Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,253 members, 7,880,937 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 09:35 AM

What Is Joy? A Short Story - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Is Joy? A Short Story (1205 Views)

Christopher (A Short Story) / Fate And Fortune(a Short Story) / Pleasure And Pain - A Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Joy? A Short Story by nellyme(f): 8:19am On Apr 16, 2015
For chucks87

© 2015.
All rights reserved.
No parts of this book may be reproduced or
transmitted in any form or by any means,
electronic or mechanical, including
photocopying, recording or by any information
storage retrieval system without without any
written permission from the Author.
Re: What Is Joy? A Short Story by nellyme(f): 8:22am On Apr 16, 2015
The joy I felt when I remembered the source of my joy.

It all started on a jolly sunday when I chatted with a pretty damsel and she promised to visit me at the office the next day.
The next day I whistled all through my stay in the bathroom. Once out, I took time to select my favorite shirt that fit so well you might think am going for a fashion parade and my pant was also tight. I applied my best deodorant 'Hug'. My roommates then were really surprised at my mood that morning. They teased me and asked me what was responsible. I couldn't get myself to tell them it. It was love.....
At the office I waited. All my customers were irritating. I never wanted to see anyone except my ghost friend who at a single thought of her I smile. My boss entered the office and sent me to get a certain software for troubleshooting a particular system. I sighed within me because I was not prepared to receive my sack letter yet. I told him alright but I got to pee first. I went outside and waited to see if she will show up but she didn't. I cursed under my breadth and regretted ever making a pact with her that I won't text or call. Her till when we meet. Yes, she gave me her contact but begged me not to call. I felt lost and angry. I went back inside the office, collected some money from my boss and left for the errand. Few minutes out a call came in to my phone, an unknown number. I picked and I swear it was an angel's voice, so sweet and melodious.
"Hello Nelson." The angelic voice said.
"Hi angel" I replied
"Wow. Do you call every girl an angel?" She asked.
"Not really. But your voice was quite captivating. It just slipped off my tongue."
"But who are you angel?"
"Promise, the girl you chatted with yesterday."
"Promise........wait promise, my very own promise? Mehn its this for real? What happened? I waited for a long time. I am out for an errand."
I asked myself how she was able to get my line because she refused to take it then during our chat. Her next speech answered my question.
"I came to your office, met your boss. He gave me your digits and I left because I didn't know till when you were going to stay out on the errand."
I ended the call without saying a word and switched off my phone.
The joy in my heart since morning I woke up died instantly. I asked myself what is joy? A still small voice within me answered 'Joy is what you want it to be....' She was my joy for the moment but now....I don't know what she is and I don't know what my joy is.

To be continued..............
Re: What Is Joy? A Short Story by lukuluku101(m): 8:38am On Apr 16, 2015
In NL lexicon, joy could be regarded as short for joystick.
Re: What Is Joy? A Short Story by nellyme(f): 9:02am On Apr 16, 2015
lukuluku101:
In NL lexicon, joy could be regarded as short for joystick.

Hahahahaha naughty you...
Re: What Is Joy? A Short Story by nellyme(f): 10:49am On Apr 16, 2015
Flakeey(f), cutieepearl(f), echobee(f),
MizEmpress(f), Krystalxxx(f), DermalCarotene(f)
, Shevi8, meimoks(f), TeHN, PrettyHausaGirl(f),
gloryaaa(f), Fantasyisland(f), cherrybrown(f),
Flytefalls(f), tchidi(f), 5p1naz(m), lynx200(m),
sholay2011(m), erad(m), tosyne2much(m),
dossypretty(f), missclasssy(f), Lala247(f),
hajruna(f), mimicious(f), cynhamscakes(f),
Xiadnat, edwife(f), ObiOkpor(m), ogorkojo(f),
bigtt76(f), Spotlessbabe(f), kennygee(f), onila(f),
kristen12(f), LadyX(f), KillerBeauty(f), Mhizizzy(f)
, Merlissa(f), rubey(f), stuff46, jessiecah(f),
Sparkle777(f), Zara09(f), ToyozzieTohBad(f),
trevolady(f), Fellycutie(f), thatgurlvixen(f),
cocoberry(f), sweettease(f), Airforce1(m),
TheFilmmaker, Naijasinglegirl, Princessderaa(f),
ellechrystal(f), pinkycute(f), Ifeann(f), Sapphire
06(f), misstique(f), cococandy(f), Glamrock(f),
teeghurl(f), JosephMNJ(m), Shawdey(f),
simonhabby(m), Nubreeze, dame29(f), TI
1919(m), peteruuu(m), saaedlee, LooKseeFar,
kayceerilyn(f), sexyseun(f), sinaj(f), pretydiva(f),
Sleekyshuga(f), prettythicksme(f), angelTI(f),
SweetyZinta(f), (f), DeeCherry(f), urchbarbie(f),
Blebleswag(f), itsphumbieee(f), helen4(f),
wealthygem(f), Fraih(f), Beamborla(f), zainyola
(f), softysparky(m), mirexxx(f), debrihachi(f),
gilgal7(f), OkuDiOver1(f), Ohibenemma(m),
starbhooy(m), ChikaSunday(m), Mattkent(m),
JulietAKK(f), laykorn, neily(f), vivaciouzz(f),
elantraceey(f), babyfun(f), Trypa(f), LillyAnne(f),
Juliaann(f), EroticAngelina(f), AfricanApple(f),
Cutesexy1(f), Harrychocoberry(m), Wikidraw,
pureIvory(f), vonn(f), Obinnau(m), EzePromoe,
Nimen(m), prof800(m), spywareczar(m), Extom
(m), killjoy(m), firstEVA(f), bishopofsoul(m),
Bluestarry(m), OMA4U(m), safarigirl(f), Ciela(f),
Abosi31(m), Ezekielosahon(m), Ignyte(m),
theSpark(m), writinganimal(m), Hidentity(m),
XeniaOnatopp, standd(f), Omolola1(f),
priscasmart(f), 360prince(m), Kruzykidt(m),
MidieMeliss(f), drcynthia(f), Dorisbest(f),
ebiagtales, omoshelwa(f), Calismart(m), candy(f)
, handie(m), KingzPen(m), Flakkydagirl,
2scorehigh(m), D9ty7(m), ghostwritter(m),
TemitopeDaniel(m), Bluemosquito(m),
DanWrites(m), Slickest(m), ZUBY77(m), repogirl
(f), rapmike(m), DaDevin(m), marioking(m),
audreytimms(f), whitemosquito(f), daveP(m),
ESIXLOVE, Queenxstar(f), stefikal(f),
DOMAWOLEYE(m), Cuddlemii, DEllaluv(f),
TiffanyJ(f), Lucentbeauty(f), yemi2plus(m),
Therock5555(m), senbonzakurakageyoshi,
Neduzze5(m), princesa(f), chistar01(m),
kayemjay(m), Sapphire86(f), MaziOmenuko,
free2ryhme, alleviate2002us(m), adegwurulez
(m), Clemzy16(m), frank317, Redmosquito(m),
Uniquexty(f), FoxyRebirth(m), Dygeasy(m),
noble4d(m), BukkyDan(f), oyestephen(m),
VanTee20(m), thedareafolabi(m), Ghyft(f),
LarrySun(m), PrettySpicey(f), pasionate(m),
Man4LordJesus, SammyHoe(m), ortopazz(m),
noeloge

Tags
Read along

2 Likes

Re: What Is Joy? A Short Story by lukuluku101(m): 11:41am On Apr 16, 2015
nellyme:

Hahahahaha naughty you...

grin grin
Re: What Is Joy? A Short Story by stuff46(m): 12:14pm On Apr 16, 2015
cheesy
Re: What Is Joy? A Short Story by nellyme(f): 12:36pm On Apr 16, 2015
Re: What Is Joy? A Short Story by TheFilmmaker: 1:31pm On Apr 16, 2015
What is this?
Re: What Is Joy? A Short Story by nellyme(f): 2:18pm On Apr 16, 2015
TheFilmmaker:
What is this?

If you don't know what it is please jump and pass

Shekina
Re: What Is Joy? A Short Story by nellyme(f): 2:21pm On Apr 16, 2015
I returned to the office dejected and reported to my boss. He gave me instructions to what to do and what not to do. I went to my desk to complete my task. But then I hated my boss and blamed him for my nemesis and mood swing.
I worked till 6pm and left for home still sad. So much for starting my week with a long face. Gosh how I hate mondays.
I got home, dropped my phone and briefcase on my centre table. Unbuttoned my favorite shirt and headed towards the bathroom for a shower. Once inside the bath tub I fell asleep. I woke up the next day still in the tub, I took my bath and prepared for the days work. My guys, two of them precisely who I share my flat with traveled for their sisters bride price payment. So I was alone. I dressed and switched on my phone. 3 sms came in. The first from 34250 "if you want to verify the colour of your shit each day send YES to 34250 @ #100/7days.
The second was from 4100 "To share a coke with Amadioha and Ogbanje dial 4100 to register"
Mehn I tire for mtn network and their messages. I deleted both of them and checked the third sms, from a number 07041966643 "Please call me ASAP, I'm sorry for my behaviour. Promise."
My heart literally jumped out of my skin. My very own promise. I dailed her line and it connected. She answered at the third ring.
"Good morning , Nel" my angel said.
"Good morning sweetest angel, how was your night?"
"Fine thank you. Yours?"
"Fine as well. Though I slept sad but I'm happy now. I can stay hungry all day if only I will be on the phone with you all day as well."
"At some point it might be itchy to the ear. Why don't I come around to your home now? Not the office cos am free for today."
"Wow. What? Are you serious? Just give me a moment I will call you back."
I ended the call and called in sick at the office. My boss said I could be absent for two days and make sure I call in healthy on thursday. I leaped with joy and thanked him. I called my angel and gave her my address. I got to work immediately. I swept, I cleaned, I moped, I rinsed, I almost licked my room to make sure it was in order for the arrival of my angel. I rushed to a nearby market and bought things to prepare stew with rice. It was 9am already when I returned and started preparing the meal. First, I per-boiled the rice and put it on fire. I proceeded to cut the fresh tomatoes and onions. I bought fresh pepper and I meant to grind it so I brought down my mortal and pestle which stays on top of my sink and cleaned it. I poured the pepper inside and started the ground. Few minutes later I don't know how it happened or what caused it but the pepper flew right inside my eyeballs. I was on fire. My ears were not responding for a while. I touched the things around me to see if I can get water to rinse my face. Unknowingly o dipped both my hands inside the mortar. My hands became hot instantly as if raw acid was poured on my skin. I heard my phone ringing. Sweat dripped on my forehead and in a bid to wipe it off I rubbed my hands on my face. I smeared my face with pepper. I screamed. I heard a knock on my door. I even forgot I was expecting my angel and the main reason why I started cooking. I was in pains. I didn't know what to do. To answer my phone if I were to find it? To answer the door? Where the hell is water when I needed it. I managed to trace my steps to the door because a second party could really be helpful. I was crying and sweating profusely. My skin was hot. Did I tell you I was naked? I don't think so. I undressed when I got back from the market to enable me cook without stress. I managed to get the door opened. And the voice I heard was enough to stop my tears but not to quench the fire.
"Jeez, what are you doing? Is this some kinda joke?" My angel said
I couldn't say anything. I resumed my wails of turmoil with hope that help is here and I will feel better soon. But the worst happened. She touched me. No, she slapped me and banged the door on my face. My angel left me. I fainted.
Mehn this aint no joy to me. I still asked WHAT IS JOY?

THE END!!!!

1 Like

Re: What Is Joy? A Short Story by chuks87(m): 5:55pm On Apr 16, 2015
nellyme:
For chucks87

© 2015.
All rights reserved.
No parts of this book may be reproduced or
transmitted in any form or by any means,
electronic or mechanical, including
photocopying, recording or by any information
storage retrieval system without without any
written permission from the Author.

omg... wao... speechless... thnx honey... I Love you so much Sweetheart.
Re: What Is Joy? A Short Story by nellyme(f): 6:10pm On Apr 16, 2015
chuks87:

omg... wao... speechless... thnx honey... I Love you so much Sweetheart.

Love u too sweedy, my honey pie u r welcome

1 Like

Re: What Is Joy? A Short Story by bigwig97(m): 5:16pm On Apr 17, 2015
What is joy?
According To The Oxford Advanced Learner Dictionary, Joy is blah..blah..blah..
waiting for you, nellyme, to tell what joy really is.
nice work.
Re: What Is Joy? A Short Story by nellyme(f): 6:16pm On Apr 17, 2015
bigwig97:
What is joy?
According To The Oxford Advanced Learner Dictionary, Joy is blah..blah..blah..
waiting for you, nellyme, to tell what joy really is.
nice work.

Tnx will update tomorrow
Re: What Is Joy? A Short Story by LadyX(f): 7:27pm On Apr 18, 2015
Nice story!
Re: What Is Joy? A Short Story by nellyme(f): 10:42am On Apr 19, 2015
LadyX:
Nice story!

Tnx for following

(1) (Reply)

Back Again At The Foothills Of Greed And The War Of Ants By Idris Amali / 51 Words You Should Know How To Pronounce [part 2] / Only For Love "Episode 4" written by @saint_haywhy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.