Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,388 members, 7,881,405 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 06:48 PM

Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University (6070 Views)

Opeyemi Enoch Has NOT Solved The Riemann Hypothesis: Didnt Get Any $1M / Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M / Website to Get Info on uk or Us University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by Konquest: 12:53am On Jan 30, 2009
@aieromon

Mr. Kase Lawal was born in 1954 and got his Bsc. in 1976 at the age of 22! smiley

He did NOT get his Bsc in Chemical engineering at 32 years in 1976 just like
you stated in your post. 

He is a graduate of Texas Southern University with a bachelor’s degree in chemistry and a master’s degree in business administration, finance and marketing from Prairie View A&M University of Texas. He was most recently awarded an honorary doctorate in philosophy from Fort Valley State University.

I've been following the activities of this Nigerian-American International Business man - Kase Lawal since I got to know about him in 2000 and I must say here that he has been sponsoring Nigerians on scholarships to the United States - especially in the field of engineering. He's someone who doesn't make a noise and is a moslem and interacts regularly with Houston-based Nigerian-American Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon on issues relating to the Nigerian and Nigerian-American community in the United States. He's married to Eileen Lawal who he met in school.

Mr Lawal is a man I'm proud of because CAMAC was voted as the largest black-owned business in the United States. It would be inappropriate for some people to start refering to the man as a collaborator with "any government in power" because he made millions from crude oil in Africa and South America.

You may all wish to visit CAMAC Holdings' Website by clicking the Newsroom link below:

http://www.camacholdings.com/newsroom/press.html

You'll read more articles in PDF format:

11.07.08:  CAMAC profiled in Upstream Magazine

01.08.07: CAMAC profiled in USA Today’s Executive Suite

11.27.06: CAMAC named to FORBES Magazine’sTop 400 American Privately Owned Companies List

06.14.06: Kase Lawal Featured in June 2006 Black Enterprise Cover Story

05.23.06: CAMAC International Corporation Named The 2006 Company of the Year

01.01.06: CAMAC profiled in EBONY Magazine

Happy reading!  smiley

Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by bawomolo(m): 1:02am On Jan 30, 2009
    CNN won't report this kind of News, only to do documentaries on 419.

there are numerous alumni that donate to their school without it being mentioned in University paper.  some people just aren't interested in all that fanfair. There's nothing wrong in donating to your alumni. it's a sign of appreciation.  Maybe the Alumni of Nigerian universities should do the same thing rather than abandoning their schools.
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by earTHMama: 1:08am On Jan 30, 2009
there a numerous alumni that donate to their school without it being mentioned in University paper. some people just aren't interested in all that fanfair. There's nothing wrong in donating to your alumni. it's a sign of appreciation. Maybe the Alumni of Nigerian universities should do the same thing rather than abandoning their schools.

Exactly.
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by earTHMama: 1:10am On Jan 30, 2009
more meaningful giving it to US than Nigeria
Abi ooo because they will line their pockets with the whole thing if given to them.
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by JosBoy4Lif(m): 1:18am On Jan 30, 2009
His wifes name is Eileen? I don't know any Nigerian women name Eileen, am I to assume she is oyinbo?
Maybe his wife put him up to it. tongue

But on a serious note why are we concerned with what the man does with his fortune. If he takes the money and burns it that is between him and his Allah.
One poster mentioned that he has been giving out scholarships to individuals to me that is enough philanthropy for Nigerians everywhere to be grateful off. But then again are Nigerians grateful for anything
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by lacrimose(f): 1:35am On Jan 30, 2009
First of all, I am ashamed that i didn't do the math. So he got his bsc at 22. I saw a picture of his wife, she might be african american, she is definitely black though.

Everyone is right in my opinion, he has every right to do whatever he likes with his money but it would have been nicer if the money was spent for the welfare of his own people. Well, I am glad he is a good role model for some at least we dont hear dubious claims from him unlike our prof. Philip Emeagwali
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by Hauwa1: 1:56am On Jan 30, 2009
i think he is married to an AA or white woman. i once read abt him in a mag i forgot where the woman came from but not nigeria.

nice he gave the bucks to US uni. and thank God not nigeria. it would have ended up in someone else account. the guy is not stupid.
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by Nobody: 2:01am On Jan 30, 2009
lacrimose:

First of all, I am ashamed that i didn't do the math. So he got his bsc at 22. I saw a picture of his wife, she might be african american, she is definitely black though.

Everyone is right in my opinion, he has every right to do whatever he likes with his money but it would have been nicer if the money was spent for the welfare of his own people. Well, I am glad he is a good role model for some at least we dont hear dubious claims from him unlike our prof. Philip Emeagwali
@ 32 actually
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by lacrimose(f): 4:33am On Jan 30, 2009
HeatFusion:

@ 32 actually

Now i am getting confused

Born 1954
Got his Bsc 1976

1976 - 1954 = 22
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by Sapphic: 5:15am On Jan 30, 2009
LMAO @ Broken news

@ Topic,

Nice one. smiley
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by princekevo(m): 6:16am On Jan 30, 2009
Why are Nigerians making big deal out of this? Financial Advisors,
The guy is jst spending his money where he thinks is beneficial to him, No body Knows the assistance he might have recieved from the school during his studies,
Moreover the $1million he made it where?There and he spends it there, You can only block where u are eating,
No body should blame the guy coz we have a lot of people who make their millions everyday in Nigeria there and have done nothing in return,
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by Nobody: 7:47am On Jan 30, 2009
Why has every news now become a breaking news or "Broken News" on Nairaland
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by Jarus(m): 8:11am On Jan 30, 2009
Personally, I don't see anything wrong in the oil magnate's action. He has lived all his adult life in US. He made it in US. He is highly rated in US. Finalist for US entrepreneur of teh year far back 1994, just at 40 then. I read somewhere, not long ago, that he was rated the second most successful black entrepreneur in Us today. Giving back to the society that made him is not bad as far as I'm concerned, moreso that he still associates himself with Nigeria. I once read in one magazine, few months back, how generous he used to be anytime he's in town in Ibadan.

aisha2:

Why has every news now become a breaking news or "Broken News" on Nairaland
I thought I was teh only one worried by this o
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by ilaugh1: 10:42am On Jan 30, 2009
@konquest

U are the only one who ever made sence.
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jan 30, 2009
Konquest:

@aieromon

Mr. Kase Lawal was born in 1954 and got his Bsc. in 1976 at the age of 22! smiley

He did NOT get his Bsc in Chemical engineering at 32 years in 1976 just like
you stated in your post.

He is a graduate of Texas Southern University with a bachelor’s degree in chemistry and a master’s degree in business administration, finance and marketing from Prairie View A&M University of Texas. He was most recently awarded an honorary doctorate in philosophy from Fort Valley State University.

I've been following the activities of this Nigerian-American International Business man - Kase Lawal since I got to know about him in 2005 and I must say here that he has been sponsoring Nigerians on scholarships to the United States - especially in the field of engineering. He's someone who doesn't make a noise and is a moslem and interacts regularly with Houston-based Nigerian-American Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon on issues relating to the Nigerian and Nigerian community in the United States. He's married to Eileen Lawal who he met in school.

Mr Lawal is a man I'm proud of because CAMAC was voted as the largest black-owned business in the United States. It would be inappropriate for some people to start refering to the man as a collaborator with "any government in power" because he made millions from crude oil in Africa and South America.

You may all wish to visit CAMAC Holdings' Website by clicking the Newsroom link below:

http://www.camacholdings.com/newsroom/press.html

You'll read more articles in PDF format:

11.07.08: CAMAC profiled in Upstream Magazine

01.08.07: CAMAC profiled in USA Today’s Executive Suite

11.27.06: CAMAC named to FORBES Magazine’sTop 400 American Privately Owned Companies List

06.14.06: Kase Lawal Featured in June 2006 Black Enterprise Cover Story

05.23.06: CAMAC International Corporation Named The 2006 Company of the Year

01.01.06: CAMAC profiled in EBONY Magazine

Happy reading! smiley

Thank you juh. People here don't know shit and they'll be blabbing.
I bet they don't know that he sponsors scholarships for nigerian petroleum engr graduates @ UofH.
It's when stuff like this happens that they'll start shouting.
He graduated from TSU and he's giving back. End of discussion.
This is someone who has benefitted from houston so why should this make so much noise. He's doing what any sane person would do.
Why should he donate to a University in Nigeria so that the Vice Chancellor can buy him/herself two new 14 million naira Range Rover SUV's (omo na wetin dey n vogue for naija now be dat oo).

If/When i get to his level, i will definitely give back to my alma mattttttaaa. Nigerian university ko nigerian glorified secondary school ni. UofH 4eva.
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by blacksta(m): 3:26pm On Jan 30, 2009
A-town:

Thank you juh. People here don't know shit and they'll be blabbing.
I bet they don't know that he sponsors scholarships for nigerian petroleum engr graduates @ UofH.
It's when stuff like this happens that they'll start shouting.
He graduated from TSU and he's giving back. End of discussion.
This is someone who has benefitted from houston so why should this make so much noise. He's doing what any sane person would do.
Why should he donate to a University in Nigeria so that the Vice Chancellor can buy him/herself two new 14 million naira Range Rover SUV's (omo na wetin dey n vogue for naija now be dat oo).

If/When i get to his level, i will definitely give back to my alma mattttttaaa. Nigerian university ko nigerian glorified secondary school ni. UofH 4eva.

Thank you my brother. The issue here is just jealousy. The kind of money many will never see in their lifetime
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by jensinmi(m): 5:46pm On Jan 30, 2009
@ A-town.

Chai!! My Guy. You mean I can get a brand new Range Rover SUV in Nigeria for N14 million. I'm highly interested o. Where and how??
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jan 30, 2009
jensinmi:

@ A-town.

Chai!! My Guy. You mean I can get a brand new Range Rover SUV in Nigeria for N14 million. I'm highly interested o. Where and how??

My guy u too like awoof. Ole ni e. grin
That was when the naira was like 118 to the dollar oo. Plus, u also have to consider the model, HSE, etc
Its probably like 150 billion naira now since one dollar is now 290 naira. grin
Western union, here i come.!!!!!!!!!
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by jensinmi(m): 5:41pm On Jan 31, 2009
@ A-town

My man. There's nobody who doesn't like awoof o. Seriously though, I'd I've bee on that in a minute if it were a HSE Sport.

Well, you can't blame a brother for trying.
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by chei: 5:55pm On Jan 31, 2009
Whats broken the news?
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by OsatoSula: 7:41pm On Jan 31, 2009
Toyosi - I am on your side but not 100%. Not 100% means he does the same donations to schools and hospitals in Nigeria as well and if his intentions for the donations are genuine!!! otherwise 110% bro

Others - I guess what Toyosi is trying to say is that "charity begins at home" and i do sincerely hope he pays his taxes on the profits from his Nigerian operations in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by gadogado(m): 2:51am On Feb 02, 2009
A Texas oilman, Mr. Kase Lawal, who is a major fundraiser for the campaign of one of the Democratic Presidential candidates in the forthcoming United States election, Senator Hilary Clinton, has been dropped from the committee over allegations of fraud for which he is being investigated in Nigeria.

Lawal, is being investigated by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the police for allegedly defrauding the Nigerian government by illegally pumping and exporting 10 million barrels of crude oil.

Lawal who is based in Houston is at least the fourth person accused or convicted of criminal wrongdoing to help finance Clinton's political ambitions since 2000 and the second in her quest for the White House. The list also includes Chinese and Pakistani fugitives and a former Miami lawyer who was convicted of defrauding Cuba.

According to information gathered from the U.S., there is no indication that Clinton's campaign was aware of Lawal's legal problems when it accepted his help in raising more than $100,000, but U.S.-based McClatchy Newspapers investigation both in the U.S. and Nigeria suggests that her campaign did little to scrutinize the background of Lawal, one of its top fundraisers.

Although Jay Carson, Hilary Clinton's campaign spokesman, brushed off such criticism, National Daily intelligence gathered that the Campaign that has suffered several setbacks recently that led to increased calls for her to concede the presidential ticket to rival, Senator from Illinois, Barack Obama, has already concluded plans to drop the Nigerian-born American who is a known philanthropist and community leader in Houston from its team. As a preliminary move, some top officials of the Campaign have advised Lawal to resign from the fundraising team pending the determination of the allegations against him.
According to sources close to the campaign, the move is to prevent the possibility of the opposition capitalising on the allegations to further deal a blow to the ambition of Clinton.

"While no vetting process is perfect, our vetting department does extensive vetting in order to catch any issues with donors," he said. "And to our knowledge, Mr. Lawal is an upstanding member of his community in Houston."

However, a simple Google search by McClatchy produced reports of serious allegations about some of Lawal's business dealings in Nigeria and South Africa.
Clinton's campaign lists Lawal among about 250 "Hillraisers" who pledged to collect at least $100,000 in donations. Clinton attended a fundraising luncheon at Lawal's home in Houston last Aug. 11 that generated more than $100,000, and she spoke to about 250 guests gathered around Lawal's indoor swimming pool, including two former Houston mayors and Shell Oil President John Hofmeister.
Lawal, 53, who holds dual U.S.-Nigerian citizenship and whose energy company has become one of the nation's largest black-owned businesses, said in interviews that he "unequivocally and vigorously" denies the Nigerian charges.

Lawal, a commissioner of the Houston Port Authority since 1999, a community leader and a philanthropist, said he didn't know of the charges against him until McClatchy Newspapers contacted him last week. Saying he was "stunned," Lawal said he has travelled at least 70 times to Nigeria since 1999, is often greeted by police and has never been served with legal papers.

Lawal said he suspects that a now-deceased partner in a Niger Delta drilling venture "trumped up" the accusations as part of a scheme to blackmail subsidiaries of his company, CAMAC International Corp.

Back in Nigeria, Lawal, president of CAMAC International who reportedly hosted the wife of President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua, Turai, to a lavish party in Houston Texas is reportedly doing everything within his powers and influence to find a soft landing as he is said to have set aside some millions of dollars to mobilise all and sundry in his favour.

The game-plan, according to sources, is for a speedy investigation to be carried out and Lawal, who is warmly playing himself into the heart of the wife of President Yar'Adua, allegedly for oil blocs, be given a clean bill by the Police and Justice Ministry and same communicated to the U.S. so as to avoid being investigated by relevant security agencies.
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by Tonim(f): 3:00am On Feb 02, 2009
LMAO @ [b]Broken [/b]News grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by Konquest: 1:38am On Feb 03, 2009
i_laugh:

@konquest

U are the only one who ever made sence.

Well, thank you i_laugh! smiley

I just feel we need to get our facts right about the source of wealth of some of our

successful entrepreneurs before they are savage verbally or visited with mob justice.

It's NOT every Nigerian millionaire or billionaire that used "jazz" to make money or smuggled cocaine in the arse from Naija to Yankee.

Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by Ndipe(m): 1:52am On Feb 03, 2009
TOYOSI20:

I hear ya. . .and i most def. see where u coming from. . . . .

I personally am a firm believer in giving back. . .afterall is it not better to give than to receive??

All I'm saying is that in as much as Dr Lawal is a philanthropist or however it is we might want to qualify him, i still say

home is where it starts, really haven't heard of anything hes done for the people that really need it back home,
And whats wrong wid sponsoring highly gifted kids form back home to study here, be it his school or wherever else

now I'm looking at this from a "give a man fish and u feed him for a day. . .

but teach him to fish and u feed him for a life time'. . .point-of-view now.

I mean a milla is a whole Lotta chedderz, and it would certainly go a long way back in Nigeria!!

How do you know he hasnt, and why begrudge him for funding his alma mater that gave him the knowledge to suceed in America?
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by Konquest: 2:21am On Feb 03, 2009
@JosBoy4Lif, @lacrimosse, @Hauwa

Yes Dr. Kase Lawal's wife Eileen is an African-American.

You can see her in the picture below with her husband and Mr. Earl G. Graves Sr. the Barbadian-American founder and publisher of the well-respected U.S-based BLACK ENTERPRISE magazine. :-)

Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by Nemeziz9ja: 4:01pm On Feb 24, 2009
Bottom Line: another way the money that could have helped develop the failing Nigerian education system goes abroad
We are just misplacing our priorities and milking ourselves dry in the process;
Politicians= Offshore Accounts, Kids schooling abroad, Houses abroad
Civil Servants= same as above
Others= same as above- stolen funds
undecided
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by tpia: 4:05pm On Feb 24, 2009
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by Nobody: 4:26pm On Feb 24, 2009
@topic

Perfect for him and all the progressive and peace loving people of nigeria.
I rather follow his steps than donate to the jihadists movement up northern nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by mccloud224(m): 3:13am On Aug 12, 2009
@ NL Posters.

All these jealous and envious posters sef.Na wa for una.To all those thumping their chest,screaming charity begins at home and all that rubbish, i have one question for you : WHEN LAST DID YOU GIVE ALMS TO BEGGARS? In fact, when last did you do anything meaningful to your communities?Some of you don't even remember your family members not to talk of the community at large and yet you come on here and post rubbish replies.

This is a man who made it in the U.S. The vast amount of knowledge he started with was derived from that school and his donation is a means of saying thank you.Besides that, he has been running scholarship programs for petroleum engineers over the years BUT JEALOUSY people no go see dat one.What they really want is to see his money finished and mis-managed all in the name of charity.The fact that a human being can give out money of that magnitude away is too complicated for their brains to decipher.Well, my word for una be dis : ANYBODY WEY DEY VEX FOR ANOTHER PERSON MONEY NO DESERVE ANY BLESSING FROM ABOVE.Na jealousy and poverty go finish una.

Furthermore, this guy has no obligation to anyone.Is he wants to set all his money ablaze, it's nobody's business (I'm sure all the jealous charity supporters would love that).Besides, we all know what would happen if he gave his money out to charity (straight to offshore account).How many of you "charity" supporters would honesty disburse the funds if that $1 million was given to you?Ehhhnnn?How many.

Thieves.
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by nex(m): 8:18am On Aug 12, 2009
Una too dey beef successful people sef. If It's not Dangote, It's this Kase Lawal. The man is not a Nigerian. He's lived virtually all his life and build his business and family in the USA. If the most of you sometimes read Ebony Magazine, you will notice him being mentioned as one of the riches, most influential and successful African-Americans alive.

CAMAC Holdings has done a lot of charity works not just in Nigeria but the whole of Africa. I first read about Kase Lawal in an issue of Business Africa on the count of social works his firm was doing in Africa. However, It's NOT BY FORCE!!!
Re: Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University by emyah(m): 3:38pm On Aug 17, 2009
there is nothing wrong with giving back to the country that made U, which is far better then former Governor of Benni state lucky . took money from Nigeria and bought a properties wort more than 20.000 000m dollar.here in South Africa

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ambrose Ali University (AAU) 2012/2013 Pume And Admisions. / Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? / U.I Change Of Course Registration Has Commenced.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.