Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,295 members, 7,884,567 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 12:25 PM

Moving To Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Moving To Nigeria (1440 Views)

Passengers Sitting On Top Of A Moving Train (photos) / 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria / Moving To Norway Soonest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Moving To Nigeria by Yoke(f): 2:05pm On Sep 07, 2006
I am going to be moving back to Nigeria in about a month after about 10 years in the US. For those on ground, I want to find out what the web-development market is like, I intend on setting up a business in this area. I know there is plenty of talent in Nigeria so I don't see any problem there, but what is the best way to get your name out in the industry?

Also, is it feasible to work from home in Nigeria? or will I need to invest in an office space? how much should I be thinking of investing, etc?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Moving To Nigeria by Bossman(m): 4:37pm On Sep 07, 2006
I do not live in Nigeria. But, from visiting online forums, and visiting Niger every year, I can shed a little bit of light on this. I am sure the folks in Niger will have more to add.

Web Development is an up an coming area. But, it will all depend on how you get yourself out there, what market you focus on, etc. The best way to get the word out is probably through samples of what you've done (a portfolio). There is already a lot of talent in this area, so you probably need to find a niche and take charge. Also, are you talking about just website development as in just client-side development, or we are talking about hard-core web application development. i.e. Do you have any programming skills (Java, JSP relational DB, etc.). If so, that can make you more marketable. So, you should probably advertise as a webapp developer rather than just a web site  developer. Even if you do not have these skills, you can hire folks that do very reasonably. I have a friend who lives here but has hired a number of VB programmers to work on an application is developing for some bank down there.

As for working from home, as long as the infrastructure is there, you should be fine. You will definitely need constant power supply. So, a generator is a must. And you will also need to hookup with a reliable ISP. I know there are some reliable ones, but can't remember the names right now. I know my sister, who also just moved back to Lagos signed up with one. I will actually be taking a laptop, router, etc. home for her when I visit in a few weeks. So, that I can configure a wireless connection for her.

Any specific questions, you can PM me.
Re: Moving To Nigeria by candylips(m): 5:02pm On Sep 07, 2006
well said bossman
Re: Moving To Nigeria by Chxta(m): 5:43pm On Sep 07, 2006
Reliable ISP, if you are moving to Lagos, I'd recommend Netcom, if Abuja I'd recommend Rosecom.

PM doesn't work around these parts last time I checked. . .
Re: Moving To Nigeria by my2cents(m): 6:36pm On Sep 07, 2006
In addition to what Bossman just said abv (Kudos to u, bossman, for a well-written response cool), I would say you shouldnt rule out an advertisement blitz. Though there are a lot of pple in the web dev biz, most are either solo or smale-scale. In my opinion, one thing that will make you stand out (and i am sure you will agree with me seeing that you have been around in the states long enough to know thatz how they do it grin) is making your potential clients think you are bigger than you really are. So consider placing ads in papers, tv and/or radio. It just might be worth it.

Finally, when you do get up and running, consider tapping the talent pool that is wasting in our various comp. sc. depts at your local university. Make them work as interns for small pay. I am sure they will more than oblige. This is one area in which, in my opinion, we are lacking. It would be a win-win situation: you get the cheap labor, they gain the experience.

I hope this helps.
Re: Moving To Nigeria by Yoke(f): 7:07pm On Sep 07, 2006
Thanks guys for the responses.

Bossman, yes I do have programming experience mostly with PHP and MySQL (as far as relational DBs are concerned), and also with a proprietary language that the company I currently work for uses (I have obtained a license to use this in Nigeria - as it has a lot of built-in functionality already).

What industries would you advise on focusing on (it's definitely easier to market when you focus on one)?

my2cents, thanks for the internship idea, Lord knows I have done my fair share of free work at internships  grin, but you learn a lot as well so no wahala. I'll also definitely give traditional advertising a shot.

Chxta thanks for the ISP info, I have been looking for this as well
Re: Moving To Nigeria by Bossman(m): 9:20pm On Sep 07, 2006
Thanks my2cents, candylips.

Yoke, AFAIK the financial sector (banking, financial services, insurance) seem to be up and coming market in Nigeria. At least in Lagos there are a lot of banks. So that will likely be a very good industry to focus on.

Also, I would investigate how the product your company uses can fit into the financial services sector in Nigeria, and try to market that to potential clients. Almost every company nowadays needs some form of "web presence" in order to compete. You just need to take that presence to the next level (you can visit some banks websites), and see how what you have can make a difference.  One key thing is being able to let your potential clients know how you can make a difference. You may need to create a fully functioning prototype and demonstrate it to them.

I hope you have a laptop. If you do not, I'd say you will need one.
Re: Moving To Nigeria by Yoke(f): 12:54am On Sep 08, 2006
Thanks bossman, I will look into those industries. smiley
Re: Moving To Nigeria by Inyeneobon: 4:08pm On Sep 12, 2006
You can make so much money from that business that u will not believe your eyes,just make you you have a good service that is very fast,not slow type.The business is booming.
Naija is not like abroad,u want people to be coming to your house fopr business,no better to find office space.
That will cost you but depends on which area of Lagos you want,some other guys will info9rm you about that properly.
Re: Moving To Nigeria by Yoke(f): 3:57am On Sep 13, 2006
Cool thanks Inyeneobon.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Ambassador To France Should Please Resign / Pls What's The Post Code Of Egbeda / Most Popular Nigerin Restaurants/bars In London?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.