimental and start foaming in the mouth without even reading the original posts or those that follow. that is worth a couple roflmaos. . . it is darn hillarious!!!
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by mustafar1: 8:34pm On Jan 28, 2009
i found the thread already. i guess its my fault i spoke too soon. grin
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by debosky(m): 8:53pm On Jan 28, 2009
@ JosBoy na keke you wan use reach Ottawa? grin

It's just four and a half hours away jo. . . .when you go, greet Mrs Okereke for me. The loud boisterous 'seke' in the Embassy.

It took me THREE weeks and enough toasting to get a letter certifying my driver's license. To vote, you will need to prostrate and beg this woman before she answers you. grin grin
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by otikpoko(m): 1:18am On Jan 29, 2009
@topic,i don't think so.
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by otikpoko(m): 1:19am On Jan 29, 2009
@topic,i don't think so.
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by Outstrip(f): 2:18am On Jan 29, 2009
They have found another way to rig the elections.
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by suprted(m): 4:34am On Jan 29, 2009
Do people at home even know what the manifesto of each party is or what each candidate stands for? Seems to me like it doesn't make a difference if you vote from Mars or from your hometown as you will still be voting through the same fog of ignorance.
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by nzeaji(m): 9:44am On Jan 29, 2009
of course they're nigerians and have every right to vote angry angry angry angry angry

just that, can government implement any decisions they make?? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by alex406(m): 10:13am On Jan 29, 2009
To me its another avenue for creativity and intellectual malpractices, how come they want them to vote from abroad when they dont have the facilities to make it real.Its just as good as giving non-nigerians the grace to vote for election.Please let people make them know they are so dumb to have implemented that.Regards EWU, Oh sorry IWU grin
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by udezue(m): 11:02am On Jan 29, 2009
yes we should vote
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by amaikama(m): 12:17pm On Jan 29, 2009
Tonye-T!! do the one here really vote at all
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by skyone(m): 3:13pm On Jan 29, 2009
inec is a joke to me and a figure headed electoral commission. They are complete waist of time, money and energy.
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by Sapphic: 8:17pm On Jan 29, 2009
I think they (we) should not be allowed to vote. First of all, for a grossly corrupt country like Nigeria, this will open the floodgates for politicians to inflate/baloon the number of voters (and please do not go on about how this has been done elsewhere. Transparency seems anathema to Nigeria). Secondly, I feel if you do not pay tax to the Nigerian government, you should not take advantage of those rights.
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by Theblessed(f): 11:40pm On Jan 29, 2009
This idea is very welcomed.  Nigerian citizens abroad are denied their rights to vote as a result of past and negative legislations.  This will bring Nigerian political system in line with other civilised countries of this world e.g America, Britain, Japan, Germany, France etc. It will also encourage the introduction of electronic system of voting thus, eliminate this rigging of elections that are so embroided into the fabrics of Nigerian political system.  But, knowing Nigeria my country, it would not prevent some from sabotaging the whole system in order to make their points.  In view of this, a stronger system needs to be developed that will with-stand these challenges to the developement of pure and modern democracy in Nigeria.  For the sake of true democracy, Nigerians should all welcome this idea.
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by JosBoy4Lif(m): 1:04am On Jan 30, 2009
udezue:

yes we should vote

See your life? You can not be Nigerian one minute and then want to claim another. You and your cohorts are crying separate Nigeria, yet you want to partake in voting, the Irony.
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by BlackMamba(m): 2:52am On Jan 30, 2009

What exactly do our oyibo folks want to get out of voting? If it gives you any personal satisfaction that you actually cast your vote, good for you. Unfortunately, votes don't count in the selection process adopted in Nigeria over the years.
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by hackney(m): 5:01am On Jan 30, 2009
Y not? una dey craze?
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by Nobody: 8:16am On Jan 31, 2009
This is totally unnecessary.
Diaspora votes will count towards nothing in Nigeria except for rigging purposes. Let elections in Nigeria become well conducted before extending it out of the country.
If there is any Nigerian outside the shores of naija that is so desperate to vote, He/She should go home during elections and vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by banom(m): 10:30am On Feb 01, 2009
Foreign electoral rigging system to be a political study very soon, Any way i will learn my self,

PDP may win in votes casted in Nigeria and AC will win in votes casted abroad, so who goes to Aso rock ?

Naija no dey tire , Each year each wahala.

We naver conduct a credible election in one single state, now we won enter abroad go show ourself to the world,

After first trial, countries will start banning us from conducting voting in their countries,

Any way good luck.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ogun Lawmaker Assassinated! / Policeman Seizes Kai Officer’s Phone For Taking Bribe_kettle Calling Pot Black / Female Suicide Bomber Hits Federal College Of Education In Niger State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.