Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,957 members, 7,873,070 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 07:39 AM

There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. (3180 Views)

Resettle Us Now, Stop Sending Us Rice And Beans – Bakassi Ruler, Okon Edet / Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life / Nigerian Police Force Now Stop Traffic Offenders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by mustafar1: 5:14pm On Jan 29, 2009
Boss, i dont think theres anything wrong with leaving things to God to judge. but im also of the school that thinks we shouldnt use that as the first and only resort.
in the case of the examples you gave, OBJ, IBB and their numerous brethren's in swindleTown i think we should make them account for their swindle actions before we "leave it up to God".
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by cre8tivity(f): 5:18pm On Jan 29, 2009
the sweetest boss and the real deal, must a far: i'm leaving everything to God to do the judging, i'm out of here. later guys.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by Kobojunkie: 5:21pm On Jan 29, 2009
The problem with the NO JUDGING mentality we have in Nigeria is that no where in the Bible ( for those who are afraid of judging) are we told that all judging should be left to God. Even the traditional gods have been known to demand the punishment of those who flout the laws of the land. The same goes for the Christian God.

Now when it comes to the No Judging brigade, I do find it laughable that the same people who cry out NO JUDGING in the name of religion( A card I think is mostly played to cover up insecurities and cowardice, by the way), turn out to be the same people who are more than willing to judge the next man or their next door neighbour as being unfit because of his ethnicity or skin color being different from theirs.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by Muza(m): 7:30pm On Jan 29, 2009
This article is very blasphemous,i would suggest that the author seeks God's forgiveness.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by oderemo(m): 7:40pm On Jan 29, 2009
GOD, OH GOD WHERE ARTH THOU.SHOW THY FACE TO THY BRETHREN , KOBO, MUST A FAR , CREATIVITY. BOSS,MUSHA, AND OTHER IN -THE -NET PROFESSORS.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by mustafar1: 7:43pm On Jan 29, 2009
ode remo, wetin happen? nowhere did anyone agree with the article.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by Kobojunkie: 7:44pm On Jan 29, 2009
Roflmao!!! When the word God is involved, all reason is literally out the door!! Rfolamo!!
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by oderemo(m): 7:47pm On Jan 29, 2009
MUSHA,

i thought you will have sourced out the undertone, by now.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by oderemo(m): 7:48pm On Jan 29, 2009
its tongue in {seek}.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by BOSS7: 7:57pm On Jan 29, 2009
Guys in the UK would recognise the advertisement on London buses, this advertisement "There's probably No God. Now stop worrying and enjoy yourself" is sponsored by the group of atheist and it's specifically aimed at the people killing themselves ( or even people thinkign of doing that in future) for the sake of religion (suicide bombers).

I think the advertisement strikes a chord and is very effective and not blasphemous in anyway at all. If we could see these in Nigeria and even if we could sponsor (regardless of religion) an advertisement like this targetting both Muslims and Hausas e.g. "There's probably no God. So stop worrying yourself and stop killing each other in the name of Jihad or Heaven". I feel the same would be very effective in Nigeria and would go a long way in improving people's lives. Even it could help curb corruption.

Don't you think?
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by Kobojunkie: 8:06pm On Jan 29, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

Guys in the UK would recognise the advertisement on London buses, this advertisement "There's probably No God. Now stop worrying and enjoy yourself" is sponsored by the group of atheist and it's specifically aimed at the people killing themselves ( or even people thinkign of doing that in future) for the sake of religion (suicide bombers).

I don’t get it.

B.O.S.S.:

I think the advertisement strikes a chord and is very effective and not blasphemous in anyway at all.

I am not sure what chord you are referring to here. I mean I don’t see how advertising that there is no God helps convince folks who already thinks you an infidel and hence waste-able, to stop.

B.O.S.S.:

If we could see these in Nigeria and even if we could sponsor (regardless of religion) an advertisement like this targetting both Muslims and Hausas e.g. "There's probably no God. So stop worrying yourself and stop killing each other in the name of Jihad or Heaven".

In Nigeria? You will only be ushering in more bloodbaths with that sort of campaign. What message do you convey when you try to tell people who believe that they are right in the sight of God, that there is no God? We are speaking of people who kill those who mistakenly drop a quran or draw pictures of their prophet. Please do not try this in Nigeria.

B.O.S.S.:

I feel the same would be very effective in Nigeria and would go a long way in improving people's lives. Even it could help curb corruption.

Don't you think?

I disagree. It will go along way in dividing the people even more. Worse, make atheists targets as well.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by BOSS7: 8:12pm On Jan 29, 2009
@ KoboJunkie
I guess we live in a civilised society and rather than the atheist forcing their beliefs on us, they thought of a public relations means of protuding their message to us in a bid as to create an effective and peaceful society and I just thought we could apply the same thing to Nigeria.

The other good things is that the advertising standards agency in London said that the advertisement did not breach the code of conduct hence the Christians and Muslims shouldn't probably find it offensive. That's why I thought if it works in the UK, then it should work in Nigeria (though not always).
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by Kobojunkie: 8:33pm On Jan 29, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

@ KoboJunkie
I guess we live in a civilised society and rather than the atheist forcing their beliefs on us, they thought of a public relations means of protuding their message to us in a bid as to create an effective and peaceful society and I just thought we could apply the same thing to Nigeria.

Nigeria is ages away from what we have in civilized worlds. Please note that! To deal with the religious problem in the country, we first have to deal with the many underlying issues that continue to embolden these zealots.

B.O.S.S.:

The other good things is that the advertising standards agency in London said that the advertisement did not breach the code of conduct hence the Christians and Muslims shouldn't probably find it offensive. That's why I thought if it works in the UK, then it should work in Nigeria (though not always).
What do you mean it works in the UK? Define ‘It works’. I have yet to find news of anyone that has been CONVERTED by the message in the Ads. Just because an AD like that can fly in the UK does not mean it works. It simply means that the people there seem to understand that even though they do not all agree, respect for other people’s opinions is crucial to the survival of society. Plus, the police there will definitely deal with anyone who tries to attack others because of the Ads. Go place the same sort of Ad in a place like Saudi Arabia or Jordan and see if you will get away with it. Roflmao!
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by BOSS7: 9:07pm On Jan 29, 2009
@ KoboJunkie

Okay, maybe I mean if UK could allow it (the advertising authorities, because they feel it could cause no harm better? cheesy) don't you then think it could effect the people positively? I know we're far from it but there surely should be a solution to calm the religious tensions out there in Nigeria.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by Kobojunkie: 9:14pm On Jan 29, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

@ KoboJunkie

Okay, maybe I mean if UK could allow it (the advertising authorities, because they feel it could cause no harm better? cheesy) don't you then think it could effect the people positively? I know we're far from it but there surely should be a solution to calm the religious tensions out there in Nigeria.

Anti-God ADs are certainly going to accomplish the opposite when it comes to religion. Try it! Walk up to anyone in Nigeria and try to talk about God not existing and guage the reaction. That person, if a friend, may never see you the same again.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by bawomolo(m): 1:21am On Jan 30, 2009
The Last thing we need in that country is anti-religion campaign of any sort. We have seen how deep religion goes when it comes to political decision making in that country ( even though it is more religion manufactured by our leaders), we don't even want to try such until we get a more stable country that is able to handle differing opinions on the topic of religion.

America is only the country it is today because of people challenging the system. The US would be different from what it is today if people like like susan b anthony, frederick douglas and MLK sat at home waiting for things to be stable. yes many people were martyrs but see what the US is today. The topic of religious diversity and secularism has been swept under the rug for too long in Nigeria. It won't get more stable if the status quo "lets all pray for tolerance bla bla" remains.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by Nobody: 1:24am On Jan 30, 2009
Boss, you have created such uncertainty and mental anguish in my mind that I was forced to wake up my shrink in the dead of night for some emergency counselling. Here is a partial list of the many Gods that I worship.

1. The God of Thunder ( Sango )
2. The God of Iron ( Ogun )
3. The God of Rivers ( Oya )
4. The God of Sex ( Hugh Hefner )
5. The God of Money ( Late, Great Sanni Abacha )
6. The God of Inactivity ( President Yar Adua )
7. The God of Silicone ( Pamela Anderson )

Well, you get the idea. Now, before my nervous breakdown becomes official and my lawyers get involved , which particular God are you claiming does not exist ?
rotflmao!!! oti oo
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by earTHMama: 1:27am On Jan 30, 2009
Boss, you have created such uncertainty and mental anguish in my mind that I was forced to wake up my shrink in the dead of night for some emergency counselling. Here is a partial list of the many Gods that I worship.

1. The God of Thunder ( Sango )
2. The God of Iron ( Ogun )
3. The God of Rivers ( Oya )
4. The God of Sex ( Hugh Hefner )
5. The God of Money ( Late, Great Sanni Abacha )
6. The God of Inactivity ( President Yar Adua )
7. The God of Silicone ( Pamela Anderson )

Well, you get the idea. Now, before my nervous breakdown becomes official and my lawyers get involved , which particular God are you claiming does not exist ?

grin grin grin grin

8. The God of satellite(Nigeria1/Becomerich)
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by bawomolo(m): 1:28am On Jan 30, 2009
What we need is re-training in what it means to be religious and how we can apply it for good and gain even more for self and for community.

do you need religion in order for good things to happen?

This article is very blasphemous,i would suggest that the author seeks God's forgiveness.

those missionaries and clerics such did a good job on them
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by Kobojunkie: 1:35am On Jan 30, 2009
bawomolo:

do you need religion in order for good things to happen?
Well, it is a choice to be religious, and yes, good things come from being religious, so one cannot say 100% that religion is to blame for the problems in Nigeria as one would have to prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that all evil comes from religion itself, and not from the people who use religion as their excuse to perpetrate evil against others. I am a Nigerian, I happen to be religious and I have had good things, happen to me, as a result. Choosing therefore to blame religion is as naïve a move as any other. People need to be made to understand that it is ok to be religious, but one still has to respect the next man. And that is why there is a great need for law enforcement in that country, that is how you help people understand these boundaries and the consequences of crossing them.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by bawomolo(m): 1:43am On Jan 30, 2009
Kobojunkie:

People need to be made to understand that it is ok to be religious, but one still has to respect the next man. And that is why there is a great need for law enforcement in that country, that is how you help people understand these boundaries and the consequences of crossing them.

agreed.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by JosBoy4Lif(m): 1:55am On Jan 30, 2009
The marriage of Religion and State should be divorced in Nigeria.
I hate hearing about subsidized pilgrimage to Mecca and Jerusalem.

Nigeria needs to separate Religion from State.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by BOSS7: 9:21am On Jan 30, 2009
JosBoy4Lif:

The marriage of Religion and State should be divorced in Nigeria.
I hate hearing about subsidized pilgrimage to Mecca and Jerusalem.

Does that happen? If so then we really need a mental check-up. Of course we need to "separate Religion from State". I 100% second that.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by Nobody: 12:41am On Feb 01, 2009
JosBoy4Lif:

[b]The marriage of Religion and State should be divorced in Nigeria.[/b]I hate hearing about subsidized pilgrimage to Mecca and Jerusalem.

I second this.
We, Nigerians, are so far behind!
More developed countries have done that hundreds of years back. undecided
That's why I said Nigeria is so hard to govern esp with it's strict religious mentality.

[aside] I wonder why the most religious regions are the one in great shambles
I understand that religion is important to some people, but they need not infringe other people's right just because the Bible/Koran state this and that.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by strangleyo: 2:33am On Feb 01, 2009
God is a mathematical construct. Does he play dice? Does he play dice AND cheat?

If god is partially represented by this formula?

Just as particles at the sub-atomic level can be in more than 1 place at the same time, can god?

Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by jamace(m): 7:55am On Feb 01, 2009
Don't you know that Nigeria is the home of "the animal called man"? grin.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by Jakumo(m): 9:38am On Feb 01, 2009
strangleyo:

God is a mathematical construct. Does he play dice? Does he play dice AND cheat?

Just as particles at the sub-atomic level can be in more than 1 place at the same time, can god?

Assigning an array of parallel-connected super-computers to perform triple integrals along the entire three-dimensional surface that would be generated if the statistical average density of all matter were expressed as a function of time and space, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle would only be obeyed PROVIDED that the resultant summation is assumed to span the interval between zero and infinity.

Therefore, God can ONLY exist for those who regularly surrender enough CASH to their fat, ranting, Mercedes-driving pastor.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by SkyBlue1: 11:39am On Feb 01, 2009
Jakumo:

Assigning an array of parallel-connected super-computers to perform triple integrals along the entire three-dimensional surface that would be generated if the statistical average density of all matter were expressed as a function of time and space, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle would only be obeyed PROVIDED that the resultant summation is assumed to span the interval between zero and infinity.

Therefore, God can ONLY exist for those who regularly surrender enough CASH to their fat, ranting, Mercedes-driving pastor.

LOL. @Jakumo, what level of trauma hath visited thee? What woe betide thine house? Was thou swindled out of thy hard earned cash by a yahoo yahoo 'man of the cloth'? I guess its a good thing the truth is not influenced by our opinions and views or the intelligence of our discourse just as an arguement cannot change bread to butter. cheesy
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by ModestSam(m): 1:11pm On Feb 01, 2009
The advert could be right, who knows.
In my opinion, the only thing you should concern yourself with is philantrophy for all, business with some, and religion for yourself.
If everyone can follow this simple rule, then we would all co-exist happily ever efter.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by goodass(m): 1:48pm On Feb 01, 2009
Generally, manmade laws and rules have supplanted . . . .the Ten Commandments and hellfire . . . And certainly, fear or love of God has nothing to do with the relative transparency in governance and governing in Britain. Nor was it God who taught them how to queue, how not to drop litter with sublime carefreeness.

dat kinda sums up d write-up: make we leave God alone o. if others can get it ryt wtout 'd God factor' y cant we d 'Goddy' folks? must we 'God' efrything?
Watz God Got 2do With It?
Conductor: (shadowing passengers) Egbeda! Egbeda! Enter wt ur N100 change, I no get change o! Egbeda, !, woleeee….!

Pax 1: (shouting @ d bus ‘conductor’) u pple r wicked, n heartless, y shld I pay N100, no be N50? U, u fit pay? Nonsense pple na so so ‘staff’ dem go dey claim if na dem, dem no fit pay!

Conductor: abeg madam I no 4ce u enter o. respect yasef o! u no know say hold up go dey 4 road by ds tym (830pm), plus flood sef because of d rain? Na 1-way I dey 4llow, police go collect dere own! If u no dey go abeg com down make correct pax enter.

Pax 2: everybody is a law unto himself in ds country. Ds agbero miscreants av dere share too! U’ll see now, one of dem wil soon com 4 dere share…

Agbero: (to d conductor) o ya bring N80 (datz 4 2 seatz) dere!

Conductor: wch kin N80? Abi craze dey worry u abi na u dey worry craze?

Agbero: ur bus no go move frm here o! oo ti e mo mi sha (u no knw me sef). O fe maa show ara e (u wan dey show yasef, abi)

Pax 3: driver! Tel ur conductor 2 pay now, abi u sha don collect N100 N100, abeg no delay us o!

Pax 2: watz all ds rubbish now?! (loosen his tie) plz letz go

The conductor eventually settled d agbero n we left Ikeja Under-bridge. After 5mins,

Pax 1: kai, see holdup oooo!

Conductor: u c wetin I dey tel u, wey u dey say N100 too much

Pax 1: abeg sharrap! Na me dey cause holdup?

Pax 2: (2d conductor) plz close ur door, d flood may seep in

Conductor: (2 Pax 2) oga sorry. Shooo, c flood, because of ds shikini rain?

Pax 3: wat do u expect wen dere is no drainage, only God knows how many homes flood don sack by now

Pax 2: datz true, wat a pity

Pax 1: na God go save us 4ds country, everyth just dey 1 kin’

Pax 3: yes my sista, itz only God dat can help us o. cos I just tire 4 everyth.

Conductor: e go beta

Pax 1: in Jesus’ name!

Everybody: Amen!!!

I was too tired 2 contribute 2d dscussn bt I cldnt help thinking abt d ending of d dscussn: itz our common resort in cases like ds as a pple: God! Yah, God!

Evryth rests at His doorstep in ds part of d world, so it seems 2 me.

Any politician goin thro hard tymz is quick 2 say ‘God wil vindic8 me, He’ll put my distractors 2 shame’ as if na God send Him go do shua shua. How abt d suffering masses? I bet u havnt 4gotten in a hurry d endless vigils of d striking teachers/lecturers n even pensioners, sendin SOS to God 4 divine interventn! Markets women keep groaning ‘Olorun wa gba wa o!’ (God com save us o!).

however, while not in any way undermining d place of God in d scheme of things, I beg 2 ask

- r we taking faith/religion 2 far?

- r we over-religious?

- or is it a case of misplacing religion/faith in d scheme of things?

- r we substituting religion 4 our indolence n inaction as a pple?

- r we shifting responsibilities to God, or wat?

- r we valid8ing Karl Max's quotation : 'Die religion, ist das opium des volkes', dat 'religion is d sigh of d oppressed cr8ure, d heart of a hrtless world, just as it is d spirit of a spiritless situation. It is d opium of d masses.'

-Is God a magician? Does he just arrive @ d scene n bingo therez d miracle! Or we r 2 set him in motion by 1st taking reasonable n pragmatic steps in addressin our wahala? heaven helps those who help demselves, not in 9ja.

- r we even correctly loc8d 4 d divine interventn we so much crave 4?

- wat wil it take God 2 intervene?

- China, Japan, 1ce a ‘nobody’ bt now world superpowers economically n military-wise…wat role did God or dere gods play? Can we learn frm d Asian Tigers?

- or is God powerless? Y isn’t he intervening?

- or cld it b dat He’s passing across a message by His silence? Is he proddin us 2 action by nt intervening?

- whoz deaf…Him or us?

So watz God got 2do wt our prosperity as a pple, as a nation? Does he need a plat4m 2 intervene? If I had d beautifl voice of Tina Turner, I wld av sung ‘Watz God got 2do wt it?’ Wat has he got 2do wt

-incessant teachers’ strike?

- dilapid8td social infrastructures – xpotatn system, health care, etc

- degradatn of 9ja Delta?

- downward spirallin of edu standards?

-embezzlemnt of public fundz 2d detriment of d masses?

- immunity of looters of public treasuries, even afta leaving office?

- increase in unemployment?

- non-functional oil refineries?

- no kerosene, no fuel, yet taxes r paid?

- assassinatn of political opponents?

- go-slow stress?

- insecurity of lives n ppty?

- daily brain-drain n labor 4ce drain?

- incessant power outage in d face of untapped 24/7 solar power?

- food scarcity, ration 1-0-1, or 0-1-1 in d midst of uncultiv8d land?

Wat!? Wat!!?? Wat!!!

Watz God got 2do wt it, wt us gettin it rite!?

Conductor: Egbeda, com down, we don reach…u pay o, u no pay, com down…!
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by strangleyo: 2:53pm On Feb 01, 2009
Jakumo:

I'd rather surrender my money to a crackhead. At least I know where the crackhead will spend it.
Re: There Is Probably No God. Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Yourself. by felifeli: 3:07pm On Feb 01, 2009
strangleyo:

one of the most moronic hypothesis I have ever read , I am afraid. You have not even defined your variables

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Uk Officials Quiz Ibori In Jail / Who Gets 2015? North Or East? / Revisiting Orkar’s Map Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.